Nationals ? for Regs

Bates

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You would think the Surrey club hosting would pull a finger out and publicize the event on their website but...

The CSA has everything up now including schedules:

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/natchamps/club/challenge.asp?sub2=2

If you want to read up on the BC reps and how provincials went in BC, read the relevant threads in this forum on TTP:

http://www.takethepiss.com/forums/bc-senior-provincial-cups/

Cheers,

~Regs.

I am wondering about game times as they are not listed on the schedule. Last year the wonderful organizing committee in Calgary were nice enough to play all games at the same time which meant that as a fan you could only watch 1 game a day. I sure hope Surrey is a little smarter than that!!!

Bates,

PM me here and I'll sort you out for TTP if still interested... just let me know what the error was that you were getting in the PM.

Cheers,

~Regs.

PS. No idea on game times... the facility has 8 fields I think and no doubt they will play the final(s) on the bloody turf :rolleyes:

In the Lower Mainland municipalities are under increasing pressure to provide ever more field time. With all the rain we get during the winter playing season field usage has to be severely rationed or the fields are a mess and barely usable in short order. The only way for the cities to go is to increase the number of FieldTurf pitches.

There is not 1 single argument that can hold any weight for having championships on a turf field in the lower mainland of BC. Not 1.

I'm a purist when it comes to this stuff and if you say "well FIFA approved it so it must be good", you're a puppet, muppet, and a dick.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

When you have 7 beautiful grass pitches

newton has 7 beautiful grass pitches? ... hahaha. sorry relatively speaking they are quite nice. i guess i am spoiled in chilliwack as the pitches here at our main facilities would make most professional sides jealous. now, as for the rest of the town.......ya we are lacking! ;)

surrey has no reason to play the matches on turf.

Am not suggesting that the senior games must be played on FieldTurf. If good grass is available with appropriate bleachers for the crowd, especially for the finals, then that would be the obvious choice. But FieldTurf pitches definitely do have their advantages and only the purists would object at the amateur level and they would be hard pressed to give objective, scientific reasons for not using it.

Are you calling me an amateur? :)

How can I be objective when I have experience using both? All the advantages come down to money issues. Disadvantages include little to no give in the surface, excess force in player's joints (last time I checked, "amateur" and professionals have the same body parts that function in the same manner), much "quicker" service, and 30-60 minutes wasted after each game pulling out all the bloody rubber pellets in boots and socks.

:)

What's best for a player in a game? Turf or grass? I ask this of those that have played on both competitively.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Guest Soccrman
quote:

What's best for a player in a game? Turf or grass? I ask this of those that have played on both competitively.

We would all love to play on grass - its far superior for the better teams - Chilliwack does indeed have great pitches - we remember it well as we won there in 99!!

However men play at NAP on 1,5 and 7, women play on 2,4,6,8 - how come they don't have the priveledge of playing on turf?? Discrimination I say!!

Games are at 10/12/2 for both M+W, so 4 games going on at a time.

Should be fun!!

Having played in goal a lot on both fieldturf and grass it seems to me there can be advantages to the former that come down to more than money. Good to have that reliable even bounce. :) The goalmouths of grass fields have a tendency to turn into gravel pits or quagmires when used regularly every night of the week and very few clubs in this country can dedicate a field for use by only one team. Beyond that in Ontario which is the better surface depends entirely on what part of the year we are talking about. Difficult to play outdoors regularly on grass in March or November. Much more doable on fieldturf. As for the pellets, cleaning your boots after playing a game on a wet grass field can take a bit of time as well.

quote:Originally posted by Regs

Goalies never got a vote before, why start now? :)

It's a team game until the goalkeeper makes a mistake as the saying goes. :) Have to disagree with you on the tough on the joints stuff though. Diving full extension on fieldturf is no big deal in my experience. Plenty of times I've felt like I just went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson after doing it for 90 minutes on grass midsummer here in Ontario. The biggest issue with artificial fields is the risk of rug burn from slide tackles obviously. The latest versions are much better than the old astroturf but still not perfect from that standpoint.

From the CSA website:

Game time is local venue time

No game Date Hour Receiver Results Visitor Fields

M01 2006-10-04 10:00 ON-Ontario vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M02 2006-10-04 11:00 BC-Sapperton Rovers vs MB-Lucania Newton Athletic Park #7

M03 2006-10-04 12:00 AB-Calgary Callies vs PE-Prince Edward Island Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M04 2006-10-04 13:00 NS-Scotia M-I Men vs YU-Yukon Newton Athletic Park #7

M05 2006-10-04 14:00 QC-Quebec-Sélect Trois-Rivières vs NL-St. Lawrence Laurentians Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M06 2006-10-04 15:00 SK-Regina AC Pumas vs NB-New Brunswick Newton Athletic Park #7

M07 2006-10-05 10:00 ON-Ontario vs MB-Lucania Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M08 2006-10-05 11:00 BC-Sapperton Rovers vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #7

M09 2006-10-05 12:00 AB-Calgary Callies vs YU-Yukon Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M10 2006-10-05 13:00 NS-Scotia M-I Men vs PE-Prince Edward Island Newton Athletic Park #7

M11 2006-10-05 14:00 QC-Quebec-Sélect Trois-Rivières vs NB-New Brunswick Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M12 2006-10-05 15:00 SK-Regina AC Pumas vs NL-St. Lawrence Laurentians Newton Athletic Park #7

M13 2006-10-06 10:00 ON-Ontario vs BC-Sapperton Rovers Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M14 2006-10-06 11:00 MB-Lucania vs BC-Vancouver Firefighters (2) Newton Athletic Park #7

M15 2006-10-06 12:00 AB-Calgary Callies vs NS-Scotia M-I Men Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M16 2006-10-06 13:00 YU-Yukon vs PE-Prince Edward Island Newton Athletic Park #7

M17 2006-10-06 14:00 QC-Quebec-Sélect Trois-Rivières vs SK-Regina AC Pumas Newton Athletic Park #1 (turf)

M18 2006-10-06 15:00 NB-New Brunswick vs NL-St. Lawrence Laurentians Newton Athletic Park #7

Archived