Question For CSA

Halifax is an unknown. As such it derserves a game. Toronto on the other hand, can't even sell out an Italy/Serbia game in the best stadium in the country to watch a game. The recent 5K and the lack of local media coverage around it also speaks volumes about the city and the black hole it is when it comes to soccer. I mean it's cute that the locals drive around honking horns after games from europe, but those "futbol" fans need to spend some money and put the asses where there car flags are.

I also wonder which city has the largest turn-out of Voyaguers for Canada games? Is it Toronto, Edmonton, Montreal or Vancouver? Could you not develop a ton of passionate Canuck fans in the Alantic provinces? If the CSA is building a park in Toronto, why not commit the same cash and effort for Halifax?

Welfare should be spread around..

Considering that Ottawa drew in the 15k- 20K range for a U-23 tournament a few years back (Franco Games) you'd think the city would get the nod over Toronto for the final. As would Edmonton.

What do you say G-Man about 35000+ plus at Skydome today to watch closed circuit Italy vs France on the Jumbotron?

Do you have some inside scoop that the Canada's Under 20s will do better than three games and out and they will be in the final? How many fans in Ottawa will go to see Argentina vs Ghana next year?

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

What do you say G-Man about 35000+ plus at Skydome today to watch closed circuit Italy vs France on the Jumbotron?

Do you have some inside scoop that the Canada's Under 20s will do better than three games and out and they will be in the final? How many fans in Ottawa will go to see Argentina vs Ghana next year?

It was free and they don't have a TV. (joking)

But it is further proof that "futbol" fans don't always translate into Canada or domestic pro fans. Where were those people for the last 15 years at Lynx games or CSL games? Tell me- what will make those people become fans who ACTUALLY pay cash to see Canada play or even an MLS team play?

That's my whole point about Toronto. Those people would never actually PAY to see a game. They're not the people who will get Canada to the WC. They're the wrong market to go after. Only some 11,000 Italians bother to support Italy against Serbia last winter in Toronto. But today some 500,000 in the area will honk and cheer into the night if they win..they're not real fans, they're festival fans..and only if it's free.

Another take:

How many Jazz clubs operate year round in Montreal? Considering Montreal is home to a Jazz festival that draws 100K plus people 2/3 times a week for 3 weeks? I'll tell you. One maybe two. Both seating less than 200 people.

Where are those Jazz fans the rest of the year? Listening to other music.

The World Cup is just that to soccer in North America as the Jazz Festival is to the Montreal jazz scene. Once it's over- gone until the next time.

As for Ottawa. The 2001 final was France vs Morocco. some 20K at the ame....so I would imgaine an Agentina vs Ghana game to be just as sexy..

The responses to my posts are just getting silly, thinking you've made a point by proving halifax people like soccer? of course they do, they like hockey too, and an NHL team would go bankrupt there. and doyleg "Shows rather than you don't even kow the basics about Halifax", that makes absolutely no grammatical sense, you can't just make a statement and be like YEAH, you got to put reasons. all I'm saying is face the facts, sure you deserve a game once every couple of years like most Canadian cities do but your not a big city, not even half a million people, just cause you wish halifax was the soccer capital of canada doesn't make it true.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

The responses to my posts are just getting silly, thinking you've made a point by proving halifax people like soccer? of course they do, they like hockey too, and an NHL team would go bankrupt there. and doyleg "Shows rather than you don't even kow the basics about Halifax", that makes absolutely no grammatical sense, you can't just make a statement and be like YEAH, you got to put reasons. all I'm saying is face the facts, sure you deserve a game once every couple of years like most Canadian cities do but your not a big city, not even half a million people, just cause you wish halifax was the soccer capital of canada doesn't make it true.

Prove the facts that Halifax doesn't deserve anything form soccer.

If you can't, quit trolling.

how does Kingston derserve the amount of games it has seen in the last few years including a WCQ????

how does Kingston derserve the amount of games it has seen in the last few years including a WCQ????

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

Maybe we should all write letters to the CSA that complain about the lack of games in the maritimes ?

Why? No offence but I would rather see games in Toronto. Same with people in Montreal they would rather see games in Montreal, you see my point.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Again.

If the CSA can use theSwan for men's national team games, they can use Huskie Stadium.

There's no excuse not play in Halifax.

That AstroTurf in Huskie Stadium says otherwise.

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

Maybe we should all write letters to the CSA that complain about the lack of games in the maritimes ?

There's 700,000 people in Mississauga, yet I've never once seen a Canadian game here.

Why no love for Mississauga? I'm gonna write a letter.

Swangard is a pretty decent stadium even though it is small. Much better quality than any of the stadiums posted by aussoccerfan. Even Richardson stadium is far superior to these stadiums. I had to laugh when I saw his pictures of these stadiums and realized he was actually serious in posting them to show that the Maritimes has adequate stadiums. I'm all for holding games in the Maritimes but there isn't even a stadium at the level of Richardson stadium there.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Swangard is a pretty decent stadium even though it is small. Much better quality than any of the stadiums posted by aussoccerfan. Even Richardson stadium is far superior to these stadiums. I had to laugh when I saw his pictures of these stadiums and realized he was actually serious in posting them to show that the Maritimes has adequate stadiums. I'm all for holding games in the Maritimes but there isn't even a stadium at the level of Richardson stadium there.

Swangard needs the bechlers to reach the crowds of a respectable size. Take those bleachers away and they are on the same level.

Now I will let you go back and feed the G-Man troll.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

Prove the facts that Halifax doesn't deserve anything form soccer.

If you can't, quit trolling.

I get the feeling people are typing without thinking, I said a bunch of times that halifax deserves a few games every few years but my point is that Halifax isn't a big market, you can't make halifax have a million people by wishing. And kingston doesn't deserve games any more then halifax, I never said it did but somehow this post:

"hmmm, probably cause the cities aren't that big but if kingston can host a few games halifax probably deserves the nod once every few years."

gets turned into I hate halifax? stop being a bunch of whiny children, you just cant compare halifax to the big cities, it will never be an annual stop for the MNT cause theirs 15 - 20 other cities the same size that deserve it just as much, jesus christ...

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

It was free and they don't have a TV. (joking)

But it is further proof that "futbol" fans don't always translate into Canada or domestic pro fans. Where were those people for the last 15 years at Lynx games or CSL games? Tell me- what will make those people become fans who ACTUALLY pay cash to see Canada play or even an MLS team play?

That's my whole point about Toronto. Those people would never actually PAY to see a game. They're not the people who will get Canada to the WC. They're the wrong market to go after. Only some 11,000 Italians bother to support Italy against Serbia last winter in Toronto. But today some 500,000 in the area will honk and cheer into the night if they win..they're not real fans, they're festival fans..and only if it's free.

Another take:

How many Jazz clubs operate year round in Montreal? Considering Montreal is home to a Jazz festival that draws 100K plus people 2/3 times a week for 3 weeks? I'll tell you. One maybe two. Both seating less than 200 people.

Where are those Jazz fans the rest of the year? Listening to other music.

The World Cup is just that to soccer in North America as the Jazz Festival is to the Montreal jazz scene. Once it's over- gone until the next time.

As for Ottawa. The 2001 final was France vs Morocco. some 20K at the ame....so I would imgaine an Agentina vs Ghana game to be just as sexy..

G-Man, that was probably your best articulated post since I have been on these boards and, see, no one is attacking you for it. Why?....because, of course, you are absolutely right on with it.

The 35,000 people at Rogers Centre yesterday are precisely why smart people keep investing (and losing) lots of money on soccer in this city. From Stavro to York Hanover to Global TV to the Hatrells (sp?) and, now, MLSE.....they see the tv ratings for WCs and Euros, they see the 50k+ for Celtic v Porto, they see the hundreds of thousands dancing the street after Italy win the WC and Greece win the Euro and they see 35,000 people going to Rogers Centre to watch a game on TV and they think "I am the one that is savvy enough to translate that into support for the domestic game". They never ask themselves....why couldn't any of those people find Rogers Centre two days earlier? They never ask....why can I do something that none of my predecessors did? They just feel that their money and expertise will translate Toronto into this mecca of domestice soccer.

So far everyone of them has been wrong. I hope they keep trying ('cause one day I want one of them to be right) but I have seen very little to suggest that MLS will be much/any different than NASL or CSL or USL in terms of attendance.

I have had lots of time to think about Friday night since I made my first (optimistic post) and I am now of the opinion that the 5k there would have found the game no matter when or where it was played and no matter what the entry fee was and no matter who was in the starting line ups....kudos to me and all of you that were there with me.....I just don't know how we ever get our neighbours and friends to join us!!!!!

the products CSA put on the field is pure garbage

not worth building a stadium for.

I'll say that stadium in the maritimes are too good for that crap the CSA is trying to market.

MLSE would have never build the stadium for the u20 if it was not for the welfare money they would have follow suit with the Saputo and Kerfoot those two are the real future of the sports in this country.

most of the tickets for the CSA products have been freebies

the attendance at those games does not reflect the true market value of the product.

yes we had decents crowd in Ottawa but most of those seats were free tickets given to civil servants be it be the Francophone games,WNT games against Brasil and England those 15k were mainly freebies.

I know a lot of peoples that had tickets and gave them away

At this point and time our current u-20 WNT would get creamed by almost all of our eastern based w-league teams

the CSA should stop playing games by supposingly playing high quality teams like China,Mexico or France lets see what they can do against top team in the country first.

Archived