Toronto FC should look south.

SoccMan

It looks like Mo is still looking for another player or two, and specificaly for a striker. We seem to think that Europe is the only option to look to for players, however, why not look south to Argentina where a player that I think would fit quite nicely on TFC and in MLS Martin Palermo of Boca Juniors.

I think that looking to Europe is just one of the things that Coach Mo is doing. I think that they are looking for cheaper talent wherever they can find it, and if that is South America, then so be it.

Historically, there haven't been many players from South America in MLS. Valdaramma comes to mind, and I think Eduardo Hurtado, but after that, most imports have come from Central America, and only recently Europe.

quote:Originally posted by SoccMan

It looks like Mo is still looking for another player or two, and specificaly for a striker. We seem to think that Europe is the only option to look to for players, however, why not look south to Argentina where a player that I think would fit quite nicely on TFC and in MLS Martin Palermo of Boca Juniors.

Not a bad idea. Though Palermo is of a rather higher profile, there would appear to be alot of untapped lesser known talent down there. Who ever heard of Leonardo DiLorenzo for example? I was able to catch a few Impact games live last year and, to me, the Argentinian stood out as one of the best players on the pitch each time. Scored the winner in one game that I caught. I am sure that there are more South American players of his ilk or better that could be had. According to his profile on the Impact site, this is a player that was capped for Argentina at the U20 level. Thats quite an achievement given the depth of talent in that country.

On the other hand, from a Lynx perspective, most of their South American signings have been rather dissapponting.

TFC already have two in Jose Cancela (Uruguay) and Paulo Nagamura (Brazil). These kinds of players are a dime a dozen in SA. If building the best quality team on a budget is the goal, I think far better players are available for a much lower price than in Europe.

But someone has to go and see (not tape) the talent in action because it can be hit and miss.

There is no doubt that the best bang for the buck is to be found S.A., not Europe.

I wonder when MLS is going to pool enough funds to establish a Central Scouting Agency that will provide a deep pool of scouting info for all teams to benefit from. It will only boost the level of play in the league long term. the NHL's central scouting agency is the best thing that league does in my opinion.

Archived