National Team Boycott

RJB

I've been giving this some thought over the last few days: What if the members of the Men's National Team went on strike; boycotted games?

There has been some threads lately decrying the lack of vision in the CSA, and it seems to come down to leadership. We lost Holger, Yallop, among other good people, because the CSA is being run poorly.

Pipe took over in 1986, when Canadian Soccer was at its height. We've gone nowhere since. If the players boycotted now, in order to get better leadership - in order to demand change from the top down - they could be heard and have changes in place in time for the next run at the World Cup in 2008. Then they wouldn't be missing out on anything.

Am I way out of line on this?

Such a boycott would be hugely damaging for the reputation of soccer in Canada. Furthermore, even if the top players boycotted the program, there will always be lower level players ready and willing to step up and take their places.

I'd have to agree with Richard. It would look very bad for the country, there would likely be interal conflicts, and I just don't see how removing Pipe would make much of a difference. There'd just be Pipe II in place the next year. I suspect the problems in Canadian soccer are more complex than a single employee's doings and not-doings.

Ah, mutiny. Now you're talking my language.

Making Kevin Pipe a fall guy for all the NT complaints isn't a bad idea. It's a grand idea in fact and one which would for once demand accountability from the top since the provincial associations seem entirely satisfied with their long term Grand Poobah. If Pipe's head is demanded for using this sort of dramatic theatre (justified or not) it serves up an example for those who follow. So if Kevin has to take one for the team, sorry Buddie. It's been a long run, we've had some laughs, shared some tears but for the greater good of all concearned it's time to move on. There's a good lad.

Big problem with mutinys is they're all about timing and solidarity. Neither commodity is in great surplus with the NTs right now. Individual players can find themselves punished for these sort of actions, even if they're not directed at their clubs. Fellow can get labeled and some labels are hard to shake.

Honestly wouldn't take many players to stir up the pot, just depends who they are. Say what you want about replacements, there will allways be some, but the differance between your 1st team and D squad is huge and in Canada's instance tragicaly narrow.

Have to give this a good long think. Interesting if not exactly an origonal idea, just the timing right now is working against it.

I can't really see the CSA board of directors firing Kevan Pipe just after he has been instrumental in pulling off one of the biggest coups in CSA history, the new stadium in Toronto, an MLS franchise for the city and the U-20 2007 tournament, all of which were interrelated. A national team boycott would be a thoroughly nugatory exercise and whilst it might satisfy the desire for petty vengeance held by some people, it wouldn't achieve the declared objective and would very likely metaphorically blow up in the faces of its protagonists.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Such a boycott would be hugely damaging for the reputation of soccer in Canada. Furthermore, even if the top players boycotted the program, there will always be lower level players ready and willing to step up and take their places.

National team captain Patrick Leduc, anyone?;)

Archived