Vancouver MP supports BROTHEL over SSS

Just so ya know....

It appears that Vancouver MP Libby Davies (NDP) has been pegged to bring forward a private member's bill calling for the establishment of a brothel in downtown Vancouver.

Apparently, she feels a brothel has more of a role to play in the revitalization of a decaying neighbourhood than a soccer stadium that comes at no cost to taxpayers.

The story broke on CKNW radio earlier today:

Don't count them out yet

Feb, 19 2008 - 10:20 PM

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - There is glimmer of hope for sex-trade advocates and their supporters who want to build a legal brothel in Vancouver.

Members of the sex-trade community are putting their hopes on a private members bill. One that would grant amnesty to all prostitution-related offences in the Criminal Code. They're drafting it themselves and hoping a Member of Parliament will present their bill in Ottawa.

Advocate Susan Davis already has someone in mind, Libby Davies has always been a big supporter, she supports de-crim. A lot of our hopes are riding on her."

As for whether Libby Davies will champion their cause, "I would be happy to take it forward. They know I am very supporting, generally, of the issues they've been working on."

Justice Minister Rob Nicholson recently rejected recommendations to de-criminalize the world's oldest profession.

There's the obvious solution: build a brothel under one of the stands and, for the ultimate soccer experience, include a luxury box for those who wish to party while they watch the game. She couldn't object to it then right? [8D]

Wow not surprising that brothels and hookers get priority in the Downtown East side. I wonder if the families that spoke out against having a stadium in their neighborhood at city council meetings are going to handle this ... so lets see perverts or sports fans ?

Okay Kerfoot here's your chance!

Tell Libby "the brainless wonder" that you will fund a major league brothel that will include its own underground parking (for those who like being in cars), rooms with a Roman/Greek/Egyptian/whatever theme, a helicopter pad (for those who want to join the mile high club) and VD clinic (for all of the above) in return for getting your SSS.

quote:Originally posted by Footy

Wow not surprising that brothels and hookers get priority in the Downtown East side. I wonder if the families that spoke out against having a stadium in their neighborhood at city council meetings are going to handle this ... so lets see perverts or sports fans ?

It baffles the mind.

This whole thing is kind of funny because I recall that one of the stadium NIMBYs who appeared before city council actually said she was concerned that sex trade workers would be "overworked" by an influx of soccer fans in the neighbourhood.

[For those who are wondering, I'm NOT kidding. This is the kind of bizarre crap that the downtown eastside residents were actually spewing. Another lady spent 10 minutes at council talking about a murder she witnessed outside her front window... to this day, I'm still trying to figure out what that has to do with a soccer stadium.]

Thats the NDP for you they will never get a vote from me. I think the hookers would suport the stadium if they got their brothel. They would make extra money when traveling fans came in and charge them extra, I can picture the TFC fans putting on whitecaps shirts to negotiate lower rates :D.

I hope people understand that it's likely that Mrs. Libby DOESN'T have a personal agenda against the Whitecaps, the stadium proposal, or sport of soccer in general. I mean, MPs and other politicians are here to represent their constituents (and yes, their party's policy) and if the local community is in opposition with the stadium plan, it's really not fair to simply assume the person representing them has some sort of grudge when they vote or campaign against such proposals.

I mean, that would just be stupid, wouldn't it?

Libby Davies is a puppet of the Downtown Eastside Residents Association. Not only was she part of its executive before running for city council, but DERA members form the vast majority of her foot soldiers when it comes to campaign time. DERA's interests are definitely a higher priority for Libby Davies than what the families living in the rest of East Van want or don't want. As for as Davies is concerned, her real constituency doesn't include anything east of Nanaimo, south of Venables, or west of Cambie.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

VANCOUVER/CKNW(AM980) - There is glimmer of hope for sex-trade advocates and their supporters who want to build a legal brothel in Vancouver...A lot of our hopes are riding on her."

As long as it is only their hopes that are riding on her ...DOH!! Bad tim, bad bad tim! Clear that visual from your mind, wash your mind out with soap bad bad boy.

I just couldn't resist. Sorry. [:I]

Archived