CSA: Foreign coaches are too mercenary

Paddy

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

The thing that would bring the most change to the CSA and the national team progam is qualifying for the WC again regardless of through luck or professionalism. The higher profile of the MNT gained from this would make the CSA operate under more scrutiny and force them to be more professional and accountable.

Yes...this is a possibility. Does anyone remember if there was a backlash from our failed qualification for 1990? We went 2 games and out.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

If Dale Mitchell guides us to a World Cup berth in 2010, that will indicate that the CSA made the right decision in hiring Mitchell. And by extension, the cycle of ineptitude will have ended.

I hope Mitchell succeeds - not because I have any wish to see the CSA vindicated, but rather because I want to see Canada in the World Cup again.

I hear you G-L, but I'm not getting my hopes up. Good luck to Dale but not much i have seen so far tells me that this is a serious push to get to South Africa. It all seems so last minute and 'band-aid' to get the heat off them. IMO they were surprised by the bad publicity they got.

• 4 weeks later...
quote:As for the TD role, anyone have any ideas? I like the fact the Whitecaps hired Niendorf for their residency program. I think we need someone like this, but higher profile to get the TD position. Any good Dutch or German candidates? I also like the Argentine style (minus the theatrics), their pro clubs (FSWC @3pm on Sunday, don't miss it!) play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Everyone is skilled and strong on the ball, the players are athletic and there's an emphasis on scoring. That doesn't mean that they don't know how to defend either, they're just all around strong technical and tactical players.

To be perfectly honest I don't think of the Argentines being all that theatrical. I actually look at there style as quite similar to the French. Combining Latin flair with European physicality. In fact as far as National teams go I would say there's is a steel-filled and uncompromising style. They play technical without getting pushed around by European teams.

Let me step in this discussion from oversea.

My opinion is, that it´s not really essential having a coach with international experiences. In the last years more and more Canadians came to Europe and do play good rolls in their teams. Some of them play internationl cometetitions, like UEFA Cup. They progress and collect experiences. This is another important factor for the big goal, WC 2010.

I guess that CSA is on a good way, Canada is playing a good tournament. You should continue, give young players a chance.

We in Germany have the first hand experiences of how hard the way can be back to the top. I´m sure that you have the potential for qualifying, as you have a lot of good young players in the back hand, this is the way you should go. With a mix of older players, I will bet we´ll see in South Africa

Do you really think it´s a Canadian problem, that CSA is corrupt? Tell me one country where you have a well done working organisation? I can not imagine that there is one. In most of the national associations are sitting failed existences looking for the best for itselfe instead of fans, players and so on...

Although Canada had his best times with international managers, Steven Hart leads you to the half final of the GC and it´s not over now. US-Team is beatable.

Dale Mitchel is already prejudged bevore starting his job. Give him a chance. Canada inbetween has a wide range of good players with international experieneces. Some young players are on the jump to Europe too. Don´t see it to black, for me Canadian Soccer is on a good way.

I understand that you want your country to qualify for the WC 2010, it´s possible.

quote:Originally posted by frank

Although Canada had his best times with international managers, Steven Hart leads you to the half final of the GC and it´s not over now.

Stephen Hart is a foreign manager.

I don't think having a foreign manager is the be all end all for Canadian soccer, however I do feel that the CSA should not have excluded anyone based on nationality.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

Stephen Hart is a foreign manager.

I don't think having a foreign manager is the be all end all for Canadian soccer, however I do feel that the CSA should not have excluded anyone based on nationality.

Stephen Hart should be really considered a Canadian coach from a soccer perspective whether or not he holds a Canadian passport (I would suspect he does). He has lived in Canada for roughly 20 years (about half of his life) and his whole coaching career has occured in Canada and much of it within the CSA. I certainly wasn't very impressed with Hart at the beginning as we looked totally unorganized under him but he has certainly made a much better impression at the Gold Cup. I still prefer Mitchell as the head coach but Hart will probably be a better assistent than I initially thought and could be a valid candidate for the top job in the future.

Dale Mitchell now has the chance as head coach of the U20 team to show if he has the skills for leading Canada to the WC.

By the way it doesn´t belong to this thread, but Jonathan Bourgault renewed his contract with St. Pauli till 2010

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by frank

Do you really think it´s a Canadian problem, that CSA is corrupt? Tell me one country where you have a well done working organisation? I can not imagine that there is one. In most of the national associations are sitting failed existences looking for the best for itselfe instead of fans, players and so on...

Although Canada had his best times with international managers, Steven Hart leads you to the half final of the GC and it´s not over now. US-Team is beatable.

Dale Mitchel is already prejudged bevore starting his job. Give him a chance. Canada inbetween has a wide range of good players with international experieneces. Some young players are on the jump to Europe too. Don´t see it to black, for me Canadian Soccer is on a good way.

I understand that you want your country to qualify for the WC 2010, it´s possible.

I appreciate this post a lot, because I have to recognize it is generally true: all national soccer associations/federations have some serious problems, there is often corruption and incompetence, and frequent estrangement from the wishes of fans. This is certainly the case in Spain, where the president and other board members are being investigated judicially for misuse of funds. There are other points of corruption that are quite serious, including demoting referees who vote against the current president from 1st to 2nd division, or not promoting refs considered, in a rating system, the best of the new generation, for similar reasons of political alliances.

The question then is if the incompetence of your governing body has an effect on the team's results, if those close to the game complain about it (such as the players), whether there is at least an attempt at accountability (financial). In Canada it would seem our inconsistent results do have something to do with the CSA, players do complain and often, and we have no financial transparency.

Archived