Question For CSA

I have no problem with games in the Maritimes, but I do agree

with Rudi regarding these redundant threads.

In the documentary "The Journey", Tony Waiters mentioned that

St. John's, NF was chosen because the guaranteed the CSA with

the gate/purse. If any Maritime province can do the same, bring it!

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

HALIFAX has 380,000 PEOPLE!

no **** sherlock, 400 000 people isn't that big, even winnipeg and quebec city, with 700 000 aren't exactly seen as major sports markets, they couldn't even keep hockey teams, A HOCKEY TEAM IN CANADA which is what I'm pretty sure is the markey soccer envy's in Canada, hamilton's got the same number but it's like attached to toronto. There are only 6 cities in Canada that are actual markets, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary.

quote:Originally posted by Juby

no **** sherlock, 400 000 people isn't that big, even winnipeg and quebec city, with 700 000 aren't exactly seen as major sports markets, they couldn't even keep hockey teams, A HOCKEY TEAM IN CANADA which is what I'm pretty sure is the markey soccer envy's in Canada, hamilton's got the same number but it's like attached to toronto. There are only 6 cities in Canada that are actual markets, Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, Ottawa, Edmonton and Calgary.

Please take a look at these websites-

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/1/2/5/6/index1.shtml

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/2/8/1/4/index1.shtml

http://www.hockeycanada.ca/6/3/3/0/index1.shtml

http://www.worldindoorlacrosse.com/

http://www.2014halifax.com/english/home/index.cfm

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

Is there an adequate stadium in Halifax or any other Maritime cities?

Are these stadiums big enough ?

Canada Games Stadium - Saint John NB

Oland Stadium - Antigonish NS

Mainland North Common - Halifax NS

Raymond Field - Wolfville NS

Beazley Field - Dartmouth NS

Huskies Stadium - Halifax NS

Also-

Moncton is getting a new stadium, but I don't know when it will be built.

Yet Halifax can certainly hold claim to the most pro-soccer media in the country. Any match in Halifax would get a great deal of promotion and support from the fans.

You also ignore the fact that Halifax was granted a QMJHL franchise despite it's spotty history with previous clubs.

quote:Originally posted by aussoccerfan

Are these stadiums big enough ?

Canada Games Stadium - Saint John NB

Oland Stadium - Antigonish NS

Mainland North Common - Halifax NS

Raymond Field - Wolfville NS

Beazley Field - Dartmouth NS

Huskies Stadium - Halifax NS

Also-

Moncton is getting a new stadium, but I don't know when it will be built.

I could name you six stadiums in the Montreal region as well. What is the capacity, field surface and quality, facilities quality etc. Are any of these stadiums FIFA approved? Sure Belize would probably accept playing in any stadium but are any of these stadiums of the quality that a decent national team would accept to play in them. Certainly none of them are even at CFL standard yet.

I could name you six stadiums in the Montreal region as well. What is the capacity, field surface and quality, facilities quality etc. Are any of these stadiums FIFA approved? Sure Belize would probably accept playing in any stadium but are any of these stadiums of the quality that a decent national team would accept to play in them. Certainly none of them are even at CFL standard yet.

The Canadian Women were more than happy to play at Centennial so your point is rather moot. There's no reason for the U20's not to play games in the build-up in Halifax.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

The Canadian Women were more than happy to play at Centennial so your point is rather moot. There's no reason for the U20's not to play games in the build-up in Halifax.

What type of games are we talking here then. Senior Men's Team or U-20/Women's teams. The stadium required for the former is of a higher standard than the latter in general. Some of these stadiums are primarily used for football so is the turf acceptable for soccer. I am all for playing in the Maritimes if there is an adequate stadium. Both my parents are from the Maritimes and I lived in Halifax for 4 years also. There still has to be an adequate stadium though. I don't think we could play a men's game in Huskies stadium and I think it is stretching it to play a U-20 or Women's game there too. It has a capacity of 2000 though it can be expanded with temporary seating. Still not a very impressive stadium and if the other options are similar I can't really blame the CSA. Build it and they will come, if your stadiums are crap don't complain.

Huskies Stadium

stadium.jpg

You have to rememeber that the CSA has made a deal with devil (MLSE) and has completely forgot that soccer fans exist outside of the black hole of domestic soccer (Toronto). Montreal is the best market in the country, not by the lure of people who won't go to games, but by fact. The CSA finally throws a meaninless exibition game it's way. For Halifax- it ain't in Ontario, BC or Alberta- so don't hold your breath.

It's all about a pipe dream and the lure of greed. And like all greed, this toronto SSS will result in empty bank accounts and broken hearts.

follow the lure of money.

and

That pic of the stadium above would have been a lovely venue for Friday skydome game. And I'm sure more than 5k would have shown up in a region of 380,000. As for the astroturf, hey two u-20 teams playing a meaningless training match, it would have been acceptable. Considering Pele and Platini played on the stuff once in a while.

even I said halifax deserves the nod the odd time in my original post but acting like your everybit a market as the 6 cities in Canada with a million people is just being pig headed. as I said earlier, Quebec city and Winnipeg could not keep NHL teams, so do you think halifax could with less people, and by that point do you really think halifax could maintain regular soccer better then the big cities? thats just fantasy land, getting a few minor events and minor league teams doesn't change the fact that your a third of the size of the markets that are struggling with soccer.

What type of games are we talking here then. Senior Men's Team or U-20/Women's teams. The stadium required for the former is of a higher standard than the latter in general. Some of these stadiums are primarily used for football so is the turf acceptable for soccer. I am all for playing in the Maritimes if there is an adequate stadium. Both my parents are from the Maritimes and I lived in Halifax for 4 years also. There still has to be an adequate stadium though. I don't think we could play a men's game in Huskies stadium and I think it is stretching it to play a U-20 or Women's game there too. It has a capacity of 2000 though it can be expanded with temporary seating. Still not a very impressive stadium and if the other options are similar I can't really blame the CSA. Build it and they will come, if your stadiums are crap don't complain.

Huskies Stadium

stadium.jpg

And the men play at Swanguard.

Nice try in avoiding the topic, as usual.

even I said halifax deserves the nod the odd time in my original post but acting like your everybit a market as the 6 cities in Canada with a million people is just being pig headed. as I said earlier, Quebec city and Winnipeg could not keep NHL teams, so do you think halifax could with less people, and by that point do you really think halifax could maintain regular soccer better then the big cities? thats just fantasy land, getting a few minor events and minor league teams doesn't change the fact that your a third of the size of the markets that are struggling with soccer.

Shows rather than you don't even kow the basics about Halifax.

Archived