Any talk of involvement with Open Cup?

Scott

I know its been brought up before, but has TFC been in any talks with regards to involvement in the Canada Open Cup? For that matter is the Open Cup happening anymore? With a 30-game MLS season plus playoffs, there's room for a couple of games, especially if TFC were given a bye into the quarter- or semi-finals of a knock-out tournament with one-off games. Granted I don't know a lot about the structure of regional championships -- I remember on the old boards there was occasionally talk about uniting the winners of semipro championships with the A-League teams into a sort of Open Cup. Is this idea dead?

• 3 weeks later...

OK, how bout this: Montreal is scheduled to play Toronto sometime before next year (pre-season 2008?) as part of the Sutton deal. Why not schedule a friendly between Vancouver and the national champions (Ottawa St. Anthony's Italia right now I think?) at the same time, with the two winners playing off for the Voyageurs Cup/"Canada FA Cup". Only 2 games (on top of the already-scheduled friendly and the national championships) need to be added to the existing schedule, and we could lobby to get the winner an entry into a playoff for the CONCACAF Champions Cup, maybe with the 3rd-ranked Central American qualifier. It can work people, the CSA should contact CONCACAF about a spot in the Champions League!!

Yeah that gate revenue generating friendly between Montreal and Toronto (for Sutton) adds a dimension to the scheme. It has to happen so why not milk it all for it's worth?

MLS and TFC might buy into a little mini-tourny for domestic bragging rights too. You know MLS has to be absolutely stunned by the success TFC has so far enjoyed without even kicking a ball so they might be packing a hard on for Canada's other two, and previously more successful football markets. Getting their billionare owners keen, or more likely keener, on MLS is certainly becomeing a priority at corporate head office.

Little mini-tourny would be good exposure towards grooming those markets.

Because of the US open cup that US based MLS teams are involved in and TFC is not, there are a number of open dates that TFC has to fill. In fact it has been unofficailly promised though not written anywhere. This is where the potential of matches versus Montreal and Vancouver exits.

Granted those matches may turn out to be friendlies versus Euro clubs. But still, there are quite few of these open dates.

Guest Jeffery S.

What I am thinking is that since MLS standings determine what US teams get into the Concacaf club cup, would that mean that TFC, however they rank in MLS, would become Canada's automatic representative?

I have always felt it was a bit sad we have never even tried to get a team in the competition, since we have every right to be there.

Even though the game are played in the MLS pre-season, they can always be fit into a decent pre-season schedule, so they could be useful that way as well.

Should say thought that my preference would be to have a Canada Cup whose winner would be our rep in this competition. My way of doing it would be regional knock-out rounds and a final four in some host city over a three day period, semis and a final.

Over the next year or two, I fully expect that TFC, Whitecaps, Impact, and the others who might be inclined to participate in an Open Cup will have discussions with the CSA (or amongst themselves if the CSA is not inclined to participate in such meetings) to field such a tourney...it only makes sense. If Whitecaps and Impact are serious about joining MLS in the future, it makes sense to play against the other Canadian team in the league to gauge how their talent matches up.

I think TFC has more pressing concerns right now (they don't even have an 18 man roster as of yet) but I am sure that they will have a desire to play in a tournament like the Concacaf club cup in future years (my guess is by 2009 pre-season).

To not capitalize on interest throughout the nation would be wrong. For TFC, the benefits would purely be financial, since they would have everything to lose from any type of Open Cup(everyone will gear up to play them, and they 'should' win every game).

This could help fuel rivalries and help to take the game to another level.

Attendance at the Montreal vs Toronto game will be a crucial factor. If that game is as big a draw as TFC's MLS games, then the chances of TFC participating in an Open Cup or Voyageur's Cup will be that much better. It's up to you guys to buy tickets.

The Puerto Rican USL (formerly A-League team) has to qualify for the CONCACAF Champions Cup qualifiers through games with local sides. The same logic could apply for Toronto, as the USSSF has no obligation to award us one their federation's Champions Cup spots even if we win the MLS Cup.

Archived