Journal de Montreal: Canadian Cup this October!

Daniel

From a good poster on ImpactSoccer.com :

Selon Martin Smith du JDM, et bien après la saison de la USL, les 3 équipes canadiennes, le gagnant de la cpsl et des clubs amateurs se disputeront la coupe du Canada avec en prime une place à la Champions Cup de la Concacaf...

C'est la nouvelle du jour!!!

Whitecaps

Impact

Lynx

CPSL champion

Amateur clubs

Prize: CONCACAF Champions' Cup

HAHAHAHAHAHA

How long before you all admit the best thing to happen to Canadian soccer was Toronto FC?

What?! OHHHH, this is purely coincidental. Riiiiiight.

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Prize: CONCACAF Champions' Cup

If all this means is a spot in the tournament, that's pointless. The spot has always been available. The issue is the teams adding the necessary funds to their budget to compete. So if this means $100 000 to pay for the CCC expenses, then yeah, this would be good.

Oh and, isn't this basically what the Open Cup is?? If the Impact are behind this, they should be automatically banned for life from Canadian soccer for being part of the continuing stupidity that is Canadian soccer. Why didn't they just enter the Open Cup??

If Toronto FC comes along next year and sets-up their own tournament, you will all be crying bloody murder that they are ruining Canadian soccer.

Flashback to 2000 or 2001 and compare situation of the club/pro game then and now leading up to 2007. Its like night and day. We had nothing at that time other than three teams that were drawing poorly in what was then a much weaker USL. If this news regarding a national cup competition amongsts all teams in various levels ( MLS, USL, Amateur, CSL etc), I think that we will have achieve the best that you could ever hope for as far as the pro game in Canada. As far as I am concerned, the state of the game at the club level is no longer an issue or problem in Canada and if we continue to not get the desired results, then you have to point the finger at other factors such as the youth development system.

Having one mls club, three USL is a much better scenario than anyone can dream up including CUSL, CFL/CSL etc. Furthermore, we have stable and well known ownership in place in three clubs.

I've heard about this Canada Cup for a while now. It's in the works. Martin Smith got the scoop for the Journal de Montreal. Not clear yet when the CSA will announce it but it looks like good news. Some rumours today out of Montreal on the fact that some games could be played at the Big O in October. I guess we'll keep you posted.

quote:Originally posted by François

Some rumours today out of Montreal on the fact that some games could be played at the Big O in October. I guess we'll keep you posted.

To be taken with a grain of salt. We're talking anonymous posts on our boards. Then again, an anonymous poster called the Cup a few weeks ago.

Reliable source tells me CSA to hold press conference on the week of August 21 to announce the details for that tournament.

Philippe Germain

XM-172

This is good news. Including Pro, semi-pro and amateur teams. Hopefully Challenge Cup winner gets an automatic invite.

As for those concerned about T-OFC worry pas they'll be the automatic winner of the V-Cup and get the only invite for Champion's Cup in a year or two. CSA will see to that as the only team in top flight soccer ;)

quote:Originally posted by argh1

This is good news. Including Pro, semi-pro and amateur teams. Hopefully Challenge Cup winner gets an automatic invite.

As for those concerned about T-OFC worry pas they'll be the automatic winner of the V-Cup and get the only invite for Champion's Cup in a year or two. CSA will see to that as the only team in top flight soccer ;)

Yeah, right. I seriously doubt it, especially if it means more games at its stadium (see Vanier Cup).

Good to hear some confirmation on the tournament.

TFC will not have any players by October.

My idea for 2006 Canada Cup

teams list (8 teams)

-Toronto Lynx,

-Vancouver Whitecaps

-Montreal Impact

-the winnner of cpsl

-4 amateur teams

In 2007 Canada Cup

the teams list (16 teams)

-Toronto FC

-Lynx

-Vancouver Whitecaps

-Montreal Impact

-Thunder Bay Chill (PDL)

-Ottawa Fury (PDL)

-Abbotsford Rangers (PDL)

-the winner of the highest level in Ontario(Canadian Premier Soccer League)

-the winner of the highest level in Quebec (Ligue de Soccer Elite du Quebec)

-the winner of the highest level in Manitoba (Manitoba Major Soccer League)

-the winner of the highest level in Alberta

-the winner of the highest level in Saskatchewn

-the winner of the highest level in Colombie-Britannique (Pacific Coast Soccer League)

-the winner of the highest level in Nouveau-Brunswick

-the winner of the highest level in Nouvelle-Écosse

-the winner of the highest level in the rest of the canadian province (New Founland or Prince Edward Island) or the winner of the home-away serie between the second teams Canadian Premier

Soccer League and Ligue de Soccer Elite du Quebec.

My idea for 2006 Canada Cup

teams list (8 teams)

-Toronto Lynx,

-Vancouver Whitecaps

-Montreal Impact

-the winnner of cpsl

-4 amateur teams

In 2007 Canada Cup

the teams list (16 teams)

-Toronto FC

-Lynx

-Vancouver Whitecaps

-Montreal Impact

-Thunder Bay Chill (PDL)

-Ottawa Fury (PDL)

-Abbotsford Rangers (PDL)

-the winner of the highest level in Ontario(Canadian Premier Soccer League)

-the winner of the highest level in Quebec (Ligue de Soccer Elite du Quebec)

-the winner of the highest level in Manitoba (Manitoba Major Soccer League)

-the winner of the highest level in Alberta

-the winner of the highest level in Saskatchewn

-the winner of the highest level in Colombie-Britannique (Pacific Coast Soccer League)

-the winner of the highest level in Nouveau-Brunswick

-the winner of the highest level in Nouvelle-Écosse

-the winner of the highest level in the rest of the canadian province (New Founland or Prince Edward Island) or the winner of the home-away serie between the second teams Canadian Premier

Soccer League and Ligue de Soccer Elite du Quebec.

The PCSL only has no entries because it plays in the summer and the BCSA rules are tailored for winter leagues. Players must be registered by January in order to participate in the provincial tournament which suits the winter teams just fine as it is in the middle of their season when most teams have consolidated their rosters. This currently precludes most PCSL clubs who don't finalise their rosters till April. The situation may be changing in the future however.

However, if the CSL champion has an automatic place in the new cup then I would expect the PCSL to have one too, along with the winter season provincial cup winners.

someone said there are 4 amateur teams entered but only the csl champion. this doesn't make sense, the csl is "above" amateur teams (ie, vancouver firefighters)

ps-ya that was a stupid comment about TFC by me! *shakes head and laughs at self with shame* - in 2007 all we can ask is the tourny goes ahead for a second year.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

I'm guessing that the teams involved (3 USL + CPSL) know more than we do. Then, it's a question of sending the amateur teams.

Maybe they'll hold it with the Challenge Cup?

The only way I could see that happening is if the amateur teams had regional playdowns (Bc/ Alberta ; Man/Sask ; Ont/ Que ; Maritime provinces) to determine 4 winners who will then compete against the 3 USL and 1 CSL team. Maybe this is the way to start a Canadian Cup.

Just a thought.

Archived