Help Wanted: CEO

masster

So I pick up Monday's Globe and Mail (for me its usually just a quick scan through the national news and then the sports section) and for some reason start browsing the Report on Business. On page B11, the Globe Careers page, I find an ad placed by 'Ray & Berndtson: Global Leaders to Executive Search' on behalf of the CSA looking for WORLD CUP-CLASS LEADERSHIP.

Am I the only one that is surprised that they are still asking for resumes? I thought by now they would have at least had a shortlist of candidates. We are 6 months away from the largest soccer event ever to be held in Canada. Shouldn't the board have had at least an idea, a backup plan, a timeline before letting Pipe go?

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but I'm getting frustrated with the lack of any public developments.

Here is a link to the ad that was in the paper in case anybody is interested:

http://www.rayberndtson.ca/execopp/on/onj235.html

There is a chance that they have not been overwhelmed with qualified applicants. I know I would think twice about applying.

Otherwise, I would suggest they take their time and get it right. Moving quickly can be great if things fall into place, but this is too important to rush.

Posting an ad like this is but one of many steps a firm like Ray & Berndtson goes through to compile a list of candidates for the such a high profile position. I prefer the CSA board take its time to find a good candidate than rush to fill the post just to satisfy an impatient public. Most of the groundwork to stage the U-20 WC events is being done by the local organising committees, many of which include people eminently qualified for the job.

If that is the preference (marketer), I think they would be making a mistake. What is needed is a "builder".

The only way Canada will create any sustained success is to mobilze and develop its grassroots soccer potential. This work needs to be done from the bottom up. Top down (ie focussing on marketing) would simply be making the same mistakes we have made since I was born.

The CSA may be successful in finding a good "sales" type leader and she/he would likely achieve more than Pipe. But, that simply will not create sustainable success.

That is the lesson of history and, frankly, the lesson of success in other countries with similar challenges. I hope the CSA search committee recognizes this. I very strongly believe that this hire is significantly more important that the search for a new mens coach.

Archived