USL D1 - May 26 - Toronto vs Miami [R]

Elias

Toronto Lynx (0-0-5, 12th place) vs. Miami FC (2-2-2, 5th place)

Friday, May 26, 2006 - 11:00 AM EDT

Centennial Park Stadium (natural grass), Toronto, ON

No TV, no radio, no Webcasts.

[[ Additional pre-match articles are posted below. ]]

Well there goes any theory the Lynx knew what they were doing. I'm sure the kiddies will enjoy the game.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2006/05/24/1596095-cp.html

Romario to play in Toronto

(CP) - Brazilian soccer star Romario is expected to play for Miami F.C. in United Soccer League matches this weekend in Toronto and Montreal.

A team spokesperson said Wednesday the 40-year-old former PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona striker was booked to play in an 11 a.m. ET game Friday against the Lynx in Toronto and a Sunday afternoon match against the Impact in Montreal.

After a nearly two-week break, Miami F.C.'s next scheduled game is June 9 against the Whitecaps in Vancouver.

Romario joined the expansion Miami F.C. this season on loan from his Brazilian club Vasco da Gama. His former World Cup teammate Zinho, 38, is also on the squad.

He is attempting to become the second player after Brazilian legend Pele to score 1,000 goals in league and international play, although Romario's totals are disputed.

Romario de Sousa Faria was named tournament MVP after his five goals led Brazil to the World Cup title in 1994, when he was named FIFA world player of the year. He missed the 1998 World Cup with an injury.

Romario had 54 goals in 69 games for Brazil. His last international was April 28, 2005, when he scored twice in a 3-0 win over Guatemala.

Interesting. Ya, it's a bit of waste and it is a shame that only the kids are going to get to see him.

Is Rogers doing this game? Let's hope so.

db

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Well there goes any theory the Lynx knew what they were doing. I'm sure the kiddies will enjoy the game.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2006/05/24/1596095-cp.html

Romario to play in Toronto

(CP) - Brazilian soccer star Romario is expected to play for Miami F.C. in United Soccer League matches this weekend in Toronto and Montreal.

A team spokesperson said Wednesday the 40-year-old former PSV Eindhoven and Barcelona striker was booked to play in an 11 a.m. ET game Friday against the Lynx in Toronto and a Sunday afternoon match against the Impact in Montreal.

After a nearly two-week break, Miami F.C.'s next scheduled game is June 9 against the Whitecaps in Vancouver.

Romario joined the expansion Miami F.C. this season on loan from his Brazilian club Vasco da Gama. His former World Cup teammate Zinho, 38, is also on the squad.

He is attempting to become the second player after Brazilian legend Pele to score 1,000 goals in league and international play, although Romario's totals are disputed.

Romario de Sousa Faria was named tournament MVP after his five goals led Brazil to the World Cup title in 1994, when he was named FIFA world player of the year. He missed the 1998 World Cup with an injury.

Romario had 54 goals in 69 games for Brazil. His last international was April 28, 2005, when he scored twice in a 3-0 win over Guatemala.

TORONTO LYNX MEDIA ALERT

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

ROMARIO CONFIRMED FOR LYNX/MIAMI FC MATCH

Thursday, May 25, 2006 (Toronto, ON) Miami FC have confirmed that Brazilian superstar Romario has accompanied the team to Toronto in advance of tomorrow's match against the hometown Toronto Lynx at Centennial Park Stadium and the striker will be in the line-up when the two teams kick off at 11:00 AM.

"It's always a pleasure to see a player like Romario on the field - whether you're playing with or against him because he's such a special player", said defender Lynx Tony Menezes who also played with Romario in 2003 with Fluminense in Brazil. "He's difficult to defend because if you give him a metre, he'll find the net. It's like being in the jungle with lions - if you close your eyes for just a second you'll get caught. I enjoyed playing with him much more than I will playing against him."

Grass seating remains available and tickets may be purchased at the gate prior to the match. Centennial Park Stadium is located in Etobicoke northwest of the intersection of Rathburn Road and Renforth Drive.

-30-

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

ROB IRWIN, DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS, TORONTO LYNX SOCCER CLUB

416-251-4625 ext. 23

I've made this thread into the official match thread.

Other pre-match articles, in addition to what has been posted above:

[*]Romario's in town, but will he play? - The Toronto Star, May 26

[*]Miami FC Visit Toronto This Week - Toronto Lynx (through USLFans.com), May 23

[*]ROMARIO: What happens when a superstar hangs on too long - The Toronto Star, May 21

[*]Miami FC Prepares for 2 game Canadian Road Trip - Miami FC, May 25

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

Is Rogers doing this game?

Nope. They've had both women's matches so far, but they don't have their first men's match until June 4.

They do have Arango on Romario, as per comments, he's not all the great as per the lynxs they are a disaster. I really don't understand.

Canadian Soccer at its finest!

quote:Originally posted by El CHE

so far 1-0 miami

Romario scored the opening goal!

Final 1-0

quote:Originally posted by El CHE

They do have Arango on Romario, as per comments, he's not all the great as per the lynxs they are a disaster. I really don't understand.

Canadian Soccer at its finest!

You'd think that with Romario playing the Lynx would schgedule the game for the evening or weekend and shout it out from the rooftops to create a buzz! But nope, another marketing opportunuty squanderd. Romario came, scored and went.

I cannot weight for next April, when we will finally get PRO soccer in this city.

Result of the Friday May 26, 2006 USL game between Toronto Lynx and Miami FC played at Centennial Stadium in Etobicoke at 11:00am.

18 min…Miami Romario GOAL…Romario breaks through middle when defender chests down ball but Joe Mattacchione slips and Romario gets ball at 25 yards and takes 15 yard shot into top right corner of net beyond flying goalie Richard Goddard.

Final Score:…Toronto Lynx…….0……..Miami FC……1……..

Attendance was announced as 2832 with only the grandstand filled this year for the Lynx annual School Day game. No one would have wanted to sit on the grass slope on the east side in the rain anyway. Although it had rained during the night to make the field slippery, there was a misty rain started in the first half and a much harder rain in the second half.

Chris Doyle earned the shutout for Miami. He had to be sharp on a few shots and caught a few crosses off cornerkicks before the Lynx had time to set up anything.

Helinho had a great chance for the Lynx at 72 minutes, one minute after subbing for Neto, when he was pushed a through pass and blasted a 10 yard shot that Doyle slid out to stop. Marko Bendenikovic had a few shots stopped or off target. He had a 20 yard shot at 25 minutes that hit the right post and Jamie Dodds send a weak 12 yard re-bounder weakly to the sprawling goalie. Neto missed the net at 47 minutes when he rushed a 15 yard shot to avoid a sliding tackle. The Lynx had all four of the Yellow card given out today by referee Carol-Anne Chenard. FC defender Michael Erush convinced her to give Helinho a card for diving on the edge of the box.

The Lynx controlled the second half with Miami content to try to get Romario the ball but in the second half he was so slow that defenders were able to catch up to him. If it wasn’t for his attempt at scoring 1000 goals in his career, he should have been subbed by at least the 60 minute mark. Romario almost had scored at the 13 minute mark as he was given a short pass by John Pulido on the left of the Lynx box and missed a 7 yard shot into the open net. Joe Mattacchione saved another Romario goal at 58 minutes as he made a sliding tackle and stripped away the ball on the edge of the Lynx box when Romario waited too long to line up a shot. Romario wasn’t selfish at all as he passed when appropriate so the defenders couldn’t just narrow in on him.

Miami only subbed one player and that was Diego Walsh for Sean Fraser (the Jamaican of that name, not the Canadian) at the 70 minute mark. The Lynx first sub was at 38 minutes. A chorus of “We want David” went up from the young crowd about 15 minutes earlier and then David DiPlacido came on as a forward for Matthew Palleschi. I found DiPlacido in the walkway to the parking lot after the game and asked him if the kids had gone to his school. He said he expects they were from a school where he’d put on a soccer clinic. His best chance came at 61 minutes when he was given a backheel pass in the box but couldn’t get away a shot and at 74 minutes when the goalie punched away a cross from the left that DiPlacido was lining up for a five yard header and crunched into him leaving DiPlacido slow to get back up.

The Lynx failed to score again this game. They’ve only scored one goal in their first six league games and have a 0 and 6 record. Richard Goddard played well in net for the Lynx especially on two point blank saves on the right post at 9 minutes. Without him it could have been 4-0 in the first half and then Miami really could have set up the ball for Romario during the second half.

At a media scrum after the game, the Lynx Tony Menezes (who was neither a starter of on the bench for the team) was asked about his time playing both with Romario and against him. He made a point that his presence brings the media out to the games (yeah that’s true with stories making local outlets OMNI, CITY TV and A-Channel).

The Lynx Jamie Dodds was asked questions about Romario plus one about the Lynx poor start—“early in the season…plenty of time…” Miami’s other dangerous forward; the Brazilian “Zinho” (Crizam Oliveira) answered in Portuguese something about not being surprised that the USL was a high quality league. We then heard that Romario had changed his mind about showing up for any interviews. I will say he was signing autographs for awhile at the end of the game, posing for pictures and even holding a fan’s baby as I saw on the sports news.

The next game for Miami FC is Sunday in Montreal and four members on the Impact were in the press box watching the notes—Joey Saputo, Mike Moretto, Peter Pinizzotto and head coach Nick DeSantis. It shouldn’t be much for the Impact to worry about because Miami’s defence is suspect although the goalie is good.

The Lynx next game is Sunday June 4th at 6:00pm against Virginia Beach Mariners. On the press box sign-in sheet, Edgar Bartolomew signed in for “Toronto Lynx” so maybe he’s back with the team for 2006.

The game did take place at the scheduled time of 11:00am despite the renewed interest in finding that Romario signed to the Miami team. Every year there’s complaints on the Voyageur’s soccer message board about these school day games leaving the hard core working fans unable to attend. However expecting that many of them will defect to the MLS Toronto FC franchise starting in 2007, I can see the Lynx continue to promote their team to families and kids. The Lynx do the school day promotion again next Wednesday when the Lady Lynx host the new Hamilton Lady Avalanche at 11:00am. I suppose girl’s soccer during working hours won’t upset the hard-core.

Rocket Robin

robing@eol.ca

For Immediate Release

Toronto Lynx Game Report

Lynx Undone by Romario

Date: May 26, 2006

Venue: Centennial Park Stadium, Toronto, Ontario

Attendance: 2 832

Kick Off Time: 11:00 AM EST

Final Score: Toronto 0 Miami 1

Match Summary:

The Toronto Lynx dropped a 1-0 result at home to Miami FC this afternoon at Centennial Park Stadium. 2 832 fans braved the rain for the Lynx’ annual School Day and watched former Brazilian World Cup Champion Romario score and lead Miami to victory.

Miami came close to taking an early lead in the 9th minute. John Pulido picked up a loose ball just outside the area and fired a low drive that was well saved by Lynx ‘keeper Richard Goddard. Goddard was impressive again off the ensuing corner when he acrobatically saved Sean Fraser’s effort and denied Romario’s attempt to bury the rebound.

Former Brazilian World Cup Champion Romario came close in the 14th minute when Sean Fraser sent in a low cross. Romario hit the pass first time but sent his effort wide and high of Goddard’s goal.

Miami took the lead in the 20th minute. Romario picked up a long ball and controlled, taking a couple of steps before firing a precise shot from just inside the area into the top right of Goddard’s goal.

Toronto came close to an equaliser in the 25th minute. Marko Bedenikovic picked up Gordon Chin’s pass to the left of Miami’s goal. His in swinging shot beat Miami goalkeeper Chris Doyle but not the post, leaving the score in Miami’s favour. Toronto had various chances in a flurry of corners that ensued but could not find the back of the net.

Toronto came close again in the 39th minute. Marko Bedenikovic fed a pass into an advancing Osni Neto who fired first time, only to see his effort sail just over Doyle’s goal.

Romario came close to adding another 3 minutes from the half. The play developed in similar fashion to Romario’s opener, only this time his shot sailed over Goddard’s goal. The score remained 1-0 at the half.

Toronto attacked right from the re-start. Osni Neto’s solo run down the left side produced a thunderous strike that eluded Doyle but failed to hit the target.

Heavy rainfall, which began at the break, began to take its toll on the match as both sides struggled with the slippery pitch.

Toronto came close to an equaliser in the 73rd minute when Brazilian Helinho, who had just come on for fellow countryman Neto, had a breakaway after breaking free of his marker. Doyle rushed off his line and managed a fine save off of Helinho’s shot.

Toronto continued to press ahead and came agonizingly close to levelling the score line 4 minutes later. Darren Baxter sent in a cross that Dave Diplacido headed expertly towards goal, but his effort skipped a couple of centimetres off of the mark.

Toronto’s continued pressure could not breach Miami’s back line or goalkeeper and it was Romario’s first half strike that was the difference after 90 minutes. Toronto’s persistent pressure produced 18 shots and forced Miami goalkeeper Chris Doyle to make 3 stops for his shutout. Toronto goalkeeper Richard Goddard was impressive in goal, making 6 stops through 90 minutes of play.

Toronto holds a record of 0-6-0 as a result of today’s match and remains in 12th place of the USL Fist Division. Toronto is next in action when they take on the Virginia Beach Mariners at Centennial Park Stadium on June 4th at 6:00 PM.

Final Score: Toronto 0 Miami 1

Lineups:

Toronto: Goddard, Titus, Mattachione (Dekker 78), Williams, Arango, Bedenikovic (Sheppard 61), Dodds, Chin (Baxter 45), Aristedemo, Neto (Helinho 71), Palleschi (Diplacid0 39)

Miami: Doyle, Handy, Erush, Rodrigues, Pulido, Adeyami, Gil-Alzante, Ramirez, Zinho, Fraser (Walsh 71), Romario

Cautions: Toronto: Chin 28, Titus 45, Baxter 53, Helinho 80

Ejections: None

Shots: Toronto 18, Miami 14

Saves: Toronto 6, Miami 3

Fouls: Toronto 13, Miami 11

Scorers: Miami: Romario (unassisted) 19

The Toronto Lynx’ next game is at home against the Virginia Beach Mariners on Sunday June 4th at 6:00 PM.

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

ROB IRWIN, MEDIA RELATIONS

416-251-4625 ext. 23

The story in today's Toronto Star. The story said Andres Arango slipped up on Romario's goal, the photo caption said Tony Menezes slipped up (not even in yesterday's game) but the photo shows Joe Mattacchione on the ground as we can ready the name on the back of his jersey.

I say the photo was a different play completely as I got to see it on three sportscasts and noone ended up first face on the grass. I put the defensive miscue on Joe M as Jamie Dodds said that at the post game interviews.

Enjoy the only Lynx story carried in the paper this year...

I think the Lynx are doing more for the local soccer scene, which outweighs any bitching from those not willing to give the school kids in the city a chance to see ONE pro game all year or take a day off to see a legend of the game.

And I agree with the fact that most scarf wearing types have already jumped ship to a team that hasn't even played a game or signed a player.

A city the size of Toronto should be able to support two teams. But for some reason some supporters see it as a one or the other deal only.

SAD.

For the value of the 11AM games one just has to read this from the stars story:

Yesterday he offered no message, bypassing the post-game cameras without a word. Perhaps he was still stinging from that incident in the 35th minute, when a gaggle of schoolkids started chanting for a player whose name was not Brazilian.

"We want David!" they hollered. "We want David!"

The object of their affection was David DiPlacido, the Lynx veteran from Brampton who has never known World Cup glory and who, after the game was long over, stood near the parking lot where the Miami bus was idling, chuckling at the hilarity of it all. Romario was talking on a cell phone behind tinted windows while DiPlacido was still being hounded for his signature from the kids he had taught at soccer camp.

"It's funny," DiPlacido said, "but I don't think they know who Romario is."

quote:back to the lynx,

I think the Lynx are doing more for the local soccer scene, which outweighs any bitching from those not willing to give the school kids in the city a chance to see ONE pro game all year or take a day off to see a legend of the game.

The Lynx are doing more than zero, I'll give you that much.

The kids have 14 chances to see a pro game all year long, btw.

quote:And I agree with the fact that most scarf wearing types have already jumped ship to a team that hasn't even played a game or signed a player.

Most 'scarf wearing types' (which would encompass a large number on this board, givwen the numbers of Voyageurs' scarf orders) had no allegiance to the Lynx to begin with, or lost faith in the Hartrells (or as you like to call them, the 'Hartwells') as a legitmate ownership group years ago.

quote:A city the size of Toronto should be able to support two teams. But for some reason some supporters see it as a one or the other deal only.

You gonna dole out the cash to support two teams? Cuz I sure as hell am not.

Besides, there are far more than two teams in Toronto, as your alledgedly beloved C(P)SL can attest to.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

You'd think that with Romario playing the Lynx would schgedule the game for the evening or weekend and shout it out from the rooftops to create a buzz! But nope, another marketing opportunuty squanderd. Romario came, scored and went.

The schedule was made months before Romario signed with Miami. Planning for the school days had surely begun for all involved. I agree with Robin, I don't think it would have been right to change all that after finding out that Romario joined Miami.

Besides, I don't buy into the "let's create a buzz around one opposing player who will play just one match here" marketing strategy. I do not see that helping the Lynx in the long run. A buzz would get a bunch of Brazilians and Portuguese and snobs-who-think-local-soccer-sucks out to one match, then you won't see them again (as we've already seen with friendlies against Persepolis, Reggina and 1860 Munich). Sure, it would bring in some extra money for that one match, but in the bigger picture it would be a drop in the bucket.

I also hate, mostly out of principle but also because I think it is short-sighted, the idea of hyping pre-match carnivals, halftime concerts and post-match fireworks. But it's that much worse to hype opposing teams and players — a slap in the face to your own team and fans. I know the Lynx do these things already, as does virtually every other team in North America, but to change the schedule specifically for this purpose takes it to a new level.

That being said, apart from Romario I do have some reservations (though I don't feel as strongly as most) about matches being played during weekday mornings/afternoons. It's not fair to season ticket holders/other regulars (though I find it hard to believe that the majority of fans couldn't schedule a day off months ahead of time if they really wanted to) and the kids you get in their place won't be seen again (just like those who show up just to see Romario — however, I'd rather do something for the kids than the soccer snobs). Perhaps a compromise would be to have the Lynx play a friendly or even intrasquad scrimmage for the kids, as they wouldn't know the difference.

quote:Yesterday he offered no message, bypassing the post-game cameras without a word. Perhaps he was still stinging from that incident in the 35th minute, when a gaggle of schoolkids started chanting for a player whose name was not Brazilian.

"We want David!" they hollered. "We want David!"

The object of their affection was David DiPlacido, the Lynx veteran from Brampton who has never known World Cup glory and who, after the game was long over, stood near the parking lot where the Miami bus was idling, chuckling at the hilarity of it all. Romario was talking on a cell phone behind tinted windows while DiPlacido was still being hounded for his signature from the kids he had taught at soccer camp.

"It's funny," DiPlacido said, "but I don't think they know who Romario is."

I thought this was awesome. Robin mentioned that we finally got an article about the Lynx in The Star, but in fact it was about Romario, not the Lynx. Thankfully it ended with that wonderful bit. Kids cheering for a hometown hero and not caring about the self-serving foreigner who's getting all the hype that's based mostly on what he did a decade ago — isn't this what we we're looking for as Canadian soccer supporters? Unfortunately the kids will probably grow up and get sucked into the glitz and glamour offered elsewhere. Hopefully at least a few of them won't.

quote:I say the photo was a different play completely as I got to see it on three sportscasts and noone ended up first face on the grass. I put the defensive miscue on Joe M as Jamie Dodds said that at the post game interviews.

You are correct Robin, it was Mattacchione that fell (on his ass) on the slippery turf, allowing Romario a free shot that led to the goal. Its not like Feschuk was there to cover the actual game in any event.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I suspect there are a lot of kids under the age of 20 who don't know or really care who Romario is but they sure as heck know Jamie Peters or Kara Lang.

The girls probably know Lang, but I doubt many know Peters. Maybe after 07.

Archived