Nationals ? for Regs

Bates

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be a shame if any of those teams come second and don't go through as the best 2nd place team. Either way that is a dandy of a group. Plus who says Lucania will come second any how? Seems to me they all start with 0 pts and play 3 games for a reason.

I've watched all the Nationals for about the last 6-7 years and I would say that the calibre of play is very high. It is a good mix of young players combined with seasoned vets who maybe did not want to take soccer to the next level.

Last years champs had Lydon Hooper and the Kousmanis brothers. Also the Alberta champs have several players from the old PDL and A-League teams of a few years ago.

Thanks for the response Bates. I'm not asking if I will enjoy the match or not. I just want to know if any of the players (men or women)could play at a higher level. I would guess that at least some of the players are playing at Canadian Universities. Could any of these players get offers from US Colleges or a look by the Canadian National teams or are they even scouted? Are any players descovered after age 18 or do they only work with players identified earlier? Is it the same for men and women? I realize men have more opportunity to play?

Some of these players would be of the quality of players that have gone to US college and those who have tried in Europe but have not continued with soccer as a career for various reasons.

Traditionally you do not see many quality "young" players in this tourney as they are maybe still trying to make it. The top players at the Challenge Cup in my opinion are usually the senior members of their respective teams.

As an example the Calgary Callies have several players that played PDL and A-League who for various reasons have moved on with life and careers. Some of these could probable have made it professionally but did not pursue this path. Liam DeSilva for example played with Vancouver last couple of seasons. Stefan Holdt could probable have made it in Europe but has a great career here at home. Jamie AUvigne and Mark Slade both played with the Storm.

Here in Halifax, its quite competitive. Its players who have played university along with some kids still in school. The age ranges from 17 year olds to guys in their mid 30's, with the average being early to mid 20's. The top teams in the NSSL are better than any university team. You also get the odd guy who went to school in the states and has returned. The top teams are probably at a PDL level.

Here in Halifax, its quite competitive. Its players who have played university along with some kids still in school. The age ranges from 17 year olds to guys in their mid 30's, with the average being early to mid 20's. The top teams in the NSSL are better than any university team. You also get the odd guy who went to school in the states and has returned. The top teams are probably at a PDL level.

Some of the players are actually on University teams right now and once in a while a University team actually makes it to the Tourney but I would agree with soccerpro that the calibre is higher than that of any University league in Canada.

I was reading posts on Take The Piss - lots of people complaining about the lack of media coverage, and poor promotion by the BCSA and the CSA.

There are going to be some great games like Wednesday at 10am when Ottawa St Anthony's meets the Vancouver Firefighters team. St Anthony's defeated the Toronto Lynx 2-0. The Firemen have 4 ex Whitecaps- Mike and Chrs Franks, Jeff Skinner and Steve McAauley.

It would be nice if Sportsnet and TSN would report the scores and show highlights of goals. How do we get them to cover the championship?

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I was reading posts on Take The Piss - lots of people complaining about the lack of media coverage, and poor promotion by the BCSA and the CSA.

There are going to be some great games like Wednesday at 10am when Ottawa St Anthony's meets the Vancouver Firefighters team. St Anthony's defeated the Toronto Lynx 2-0. The Firemen have 4 ex Whitecaps- Mike and Chrs Franks, Jeff Skinner and Steve McAauley.

It would be nice if Sportsnet and TSN would report the scores and show highlights of goals. How do we get them to cover the championship?

The BC Soccer Web would be more than willing to publish submitted match reports and other relevant contributions. Polished prose is not an essential requirement. Full author credit will be given. It's about the only media outlet that shows any interest in the amateur game. Go for it guys.

Richard and Regs - its great that both of your websites cover soccer so well. How many hits do you recive on an average day?

How can we utilize teh natioanls to generate more interest for Take the Piss and BCsoccerweb, as well as for this site? If the mainstream media aren't going to do a better job, then maybe soccer people will boycott them and rely solely on soccer websites.

Well, you can't really put the blame on the mainstream media in this case when the bloody host club hasn't done a single fricken thing it seems in promoting the event themselves - the tourney starts tomorrow and they have NOTHING on their website and nothing even in the local community papers (at least that is what I'm told).

Well I scan the local media websites every day and the only coverage I have seen of the senior nationals in Surrey, apart from on the CSA website, has been what I have put on The BC Soccer Web. My invitation stands... anybody willing to pen a few words on the tournament or individual games is welcome to submit them for publication on The BC Soccer Web.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Richard and Regs - its great that both of your websites cover soccer so well. How many hits do you recive on an average day?

How can we utilize teh natioanls to generate more interest for Take the Piss and BCsoccerweb, as well as for this site? If the mainstream media aren't going to do a better job, then maybe soccer people will boycott them and rely solely on soccer websites.

Regs' and my websites are part of a Soccer Webmasters Alliance (SWA) for advertising purposes, we all deliver the same centrally served advertising. The SWA sites together enjoy over 100,000 visitors and serve over 1,500,000 impressions every month and growing, a golden opportunity for soccer advertisers.

Sorry if this breaches forum rules because it promotes other websites but the question was asked. See my post above about spreading the word. Don't expect much from the local papers.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Well, you can't really put the blame on the mainstream media in this case when the bloody host club hasn't done a single fricken thing it seems in promoting the event themselves - the tourney starts tomorrow and they have NOTHING on their website and nothing even in the local community papers (at least that is what I'm told).

Without inside information its hard to know exactly who to blame. Perhaps the BCSA and the CSA have been informing the mainstream media and the mainstream media have been silent. Or maybe no-one is telling the mainstream media.

I occasionally see articles about university soccer in the Vancouver Sun and Province, but nothing about adult amateur soccer. The Victoria TV stations occasionally show highlights of Victoria games university and adult soccergames,(that may indicate Victoria is a boring City).

These days the main Vancouver newspapers and TV stations are devoting endless hours to pre-season hockey and the CFL.

TTP has been talking about the Nations on the front page since last week... there is a chance that I will put together some audio webcasting of the 2 finals, though it will be VERY basic, ie, one guy doing some play-by-play into his cell phone. I wouldn't expect the world but it isn't difficult to do technically.

Cheers,

~Regs.

quote:Without inside information its hard to know exactly who to blame. Perhaps the BCSA and the CSA have been informing the mainstream media and the mainstream media have been silent. Or maybe no-one is telling the mainstream media.
If the host club can't be bothered to post info for the TARGET AUDIENCE, there is no hope. CSA will not promote this tourney as it is not high profile enough even for them, never has been - see their website. BCSA really isn't at fault here as far as I can see, except that in hindsight, they should have never awarded it to the host club on the basis that they did.

Archived