COPA AMERICA VENEZUELA 2007

jagum

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

A Copa America for the Americas would have this problem: why should the weakest teams of Conmebol qualify automatically, as always has been the case (Venezuela historically was the nation), while teams from Concacaf have to qualify? That would still mean it is a Conmebol competition with a northern adornment, which in the end is what it is now anyways. So what is the point?

South American teams would not need to qualify because it would be them doing us a favour to expand the tournament. We can't say, "pretty please let us into your tournament" and then ask that some of their members not be included.

That's a pretty fair trade-off, I'd say. As well, you could have something built into the tournament, which I have been saying the World Cup should have as well, whereby the number of teams included in future editions of the tournament would be linked to performance at the previous Cup. So if the last bottom two teams were South American then CONCACAF would get an extra spot in the next tournament. This is all a bit vague, I know, but you get the basic idea. Maybe CONMEBOL could have their own qualifying tournament too, and pair it down to six, or at least eight.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by nolando

That's a pretty fair trade-off, I'd say. As well, you could have something built into the tournament, which I have been saying the World Cup should have as well, whereby the number of teams included in future editions of the tournament would be linked to performance at the previous Cup. So if the last bottom two teams were South American then CONCACAF would get an extra spot in the next tournament. This is all a bit vague, I know, but you get the basic idea. Maybe CONMEBOL could have their own qualifying tournament too, and pair it down to six, or at least eight.

Don't think Conmebol would ever accept that, they have this absolute parity between teams, they rotate the tournament so every nation gets it (once in 20 years mind you). There is no way the bottom five or maybe six would ever vote for such a move, as most realize that it would open up a chance of them being left out some edition, which has never happened, at least not in modern times.

I think we have to live with them being gracious to the best of Concacaf, and hope one day Canada can make it back there to the oldest nations tournament around to erase the sour memory of the one that got away.

Guest Jeffery S.

Don't think Conmebol would ever accept that, they have this absolute parity between teams, they rotate the tournament so every nation gets it (once in 20 years mind you). There is no way the bottom five or maybe six would ever vote for such a move, as most realize that it would open up a chance of them being left out some edition, which has never happened, at least not in modern times.

I think we have to live with them being gracious to the best of Concacaf, and hope one day Canada can make it back there to the oldest nations tournament around to erase the sour memory of the one that got away.

• 2 weeks later...

Conmebol will not likely further water down its tournament with more concacaf teams. also, it would cheapen the gold cup.

and its no big loss that Canada didnt go to the 2001 Copa. That was such a joke tournament, nobody sent their real teams, not even close. it was basically a farce, and no big surprise that the host colombia, who sucked badly at the time, came away the winners. pathetic.

the 2005 Copa had teams with closer to their real rosters, not the huge stars. hopefully that will continue in ven.

If countries bringing their best rosters to the tournament is a strong factor in determinating whether or not a tournament is a joke or not, I suggest you look again at the Gold Cup (and the previous Cups, including the one that Canada won) through the same critical lenses.

Guest Jeffery S.

If countries bringing their best rosters to the tournament is a strong factor in determinating whether or not a tournament is a joke or not, I suggest you look again at the Gold Cup (and the previous Cups, including the one that Canada won) through the same critical lenses.

Considering the Copa America is every two years, there are stronger and weaker ones always. Also depends what other things are happening, in the middle of WC qualifying it is often weaker for example. As Argentina did not go either that is what really took down the level, not some general idea about it not being a serious tournament.

As you say, Gold Cup is even less consistent with even weaker quality, and in fact, when we had invited countries, folks seemed to want to have them weaker, did not want a full Brazil side in GC for example. How is that for pride and ambition in your regional championship?

Archived