2008 All-star game in Toronto

Elias

"The Earthquakes still need approval from the San Jose City Council for plans to build a privately financed soccer stadium near Mineta San Jose International Airport. The stadium is scheduled to seat as many as 20,000 and open in 2010."

Its only me or does the MLS Commissioner Garber make some questionable decisions? Why give an expansion team to a city that does not have a shovel in the ground on an appropriate facility? From all we have heard recently, the MLS has stated that the Toronto expansion should be a blue print for future entrants. Then what do they do, the go back to a city that has failed which has yet to have an appropriate facility in place. I can see why they may promise teams to cities that have seen their local side move. But they should only do it when a shovel is in the ground. Otherwise, its too risky. They have just given the upperhand to the politicians who can vote down the proposal without fear that they may not have a team (at least not in the short run).

It seems to me that the MLS does way to many things on a wing and a prayer, rather than on sound business fundamentals.

From what I recall. San Jose was one of, if not the, best supported club in the league. They should have never left there in the first place. As I seem to recall, it came down to a game of chicken between MLS and the local politicians over the building of a new facility.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

From what I recall. San Jose was one of, if not the, best supported club in the league. They should have never left there in the first place. As I seem to recall, it came down to a game of chicken between MLS and the local politicians over the building of a new facility.

San Jose was very poorly supported. L.A. fans always made fun of them. But IIRC, a crap stadium had a lot to do with it.

Here are the all-time MLS attendance figures:

http://www.kenn.com/blog/?page_id=20

Archived