Nationals ? for Regs

Bates

Events like these are often lost in large cities like Vancouver. I believe they are beter served in mid level cities like a St John's, Victoria, Halifax, Regina, etc where they'll drum up lots of attention in the newspapers and local TV stations and everyone in the local soccer community knows about them and theres a large turn out. Media in large cities admitattantly have bigger fish to fry than amatuer soccer...

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those would be my sentiments exactly. I remember staying at the host hotel in Toronto a few years ago and not even the hotel knew why we were all there. There were never any notices of changes to time or venue to be found. It was a guessing game everyday.

The Nationals that were in St. John's a few years ago were the way it should be with major attendance and the whole city into the spirit of the competition.

Ottawa 5-3 BC Firemen

1-0 at the half for Ottawa apparently and then the floodgates opened. A couple of disallowed goals for Firemen... someone will probably update that on TTP later.

At the half Sapperton 1-0 Manitoba.

I probably won't keep posting stuff here but if someone else wants to check up on TTP < http://www.takethepiss.com > and report what is said there, go for it.

Cheers,

~Regs.

Looks like a pretty good team from Group A will not be playing for a medal position in the Senior Women's National Championships now taking place in Surrey. Alberta and Ontario can't win a playoff spot and BC(2) and Manitoba will either have to win, or if they tie it will be deceided by goals scored with the runner up not making it in since the best second place team will come from Group B or Group C. Tough luck.

Well I guess the organizational committee got what they wanted--an all BC Women's final. They seeded the second place BC team Coquitlam City FC 12th (who really believes that)and they won their group. I don't know how anyone who would think that the second best team in BC would be worse that the new team from Yukon. That seeding was unfair to teams which had "earned" the higher seeding from their provinces proformance in the last National Championship. Perhaps a straight draw would be a fairer approach.

From what I hear this tournament has been a pretty typical big city, no press, no fans or no support challange cup. You can attribute it in part to the 0 promotion that the Surrey club did, but again put this in a mid to smaller sized city and it would dominate the newspaper sports sections, be on local tv, and have huge attendances, everyone in the city and region would know about it whether they liked soccer or not. I realize these tournaments have to be rotated for fairness but I dont understand having them in huge cities. Watch for the Challange Cup next year in Halifax to be a success. There is already an organzing committe underway, and youll see all games on fieldturf not foot long grass fields. They'll be big crowds and if local teams do ok, ie both nova scotia teams in the semi final like this year, youll see thousands of people, like st john's had over 10,000 a few years back.

The purpose of seeding is to prevent the best two teams from meeting before the final and it did work out that way this year so perhaps all's well that ends well. Everyone would agree that the best two teams reached the final. My complaint is that the team who had the top seed in the women's group (Alberta) deserved a better fate than to face a slightly weaker (than Surrey) team in their group. It would have been "fairer" to place Yukon (who did not participate in th 2005 championship) in group A as the 12th seed. Does the second place result for the "extra" BC team mean that the "extra" Nova Scotia team at next year's Nationals will get a second seed, or will everyone from 3 to 12 move up a position and the runner up NS team get the 12 seed? I think that the "fair" response by the organizers since teams "earn" their seeds would be that any additional teams added should receive a seeding of one place lower than their provincial representative. This would place them in a different bracket without penalizing a team whose province won the top (or higher) seeds in the previous year. So next year since NS finished 3rd their two teams (if needed) would receive the 3rd and 4th seeds. Perhaps they won't need to add a team if Yukon feels that the cost to travel to Halifax is higher than the cost to Surrey.

I would be interested in knowing what happened in the second half of the women's game between New Brunswick and Ontario. The score at half was 0 - 0, but the posted final score was 7 - 0 for NB. This put Ontario in 10 place!!!. Can anyone remember an Ontario team doing so poorly at the Nationals -- especially the Women. What happened? Did they have to go home early or something. This Ottawa team lost to Manitoba and Alberta, but tied BC (2) then beat Newfoundland only to get blown out by NB. Did they not want the higher seed for next year? What gives?

quote:Originally posted by Soccerpro

but again put this in a mid to smaller sized city and it would dominate the newspaper sports sections, be on local tv, and have huge attendances, everyone in the city and region would know about it whether they liked soccer or not.

erm. i went and watched matches when they were in chilliwack, bc a few years ago. at the time a town of all of 50,000 in the nether-regions of the fraser valley/lower mainland. if there was ever more than 50 people at a match i'd be absolutely stunned. 20 would be a fair estimate - but how many of those were directly involved in the tournament? 75% of the people i spoke with at the games, that's how many.

did everyone around town know about it? if they read the sports section of the two local rags they did. did they care? nope.

Well, Winnipeg is not Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal or even Edmonton, but the Nationals played here have received good coverage in the local press including front page photos on Saturday's edition and film crews covering local teams. Even with all of the Nationals out of town this year there was a feature article in the Free Press about the under 16 women's (girls?) team coming in second. Plus daily scores from all venues. We still don't have near the coverage even big cities in the US devote to high school and other community sports teams, but then everyone knows that they just live for sports down there.

When I attended the Senior Nationals last year in Calgary, Newfoundland's matches were on the radio. They had a play-by-play announcer in the stands describing the action for the folks back home.

Let's face it. Soccer may be the # one sport in terms of participation in Canada, but most people (including sports fans) would not walk across the street to see a match. This might change in 10 years or so, but the press just reflects society as a whole.

Ontario womens team were unlucky to be in the toughest womens group by far. They tied the BC team that made the final and lost 1-0 and 2-0.

The NB score was wrong on the CSA website and I think its fixed now. The final scores were 5-0 against NFLD and 7-0 against NB.

A 9th place finish is the product of group placement. Playing in any other group and a 5-7th place would be the outcome.

Worst national tournament I've seen by a long shot. No media coverage, a few transportation problems, no information centre at the hotel or airport, having the dinner and dance on sat when teams had to play at 8:30 am the next morning rather than friday night where no teams played on sat,... etc.

Manitoba mens team were the biggest idiots by far. Wonder how much damage to the hotel they had to pay for?

Let's hope the Nova Scotia organizational committee for next year's Senior Nationals in Halifax learns from BC's mistakes and makes next year's Nationals the best one yet. By the way people only LEARN from their mistakes if the mistakes are pointed out to them. Hopefully Canada Soccer gave each coach an evaluation form to fill out and hopefully each coach returned it.

Yeah,I'd like to know what the MB mens team did too. From what I've heard it was nothing. Did hear that the Ont mens team was out of control on Friday night though. Sounds like your typical national tournament to me.

Archived