Vancouver MP supports BROTHEL over SSS

Cashcleaner:

If you read the correspondence between Libby Davies and some of the posters on here she makes it quite clear that she has been taking active steps to dissuade key decision makers from moving this project forward.

While she may not have a "hate-on" that is specific to the Whitecaps, she is a public figure who has made it publicly known that she opposes this project.

As you will also see in her correspondence, much of the reasoning behind her opposition is the same ridiculous, scare-mongering nonsense that was cooked up by a group of developers / lobbyists who retained a pricey PR firm to devise a crafty smear campaign against the project.

That smear campaign was specifically designed to manipulate support from the highly vocal anti-poverty / anti-development / anti-corporate crowd in the downtown eastside (which happens to be Libby Davies' core voting support).

Stories circulated in the neighbourhood like wildfire about how the stadium was going to be funded by taxpayers, how it was going to cause toxic train wreck armageddon, and how hordes of hooligans from Swangard were about to invade their neighborhood, pissing in the streets and beating homeless people to death.

It took months of effort by the Whitecaps and by countless dedicated soccer supporters to win over the media, win over city hall and quash these ridiculous rumours...

So here we are more than a year later.... why hasn't Libby Davies educated herself on current events in her neighbourhood? Why is she still spouting the same old tired nonsense about these ridiculous scare issues that have been proven to be exaggerated and false? Even the condo developers who started this mess are now on board, FFS!

One might be reluctant to accuse Libby Davies of specifically targeting the Whitecaps, but she certainly appears to be blissfully marching along to the very tune that was written by the developers who were</u> targeting the Whitecaps. That makes her part of the overall problem.

She's not the engineer behind the wheel of the "toxic train to armageddon"... but she's certainly shoveling coal on the fire.

I note with interest that the official development plan for the district around the Waterfront Station posted in another thread shows two parcels between the station and the water, right over the railway tracks, designated for commercial development. What is the difference between two commercial developments packed with people and part of a 20,000 seat stadium over the tracks as far as Libby Davies is concerned I wonder?

Imagine if someone wanted to build a stadium to bring something American to Vancouver (NFL, Basketball (whatever basketball's initials are, I don't know or give a toss), or baseball (oh, that'd already been done, and with public money and no team (although the Lions use it a couple of times a year)and takes up a huge amount of space right in the middle of the city.)

Anyway, would there be any red tape for someone who wanted to build a stadium for one of those "sports" with his own money? Why does footy always face such an uphill battle in this city? One reason I keep my distance from supporting this stadium is because I'm so frustrated that I know I would blow my top and do a disservice to the cause. I appreciate the efforts of people who can go to meetings and keep their cool in the face of anti-stadium zealots with the combined IQ of a chestnut.

^ Well to be honest, if a new hockey arena is constructed in almost any Canadian city, the likeliest scenario is that the facility will draw enough people to pay off the initial investment in a fairly small short of time. The same guarantees don't exist with basketball, soccer, cricket, etc.

quote:Originally posted by Cashcleaner

^ Well to be honest, if a new hockey arena is constructed in almost any Canadian city, the likeliest scenario is that the facility will draw enough people to pay off the initial investment in a fairly small short of time. The same guarantees don't exist with basketball, soccer, cricket, etc.

Missed the point entirely. Kerfoot is asking to be allowed to use his own money to build a stadium. Whether he makes it back or not it is his money to spend. Doesn't factor into the equation for planning permission.

Actually I've heard Davies is the founder and main member of the People for the Protection of Chestnut Intelligence Party - her title of Head Nut has been recognized by almost everyone in her ward including the Vancouver Squirrels and Chipmunk Society and members of olympic brothel union local #6969.

quote:Originally posted by ted[/i

Missed the point entirely. Kerfoot is asking to be allowed to use his own money to build a stadium. Whether he makes it back or not it is his money to spend. Doesn't factor into the equation for planning permission.

Ah, well in that case your absolutely right. Still gotta appease the locals no matter what's getting built, though.

I used to live in East Vancouver in Libby Davies stronghold but when I go back to Canada I think I'm moving out east. I consider myself a liberal person but this is complete and utter BS. A brothel? How about building some positivity that people can look to for hope instead of more things that reinforce a negative lifestyle. Can't generous and successful Vancouverites like Kerfoot just be allowed to build something that normal people and their families can enjoy?

A BROTHEL!?

• 2 months later...

Repsonse has been cranked out already.... bada bing!

Even has a corny soccer reference at the end.

Get those letters out guys... remember, she's not just saying "no" to a stadium... she's denying residents a lot of other great opportunities too. Read my letter and you'll know what I mean.

Editor:

It's sad that NDP MP Libby Davies can't see past her protest signs to recognize the obvious benefits that her constituents could gain from the generosity of the Vancouver Whitecaps and their philanthropic owner Greg Kerfoot.

Some of the most appealing things about the Whitecaps stadium proposal are the various community assets that might be included along with it.

These include things like an open-air public art space, a public walkway along the waterfront, free stadium use for civic events, jobs for downtown eastside residents and even a daycare centre.

The Whitecaps are a first class organization that understands the meaning of giving back to the community. They work tirelessly with kids in our schools, they help build soccer parks across the province (most recently in 100 Mile House), and they're even supporting Vancouver's Homeless World Cup soccer team.

If Libby Davies plans to ride the coat-tails of controversy into the next election campaign, she's in a for a shock. This stadium is something that an overwhelming majority of Vancouverites are crying out for, and they are baffled by the bureaucracy holding it up.

Davies has made the NDP's position known, and her team is offside by a mile. It's time for our Liberal and Conservative MPs to lace up their boots, sort out the red tape and score one for the good guys.

Archived