Pipe firing on Soccercentral

Daniel

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Missed it, anyone have details?

All I saw was Dero saying we need someone from Europe with demands, because someone from Canada won't get taken seriously.

CSA president Colin Linford was interviewed by both Gerry and Craig and basically said it was time to move into a new direction and needing someone who can work with all levels of governement and the provinces(he mentioned this twice) and corporate Canada(this he emphasized) and that the main focus of the CSA would be the men's senior team. Qualifying for WC 2010 would bring revenues that would allow the CSA to develop the youth teams. He also did not mention a timeline for replacing him but that the new national team head coach would be hired within two months.

I was actually quite impressed with Linford and what he said. He addressed the three core criticisms we've raised over and again, and said these were priorities. Obviously, putting a stronger emphasis on the men's national team and qualifying for the World Cup is one of these, but the ongoing CSA / Provincial associations relationship and the Corporate funding issues were also emphasized, as Alberto pointed out. Key here was his admission that Pipe focussed too much on spending monies equally on all programs when it would be more beneficial to all programs if more money and time was invested in the men's side and getting to the World Cup. Anyhow, I have considerable new hope after hearing all this. Linford's got the nuts and he and the executive committee seem very clear sighted on this one.

And DD (along the lines of Devos) stated that all the players wanted changes at the top, ie Pipe.

He also stated that he felt Hart would not have enough pull, to get what was required from the CSA, and felt we needed a top coach from Europe (it had nothing to do with Hart not being a capable coach).

Explain this one. When Paul Peschisolido pulled that stunt and was ejected and benched and following this suspension,Paul was in town some time later. I happened to bump into Kevan and when i told him that Paul was in town he immediately pulled out some tickets to a MNT game and said give these to Paul.I picked up Paul and we went to the game. i just don't remember which one it was.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Explain this one. When Paul Peschisolido pulled that stunt and was ejected and benched and following this suspension,Paul was in town some time later. I happened to bump into Kevan and when i told him that Paul was in town he immediately pulled out some tickets to a MNT game and said give these to Paul.I picked up Paul and we went to the game. i just don't remember which one it was.

I believe John is referring to Pesch's red card during World Cup Qualifying.

John, I don't think anyone is saying KP is a bad guy, but after years of Canada not qualifying, the players, like the Voyageurs, want someone held accountable. For the last 20 years, Canada has lost considerable ground in CONCACAF. Hopefully the CSA makes the most of this opportunity. Time will tell.

This was an organizational decision that was made to move the csa in a different direction. Everyone should tip there hat to Pipe, he has been working for Canadian soccer for a quarter century and I'm sure has done what he thought was best for the overall program. Now if that was the case is debatable, but he should been shown thanks and respect. If people disagreed with his decisions thats fine, but its not personal, and no ill will against him.

Archived