It's time to chill the **** out

While I agree that the MNT in every other country is what matters to the National Association. All other things are either to satisfy politics or feeds into development of the MNT. I would put professional club soccer at par with the MNT in most countries. Youth teams are down the list and more of a supplement.

Having said that, the failure of a country like Brazil at the U-20 will likely lead to the firing or resignation of the coach. Ironically, we are set to promote ours.

Otherwise, I agree with the MG. our hosting of this tournament should be considered a huge success in terms of attendance and attention. That should lead to increased corporate sponsorship and longer term media attention.

Still the CSA board should continue to have its collective feet put to the fire. Only with the added pressure for continued success will our future success be realized.

Thank you for a great post MediaGuy.

Let us put this U-20 thing in perspective:

UAE, Qatar, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia and Tunisia have all hosted this tournament. Hardly world soccer powers. Does anybody really remember or care about any of those tourneys? Not very likely, probably just the winners of each tourney. Does anybody remember who Qatar scored a goal against? No. Does anyone think Malaysia is a poor footballing nation for failing to get a point in the group stage? No.

Will any soccer powers remember the Canada 2007 tournament? Just whoever wins it or comes in second. You can bet that fans in England, Italy, France, Germany and the Netherlands couldn't care less. Just look at the BBC Football page and see. There is a very small link for results and nothing else. As some else said, this is not taken seriously in Europe where they focus more on the European U-21s.

The point I'm trying to make with all this is that in the big picture, it is the Men's World Cup that matters. Period. Everything else is bush league in comparison(sadly, WWC as well). When we discuss a nation's soccer pedigree we talk first and foremost about the World Cup and secondly about its participation in the Euro or Copa America(or Gold Cup if we are lucky).

Our men's senior team is doing well for a change, let us focus on that and support them in their quest to qualify for 2010. Meanwhile we can enjoy the rest of this U-20 event and enjoy it in 3 years time when we watch the World Cup we can say, "hey I saw that player at the U-20s at the Olympic stadium against Poland (or whatever)"

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Having said that, the failure of a country like Brazil at the U-20 will likely lead to the firing or resignation of the coach. Ironically, we are set to promote ours.

Yes, but apart from the massive difference in soccer cultures between Canada & Brazil, the Brazilian coach can hardly point to a lack of talent being produced & devleped in Brazil as a reason for the failure the way any coach in Canada would correctly be able to, even if we had performed to the best of our capabilities.

Incidentally, the more of these results we see, the less impressive our positive pre-tourney results seem to be. Scotland goes 3 and out, and Brazil gets 1 win and 3 losses, barely squeaking the one win out against South Korea.

I am not sure that what's important for other soccer cultures is always the same for Canada. European nations may not care about this, or notice, and world soccer at large might not consider it much, but there has been a lot of attention here for this tourney. We shouldn't judge the importance of something because of european concensus. I think a lot of people who are marginally informed about soccer have been so swamped with media about the U 20's they'll remember it. Just like a lot of people I know who only watch soccer once-in-awhile remember the womens U 17 game vs. Brazil really well. They couldn't tell me who won the Champs league. I think those non fans, probablly the majority of folks will remember Canada flamed out, and they'll think that's normal because we're not good at soccer.

I'd also argue that Canada is very similar, as far as global soccer consensus goes, to the Tunisia's and Malaysia's of the world. Tunisia's pretty good, get to the world cup, win the African nations etc...

I agree that MNT is the general standard with which soccer ability is judged, and so it seems most important. I do not feel that the CSA can be so focused when there are a lot of people playing who aren't involved with that.

Should the CSA focus more; certainly. If they've got a windfall from the U20's why not try to buy some show piece friendly's in Canada to kick start WCQ. Maybe England or Brazil in T.O. or Montreal. They could even work with the US/Mexico, make it a tour for the visitors so they can have insentive to travel to NA. Just a thought I had don't know if it's possible

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

c) working with and providing seed money for all the various parties involved to create a national soccer league for U25's (or maybe just U23). basically my vision is to have a single league that is split into up to 4 regional divisions (West, Central, East and Maritime) that play within their region only for the regular season and then have an end of season playoff to name a national champion. All the regions would play by the same rules, with an emphasis on developing young players.

A semi professional league like the CHL is by far the best thing I've heard in this thread. It would be budgeted, cheap and affective. All they need to do is build small parks which hold about 2000-3000 people for each team. Each team would have to develop their players with good technical ability though.

A regional CHL-like league is by far my greatest wish for soccer in this country. However it is my understanding that the CSA doesn't think this is possible. They've done a study with KPMG accounting firm deal bigshot types, which said such a league is not finanically possible. So CSA doctrine is against such a league. Instead they feel MLS teams in the major centres is the best way to increase our MNT chances, build talent after school, and retain locals before they jet to europe, grow interest in the game, provide quality teams at high level etc...

There's probablly lots of posts on the clubs form in the past on this topic that have loads more info, and better analysis then me, so if you want more background that's a good place to start.

I don't see a silver lining in terms of media pressure on the CSA. Sure, the few soccer writers will keep it up, but everyone else will lose interest as soon as the tournament is over, if they haven't already. Besides, the CSA have already promised an "investigation", which pretty much shuts everyone up for now because we have to wait for the results to be revealed, but then who's still going to be paying attention when that happens? I think I should say if that happens.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

I was perusing the CBC online archives last week, and saw a special on the 1986 World Cup team, and how no one cared, and how all the Cafe's were full of people who didn't like Canadian soccer but would do anything to watch their country of origin. That special was from 1986, and nothing has changed.

It was suggested in that special that the growth in soccer registrations was a good sign for the future. I can't believe people are still saying the same thing 20 years later.

quote:Originally posted by mcaout

I am not sure that what's important for other soccer cultures is always the same for Canada. European nations may not care about this, or notice, and world soccer at large might not consider it much, but there has been a lot of attention here for this tourney. We shouldn't judge the importance of something because of european concensus. I think a lot of people who are marginally informed about soccer have been so swamped with media about the U 20's they'll remember it. Just like a lot of people I know who only watch soccer once-in-awhile remember the womens U 17 game vs. Brazil really well. They couldn't tell me who won the Champs league. I think those non fans, probablly the majority of folks will remember Canada flamed out, and they'll think that's normal because we're not good at soccer.

I agree. I'm embarrassed about how we have looked to other countries, but that will pass. However, it is more significant that Canadians with negative preconceptions of Canadian soccer not only got their beliefs confirmed but probably made even worse.

Archived