Makes me sick

ANC2

Two days ago I was speaking with a good friend who have boys on the Canadian youth teams. He told me that he knows of coaches in certain provinces not allowing players from their club to go to the National Youth Team. His belief is, if the players attend the National Centre (which is free) then the club does not get their money. He also made reference to the fact that having been invited repeatedly, Hoilett has turned down the youth team since 2005.

CSA should ban those clubs, players & coaches in my opinion

Makes me sick

quote:Originally posted by ANC2

Two days ago I was speaking with a good friend who have boys on the Canadian youth teams. He told me that he knows of coaches in certain provinces not allowing players from their club to go to the National Youth Team. His belief is, if the players attend the National Centre (which is free) then the club does not get their money. He also made reference to the fact that having been invited repeatedly, Hoilett has turned down the youth team since 2005.

CSA should ban those clubs, players & coaches in my opinion

Makes me sick

Regrettably this is not uncommon behaviour amongst coaches, has been happening for years if not decades, right across the board.

wait. coaches tell a player not to go to a provincial team or national team because the coach may lose this player later? ya that makes sense. because it's about this volunteer coaches youth coaching record and not at all about the individual players' development. (yes i was being sarcastic - and yes, i have no doubt this happens. it is sad)

i can see coaches suggesting players not go out for provincial programs due to cost, travel, time.

This is an all too common occurance. When I was playing in youth, I had some teammates who were being invited to tryout for provincial/national teams but tehy were always discouraged to attend. Coaches would play on the individuals loyalty and friendship to his teammates, while also stating high costs if upon joining the provincial/national teams. The fact that the player would not be allowed to continue any club commitments at all would also hold a lot of players back from moving onto provincial/national teams.

My biggest concern was the actual number of players who having decided to join the provincial/national teams actually ended up returning back to their club sides (as their own decision and not having been cut).

Obviously there was a problem and it wasnt simply the club coaches.

By club sides we're talking about amateur clubs right? Why are coaches of amateur clubs so serious about keeping players, are they playing for prize money or is this just a pride and tradition thing? Can players playing for local amateur clubs ever turn professional? I don't understand this mentality at all. As an amateur coach I would be thrilled if any of my players were offered shots at provincial or national teams. Can anyone elaborate further on this?

I too Soju, as an amateur coach would be thrilled for my boys to make provincial or national set-ups.

Why in some parts of the country does being on a provincial team mean you can not play for a club team?

In BC, most BC and NTC players play of course for those set-ups, but also Club, IPL/Y-League - and some probably play senior men's as well. Honestly, the only detractors I can think of here is the time, cost, and travel involved. However, NTC is BC is free...so I guess with those concerns I am referring only to the provincial set-up.

What might sort this out is a good old fashioned witch hunt. Compile a list of clubs and coaches who are known to hinder the provincial/national team recruiting process and put said list on a website. Alternatively hold a list of clubs who allow their players to succeed beyond them. Just a thought.

Good point. The issues raised in this thread frustruate me as I'm sure they do a lot of us. Canada is a diverse multiethnic country with a lot of recent immigrants and sons of recent immigrants (I think that would be almost all of us) involved in our soccer programs. I think that's great as it brings all kinds of passion and heritage to the pitch..but do enough people at the grassroots level care about the status of Canadian Soccer, or do they ignore it and cheer for their mother countries? I've first hand seen a lot of the latter and am wondering if that lack of identity with Canada/CSA product is what's responsible, or if there's more to this than I can grasp.

"but do enough people at the grassroots level care about the status of Canadian Soccer, or do they ignore it and cheer for their mother countries? I've first hand seen a lot of the latter and am wondering if that lack of identity with Canada/CSA product is what's responsible, or if there's more to this than I can grasp"

There is no way you're going to get all kids who are sons/daughters

of imigrants supporting Canada right off the bat. It takes time for families to get rooted in Canada and it's unrealistic to think the CSA can control this. As Canadian soccer continues to grow and have more success, we'll have more kids wanting to identify with the CDN product. That's my read...

In my almost 30 years of involvement with soccer in this country at all levels I suggest that the vast majority of young players and their parents are really only interested in the fortunes of their own team and maybe the club they belong to. Very few have much enduring interest in the game beyond that. The situation is improving as evidenced at least in one case by the hordes of young kids that can be seen at Whitecaps games - more so the women's team - but there is a long way to go still. The expansion of the top flight MLS into Canada and the attention being paid by the media can only help too, especially if relatively high profile Canadian players are seen playing regularly in Toronto in a really nice SSS and doing OK in the league.

I also think we must be careful not to exaggerate the prevalence of coaches holding back players for personal selfish reasons. Yes it does happen and it is certainly disturbing, but by far the majority of coaches are delighted when one of their proteges has an opportunity to move up the pyramid of play and look to do all within their power to facilitate it.

Archived