CSA: Foreign coaches are too mercenary

Paddy

Just heard this on CBC - good job Ian Kennet, btw.

Ok...wtf? Is this the spin the csa is going to put on it to cover not taking Rene. Dale Mitchel even came on air spouting the same garbage.

The fix is in.

I would like to hear it again, but I have to say my impression of Dale just went downhill.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forget which Voyageur mentioned it in another thread, but it's as if the CSA is afraid these foreign coaches from Brazil, or Argentina, will come to Canada and steal all our secrets and take them back to their country.

EDIT: I find it ironic that the two most succesful coaches in Canadian Soccer history were "mercinary" foreigners.

quote:Originally posted by RJB

EDIT: I find it ironic that the two most succesful coaches in Canadian Soccer history were "mercinary" foreigners.

Bob Lenarduzzi is canadian. However Tony Waiters comes from England.

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Bob Lenarduzzi is canadian. However Tony Waiters comes from England.

I hope you're kidding... lol I think he meant Osieck and Waiters.

Let's not forget the most successful coach of the women's program. Also a foreigner...

quote:Originally posted by gwallace76

I hope you're kidding... lol I think he meant Osieck and Waiters.

Let's not forget the most successful coach of the women's program. Also a foreigner...

In 2 WCQ campaign Lenarduzzi was far more successfull than Osieck who had us crashing in the first round after having 20 games to prepare us in the year before. In fact, if the WC would've been expanded in 1994 instead of 1998, we would've been in.

In evaluating a manger I'm not really interested in looking at the GC results which have been meaningless if you look back at history. The real test is WCQ. Just look at all the comments in the Mitchell thread "we will evaluate him with his WCQ results@, "if we failed to qualify, he's out". That's how we fans evaluate managers.

BTW, I hated Lenarduzzi as a MNT coach, specially the 1998 WCQ campaign, but I would never say that holger was more successfull than him.

In 2 WCQ campaign Lenarduzzi was far more successfull than Osieck who had us crashing in the first round after having 20 games to prepare us in the year before. In fact, if the WC would've been expanded in 1994 instead of 1998, we would've been in.

In evaluating a manger I'm not really interested in looking at the GC results which have been meaningless if you look back at history. The real test is WCQ.

'94 was a great run but had more to do with the number of quality players coming out of the CSL from 87-92 than Lenarduzzi's skill as a manager. I just loved watching the Lenarduzzi team hoof the ball down field hoping one of the forwards could break free. It was an exciting time for Canadian Soccer. It reminded me of the my days playing mini-soccer as a youth. I hope Dale brings back those tactics. Maybe he can slice up some oranges for half time too. One of my fondest memories was being in the stands, watching Canada lose badly 3-0 to the US in 1997. Was some great times back in '97.

I agree that a good measurement is success at WCQ. That's why Simoes was by far the best choice as manager for the Men's team. That's also why our Norweigan friend is the women's coach. He was hired because he was the best choice. Not because he's Canadian.

Edit: I note your follow up comments on Lenarduzzi as well and agree. He's a great guy, definitely the face and voice of soccer in BC. But he was a bad MNT coach. What scares me is that Dale Mitchell seems less qualified.

In this country, outside of hockey, it seems we are content with mediocre, relatively unproven coaches for virtually all National Teams. The CSA is just following a trend.

The CSA is so full of crap. At least no one on this board is fooled by it. Too bad few in the media have the knowledge or the balls to ask the tough questions and it is too bad that the only person from the CSA that is speaking publicly is Linford. Anything coming from his mouth right now is worthless because we know what he really wanted to do.

Mitchell might have a successful run as MNT manager (i sure hope so) but that doesn't mean he was the right choice at this time.

quote:Originally posted by mrpopulistfutebol

Long live Mercenary coaches. I wish for the days of Holger Osiak again. I am afraid, it is going to be another long drought of 7-8 years again, not going to qualify for the 2010 World Cup. I am already planning for 2014.

I'm tired of the Holger love that many on this forum have. He was just as successful as Yallop in terms of World Cup qualification, in case most people forgot.

quote:Originally posted by VPjr

In this country, outside of hockey, it seems we are content with mediocre, relatively unproven coaches for virtually all National Teams. The CSA is just following a trend.

Mitchell might have a successful run as MNT manager (i sure hope so) but that doesn't mean he was the right choice at this time.

I'm still willing to give Leo Rautins a chance. If he has Nash, Magloire and Dalembert for the OQ and Olympics i think we can medal. And Ernie Whitt did a pretty decent job for our Baseball team...

Originally posted by VPjr

The CSA is so full of crap. At least no one on this board is fooled by it. Too bad few in the media have the knowledge or the balls to ask the tough questions and it is too bad that the only person from the CSA that is speaking publicly is Linford. Anything coming from his mouth right now is worthless because we know what he really wanted to do.

none of those sports can attract as much spectators as Soccer can.

if it was run in a professional manner funding the sport could be self sufficient

the potential is huge

look at Toronto FC

the amount of cash they already tapped in with sponsors, tickets sales etc.

it is the people in place at the national level that dont hve a clue or is content with mediocrity.

I have seen more improvement by TFC in 25 days than the national team in 25 yrs.

quote:Originally posted by sj

none of those sports can attract as much spectators as Soccer can.

if it was run in a professional manner funding the sport could be self sufficient the potential is huge look at Toronto FC the amount of cash they already tapped in with sponsors, tickets sales etc. it is the people in place at the national level that dont hve a clue or is content with mediocrity. I have seen more improvement by TFC in 25 days than the national team in 25 yrs.

No kidding, MLSE makes the CSA look like a Jr. High dance committee.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I'm tired of the Holger love that many on this forum have. He was just as successful as Yallop in terms of World Cup qualification, in case most people forgot.

Ossieck failed at the ultimate task, WCQ. but I think otherwise was our most successful coach since Waiters. Regardless of what one thinks of him as coach, he was not a mercenary at all and was totally committed to qualifying Canada and was very disappointed when he got the boot. Yallop on the other hand proved to be a complete mercenary and showed no loyalty to the team even after he left, not criticizing the CSA until he started getting slagged about abandoning the team. A mercenary is a mercenary and there are as many Canadian mercenaries as foreign ones. This is a totally stupid argument by the CSA, an attempt to justify their unjustifiable behaviour. I see nothing in the career of Simoes (nor Mitchell for that matter) to call either a mercenary so making a decision based on one guy being a mercenary foreigner and the other guy being a good Canadian is totally meritless and pretty close to racist.

Grizzly, I agree with you 100%. When Holger left, he did wear out his stay. I'm just tired of the revisionist history that makes the Holger years sound like the halcyon days of Canadian soccer. The Gold Cup was awesome, still one of my favourite moments as a Canadian soccer fan. But the Holger-as-God is over done.

And I agree, Yallop is an ass for abandoning us.

What's wrong with mercenaries anyway? They get paid to a do a job and at the end of the contract they go away. Big deal. I love my job, but the moment they stop paying, I'll stop showing up.

If the CSA actually gave a rat's a.. about qualifying, we could get a ton of qualified coaches/technical directors to not only run the MNT but also setup a proper foundation for future sucess. Guys like Milutinovic and Hiddink might cost a lot, but will get you results.

quote:Originally posted by River City

What's wrong with mercenaries anyway? They get paid to a do a job and at the end of the contract they go away. Big deal. I love my job, but the moment they stop paying, I'll stop showing up.

If the CSA actually gave a rat's a.. about qualifying, we could get a ton of qualified coaches/technical directors to not only run the MNT but also setup a proper foundation for future sucess. Guys like Milutinovic and Hiddink might cost a lot, but will get you results.

I think you have a problem if you hire your mercenary as a TD. I think a TD needs to be there for a longer period to let their marks on a nation soccer history.

But I agree, if you hire a coach, it doesn't matter if he doesn't stay 8 yrs.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Paddy

Just heard this on CBC - good job Ian Kennet, btw.

Ok...wtf? Is this the spin the csa is going to put on it to cover not taking Rene. Dale Mitchel even came on air spouting the same garbage.

The fix is in.

I would like to hear it again, but I have to say my impression of Dale just went downhill.

Paddy, or anyone, could you summarize what Ian said, how the report went? Have not heard from Ian today so just curious. Also, when did you hear it, was it Teddy Katz on World Report?

I think you have a problem if you hire your mercenary as a TD. I think a TD needs to be there for a longer period to let their marks on a nation soccer history.

But I agree, if you hire a coach, it doesn't matter if he doesn't stay 8 yrs.

I fully agree, and the only valid reason the CSA has/had for not hiring Simoes is their scepticism in him sticking around as TD to fully implement his development strategy. But the cynic in me cries bullsh*t on this argument. They just didn't want to spend the money when there's no guarantee of qualification to the WC.

As for the TD role, anyone have any ideas? I like the fact the Whitecaps hired Niendorf for their residency program. I think we need someone like this, but higher profile to get the TD position. Any good Dutch or German candidates? I also like the Argentine style (minus the theatrics), their pro clubs (FSWC @3pm on Sunday, don't miss it!) play the game the way it's supposed to be played. Everyone is skilled and strong on the ball, the players are athletic and there's an emphasis on scoring. That doesn't mean that they don't know how to defend either, they're just all around strong technical and tactical players.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Paddy, or anyone, could you summarize what Ian said, how the report went? Have not heard from Ian today so just curious. Also, when did you hear it, was it Teddy Katz on World Report?

I don't think I could do a fair job at this point...I was just so shocked by what I was hearing. Hopefully some kind person will post a transcript.

Canada should stop moaning about foreign coach. Simoes had many chances and finally got Jamaica to a World Cup. Great! Then he had Jamaica again and nothing happened, then T&T u17 where he lost every game and scored one goal. Then he had T&T World Cup squad and Honduras nothing happened. Foreign coach don't gurantee success. T&T had about 10 and finally got it right. The last foreign coach Canada had won a Gold Cup (getting in on a coin toss) but then won only two games in the qualification. Which would fans have? GC or qualified WC.

Canada does not care about football. They have no money for the sport. Small Countries like Jamaica, El Salvador, Guatemala , Costa Rica even Bermuda spend more on their World Cup team alone than Canada spends on all its football total.

Mitchell is a good choice at least he will suffer for Canada. He knows as well as any one that Canada has many weaknesses, the main one is a someone to put the ball in the back of the net. Just look at your stats. Trust me Simoes would have written long letters, made excuses and fly once he saw the real situation

I really think in the canadian context that whether or not the coach is a "mercenary" is irrelevent. The coach is just one guy coaching players; he doesn't decide funding of players to get over here from Europe, how many games we play in a year, or the make up of development systems. To me with the Mitchell vs. Simoes debate, the CSA has succeeded (intended or not) in shielding the enduring questions of funding and management. What we end up talking about are "messiah managers" that just don't exist.

Archived