Journal de Montreal: Canadian Cup this October!

Daniel

It's a good start. Once the first one gets off the ground, every senior men's team will be keen on being a part of it. If anything, this could really help the various leagues and organizations get on the same page and CO-OPERATE. Fragmentation is the biggest problem in this country.

I'd like to see a Victoria United play the Whitecaps in qualifying down the road...

Interesting. I think the fact that the Lynx won't participate speaks volumes about their future.

In the unlikely event that they won the whole thing, they may not be around in 2007 to represent Canada in the CCC. Hence their lack of participation. What other reason can there be? Otherwise they would be all over this type of competition

I think the Lynx will not participate because by the time the 2006 tournament rolls around if it does, since they have not made the playoffs, their team will have dissipated and the players gone their individual ways.

Edit: I don't think the Lynx non-participation in a possible 2006 tournament bears any relationship whatsoever to whether or not the Lynx will be around for the 2007 USL season. Quite a different scenario.

Nothing official has been announced about the new CONCACAF Champions League has it? Just some rumours on BS from some U.S. Spanish language channel.

quote:Originally posted by Calgary Boomer

Once the first one gets off the ground, every senior men's team will be keen on being a part of it. If anything, this could really help the various leagues and organizations get on the same page and CO-OPERATE. Fragmentation is the biggest problem in this country.

Senior men's teams won't care. Nor will they have the budget to travel. Only about 10 different teams have entered the CSL's Open Cup. Most teams realize they can't beat the top teams.

And get the various leagues to co-operate on what? What do the VMSL, AMSL, MMSL, LSEQ, etc. have to co-operate on? National sponsors? National tv schedule? I know this is a theory that keeps getting thrown out there, but reality is, makes no difference what these beer leagues do. Unfortunately, that includes the CSL.

There needs to be a huge step up in the quality of these teams for Canadian soccer to move forward.

quote:Originally posted by Cooks

Interesting. I think the fact that the Lynx won't participate speaks volumes about their future.

In the unlikely event that they won the whole thing, they may not be around in 2007 to represent Canada in the CCC. Hence their lack of participation. What other reason can there be? Otherwise they would be all over this type of competition

It means there is no cash for the winners. If this new CCC format with a group stage happens, it means they will probably have to play 3-6 games. The Lynx don't have the budget to travel to Central America.

USL teams have to pay themselves

They will also pay travel expanses for the others at this “canadian express championship”

At the Concacaf cup :

- If an USL team qualifies, it will pay its expanses

- If another team qualifies, its provincial association has to guarantee the expanses

quote:Originally posted by Elias

It means there is no cash for the winners. If this new CCC format with a group stage happens, it means they will probably have to play 3-6 games. The Lynx don't have the budget to travel to Central America.

That can apply to most club teams in CONCACAF. I'd be looking at them borrowing from the Asian Champions League and trying to have to groups more regionalised.

ie. Impact win the tournament and will play in a group stage with a likely American team and a couple of Carribean teams.

Archived