USL D1 - May 5 - Portland vs Vancouver [R]

DJT

Portland Timbers (0-0-1, 10th place) vs. Vancouver Whitecaps (2-0-0, 1st place)

Friday, May 5, 2006 - 7:00 PM PDT

PGE Park (NeXturf), Portland, OR

Radio/Audio Webcast:

MOJO 730 AM Vancouver

Audio Webcast:

Portland Timbers

This is the second match of the 2006 Cascadia Cup.

Pre-match articles from the last couple of days (thanks to USLFans.com for some of the links):

[*]Timbers take to their home pitch - Portland Tribune, May 5

[*]Timbers try to find their offense in home opener - The Oregonian, May 5

[*]Timbers open 2006 home schedule against Vancouver, Minnesota - Portland Timbers, May 4

[*]Timbers update - Portland Tribune, May 3

[*]Caps look to go 3-0 tonight in Portland - Vancouver Whitecaps, May 5

(As usual, there are articles in the Vancouver Sun and The Province that only subscribers can read online. In particular, concerning the ongoing debate about the Whitecaps' goalkeeping situation, I thought I'd point out that there are articles about Josh Wicks in both papers that appear to address this issue.)

I was getting just stadium noise, with some guy saying "Peter Schaad, do I got you?" every once in a while. Now it's just silent, but the stream is active. Can you get the actual radio signal in Duncan? If so, what are they broadcasting?

Never mind, it's working now.

Less than 15 minutes remaining:

Portland 1 Vancouver 1

21' POR Chad Bartlome (turns out he is a new roster addition)

53' VAN Tony Donatelli

The Whitecaps have a text match tracker here (which I believe gets replaced by a match report after the match - I don't understand why they take down the tracker as it provides more details than match reports).

Final:

Portland 1 Vancouver 1

21' POR Chad Bartlome

53' VAN Tony Donatelli

Donatelli's was described by Schaad and Errington as a goal-of-the-week candidate.

Here is the text from the Whitecaps match tracker, before they take it down from their site (I said before that it is more detailed than match reports, but upon closer inspection I noticed that it isn't so detailed for this match (not to mention that they stopped updating it after 81 minutes) - I think there were more details for the last match, but I didn't think to save that one):

May 5, 2006 - Vancouver Whitecaps 1: Portland Timbers 1 after 81 minutes of play.

Attn: 5448

Goals:

Portland - Chad Bartlome - 21'

Vancouver - Tony Donatelli - 53'

Cautions:

Vancouver - Geodie Lyall - 29'

Portland - Michael Nsien - 29'

Portland - Lee Morrison - 49'

Game Notes:

15' - Vanc - Donatelli feeds the ball to Jordan for a breakaway from the top of the 18-yard-box, however was called offside

16' - Port - Bartlome heads the ball just over the net on a nice cross from Alcaraz

21' - Port - Alcaraz fires a hard shot on Wicks from 22 yards out. Wick has trouble controlling the ball and #23 Chad Barlome quickly gets a foot on it to give the Timbers a 1-0 lead.

24' - Vanc - Lyall fires the ball high from 20 yards out

29' - Vanc - Lyall receives a yellow card

29' - Port - Nsien receives a yellow card

39' - Vanc - Jordan fires the ball from the 6-yard box off a corner kick from Lyall. Timbers keeper Saunders makes a nice diving save

45' - Vanc - Alfredo Valente in for Dave Morris

49' - Port - Morrison receives a yellow card

53' - Vanc - Martin Nash takes the ball to the right corner, then finds Tony Donatelli at the top of the 18-yard box. Donatelli takes one touches a wirers a cracker in the top right hand corner of the net to tie the game 1-1.

59' - Port - Troy Ready in for Hugo Alcaraz

60' - Vanc - Eduardo Sebrango in for Joey Gjertsen

62' - Port - Byron Alvarez receives a yellow card

71' - Port - Oral Bullen in for Byron Alvarez

78' - Vanc - Jay Alberts in for Martin Nash

Rosters:

Vancouver Whitecaps Line Up

0 - GK - Josh Wicks

12 - D - Geordie Lyall

3 - D - Steve Klein

4 - D - Adrian Cann

8 - D - Steve Kindel

14 - M - Tony Donatelli

2 - M - Jeff Clarke

7 - M - Martin Nash - out at 78'

20 - M - Dave Morris - out at 45'

17 - F - Joey Gjertsen - out at 60'

26 - F - Jason Jordan

Substitutes

29 - GK - Serge Djekanovic

6 - M - Jay Alberts - in at 78'

9 - M - Alfredo Valente - in at 45'

11 - M - David Testo

18 - F - Eduardo Sebrango - in at 60'

19 - F - Sita-Taty Matondo

25 - D - Anthony Noreiga

Coach: Bob Lilley

Assistant Coach: Mike Toshack

Portland Timbers

31 - GK - Josh Saunders

26 - D - Michael Nsien

17 - D - Scot Thompson

16 - D - Mike Randolph

4 - D - Morrison Lee

2 - D - Jacobi Goodfellow

7 - M - Hugo Alcaraz - out at 59'

10 - M - Luke Kreamalmeyer

13 - M - Alejandro Gutierrez

15 - F - Byron Alvarez - out at 71'

23 - F - Chad Bartlome

Substitutes

0 - GK - Devin Zimmerman

33 - D - Josh Brown

6 - M - Tom Poltl

8 - M - Edwin Miranda

9 - F - Oral Bullen - in at 71'

11 - F - Drew Mcathy

19 - M - Troy Ready - in at 59'

Tonight's Officials:

Ref: Colin Arblaster

Assistants: Eric Dottgrar and Eduardo Irigoyen

4th Official: Ben Chouaf

BWA, did you record it? Damn, for some reason my recorder stopped early and I didn't notice. [:I] I got only the pre-match and most of the first half. 

USL match report

Timbers match report:

TIMBERS DRAW WHITECAPS IN HOME OPENER

May 05, 2006

PORTLAND, Ore. – Chad Bartlomé scored a goal in his debut and Josh Saunders made several key saves to lead the Portland Timbers to a 1-1 draw with the Vancouver Whitecaps in front of 5,448 Saturday night at PGE Park.

Bartlomé, who officially joined the team earlier in the afternoon, put the Timbers ahead in the 21st minute when midfielder Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar brought the ball into the center of the field and launched a blistering shot from the edge of the area. The ball took a deflection off of a Whitecaps defender and keeper Josh Wicks was only able to parry the ball, which fell to the path of on-rushing Bartlomé, who buried the shot in the back of the net.

Vancouver leveled the score in the 53rd minute when a cross in from Martin Nash found midfielder Tony Donatelli on the edge of the area, who controlled the ball and sent a hard shot past the diving Saunders and into the net.

Bartlomé also saw a header just miss over the bar on a cross from midfielder Alcaraz-Cuellar.

Alcaraz-Cuellar gave the Timbers another great feed just a moment later, with striker Byron Alvarez latching onto the free kick but heading it just wide of the target.

Luke Kreamalmeyer almost sealed the victory for the Timbers when he unleashed a searing shot in the 72nd minute when he brought the ball up the field and launched a ball from 25 yards out straight into the arms of Wicks.

The Timbers continue their opening weekend by hosting the Minnesota Thunder on Saturday at 7 p.m. at PGE Park.

HEAD COACH CHRIS AGNELLO ON THE MATCH:

”I felt like we were in a good situation in the first half; we like to get that first goal. I’m very proud of our performance. Their goal was smashed into the upper corner and there wasn’t much we could do about it; I can’t fault our players. Tonight we’ll review our performance and make the appropriate changes so we’re ready for tomorrow’s game.”

TIMBERS NOTES: To celebrate opening weekend and Cinco de Mayo, the Timbers featured half-time entertainment from the March 4 Marching Band … Timber Jim was presented a check by the Timbers Army for his granddaughter’s scholarship fund … Bartlomé’s first-half goal was the first scored against the Whitecaps this season.

SCORING SUMMARY: POR Bartlomé 21’ (Alcaraz-Cuellar), VAN Donatelli 53’ (Nash)

MISCONDUCT SUMMARY: POR Nsien YC (26’), Morrison YC (49’), Alvarez (62’); VAN Lyall YC (12’)

LINEUPS: VANCOUVER (2-0-1) J. Wicks GK, S. Klein D, A. Cann D, S. Kindel D, G. Lyall D, J. Clarke M, M. Nash M (Alberts 78’), T. Donatelli M, D. Morris M (Valente 45’) (Noreiga, 90’), J. Gjertsen F (Sebrango 59’), J. Jordan F (Matondo 73’).

PORTLAND (0-1-1) J. Saunders GK, J. Goodfellow D, S. Thompson D, L. Morrison D, M. Nsien D, M. Randolph D, H. Alcaraz-Cuellar M (Ready 58’), A. Gutierrez M, L. Kreamalmeyer M, B. Alvarez F (O. Bullen, 70’), C. Bartlomé F.

Whitecaps match report:

WHITECAPS TIE TIMBERS 1-1

May 5, 2006 - Portland Timbers 1

Vancouver Whitecaps 1

Friday, May 5, 2006

PGE Park, Portland, OR (attendance: 5,448)

Overview:

The Whitecaps battled to a 1-1 tie away to the Portland Timbers in Vancouver's first road game of the season. Midfielder Tony Donatelli, getting his first start for the Caps, scored a superb second-half equalizer to maintain Vancouver's undefeated record.

The Whitecaps stay in first place in the USL First Division with a record of 2W-0L-1T for seven points. The Timbers are still looking for their first win, and sit at 0-1-1 for 1 point, good for ninth place. Both their games were against Vancouver.

The Whitecaps now return to Swangard for a three-game home stand, starting with the Minnesota Thunder, on Sunday, May 14, Mother's Day, in a 7:00 p.m. start. First though, the Whitecaps Women have their big home-opener against the Seattle Sounders Saints on Friday, May 13, also a 7:00 p.m. kickoff at Swangard.

Scoring Summary:

21' Port Chad Bartlomé (Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar)

A long ball into the box by Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar took a bad bounce, deceiving goalkeeper Josh Wicks who gave up a rebound. The ball was put away by brand new signing Bartlomé playing in his first game. It was the only goal conceded by Wicks in three games this season.

53' Vanc Tony Donatelli (Martin Nash)

Nash's cross was only headed partially cleared, with the ball falling to Donatelli who neatly controlled the ball before blasting a left-footer into the top corner.

Game Notes:

The Whitecaps had the better of the first-half chances but had trouble finding the target. Defender Geordie Lyall fired over the bar from good position at 24', Jeff Clarke missed the net from 14 yards at 28', and moments later Jason Jordan saw his chip shot deflected wide. Jordan had another chance at 40', but his quick shot was stopped by the goalkeeper Josh Saunders.

Striker Eduardo Sebrango came into the game at the hour mark, making his first Vancouver appearance since September 10, 1999. He wasted no time making his presense felt, at 65' he tested the keeper with a quick shot, which Josh Saunders stopped with difficulty.

Josh Wicks made a fine save to keep the score level at 72' as he held a good shot from Portland's Luke Kreamalmeyer.

Speedy Whitecaps striker Sita-Taty Matondo came in for the last quarter-hour. He had a good chance almost right away as he broke in alone chasing a through pass at 77', however the ball bounced high on the artificial turf, allowing the keeper to pull it down.

This game counts towards the Cascadia Cup standings, the fan-sponsored competition between Vancouver, Portland, and Seattle. The Whitecaps are the two-time defending Cascadia Cup champions, and lead the standings again this season with four points from two games.

This was defender Steve Kindel's 200th career game for Vancouver.

Midfielder Martin Nash has played 39 consecutive games, spanning three seasons.

Portland have a quick turn-around as on Saturday they host the Minnesota Thunder.

Whitecaps: 0.Josh Wicks - 12.Geordie Lyall, 3.Steve Klein, 4.Adrian Cann, 8.Steve Kindel - 7.Martin Nash (6.Jay Alberts 78'), 14.Tony Donatelli, 2.Jeff Clarke, 20.Dave Morris (9.Alfredo Valente 45'; 25.Anthony Noreiga 90') - 17.Joey Gjertsen (18.Eduardo Sebrango 60'), 26.Jason Jordan (19.Sita-Taty Matondo 73')

Portland: 31.Josh Saunders - 2.Jacobi Goodfellow, 16.Mike Randolph, 17.Scot Thompson, 4.Lee Morrison, 26.Michael Nsien - 7.Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar (19.Troy Ready 58'), 10.Luke Kreamalmeyer, 13.Alejandro Gutierrez - 15.Byron Alvarez (9.Oral Bullen 71'), 23.Chad Bartlomé

Shots: Portland 10 Vancouver 7

Saves: Portland 3 Vancouver 4

Fouls: Portland 11 Vancouver 20

Offside: Portland 1 Vancouver 6

Corner Kicks: Portland 2 Vancouver 3

Referee: Colin Arblaster (California)

Cautions:

Portland: Nsien 30', Morrison 49', Alvarez 62'

Vancouver: Lyall 30'

I saw the highlight of the Portland goal. Shameful. When Tony Caig arrives, Josh Wicks better find himself on the bench. He got two straight shutouts, but he looked shaky, and unconfident. And then he lets that goal in...

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by RJB

I saw the highlight of the Portland goal. Shameful. When Tony Caig arrives, Josh Wicks better find himself on the bench. He got two straight shutouts, but he looked shaky, and unconfident. And then he lets that goal in...

Right, blame the keeper for a deflected shot. You are a total loser and an Anglo wanabee, you're on the wrong site, buddy.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Right, blame the keeper for a deflected shot. You are a total loser and an Anglo wanabee, you're on the wrong site, buddy.

Is this for real? And what is an Anglo wannabe?

Also, it's nice to know I'm still your buddy, even after you call me a loser.

Thanks pal.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by RJB

Is this for real? And what is an Anglo wannabe?

Also, it's nice to know I'm still your buddy, even after you call me a loser.

Thanks pal.

Josh, is that you posting?

I guess somewhere along the line I became oversensitive and missed an irony perhaps. Or a few other literary devices as well?

I am ashamed to admit I took you literally, and humbly defer.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

It was not a deflected shot. It was a shot by Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar that had some topspin and went low on Wicks and he was unable to control it and Bartlome knocked in the loose ball from just a yard or two out as it bounced off Wicks' chest.

A fan behind the goal described the defense as "parting for a second" where Hugo had a clear shot at net, so apparently he saw the shot the whole way, he just couldn't control it cleanly and Bartlome was right there to make him pay for it.

Wicks is an average keeper at best and will not be in the line-up when Caig arrives. He's capable of shot stopping, but his hands and cross taking abilities are poor. If he gets his confidence up he's a capable back-up. The two consecutive shutouts prior to Portland, were a result of great play by Cann and Klien - the two pilars of the Caps back-line.

Cann is so far the best acquisition of the off-season.

quote:Originally posted by Allison A

It was not a deflected shot. It was a shot by Hugo Alcaraz-Cuellar that had some topspin and went low on Wicks and he was unable to control it and Bartlome knocked in the loose ball from just a yard or two out as it bounced off Wicks' chest.

A fan behind the goal described the defense as "parting for a second" where Hugo had a clear shot at net, so apparently he saw the shot the whole way, he just couldn't control it cleanly and Bartlome was right there to make him pay for it.

quote:Originally posted by RDA

Wicks is an average keeper at best and will not be in the line-up when Caig arrives. He's capable of shot stopping, but his hands and cross taking abilities are poor. If he gets his confidence up he's a capable back-up. The two consecutive shutouts prior to Portland, were a result of great play by Cann and Klien - the two pilars of the Caps back-line.

Cann is so far the best acquisition of the off-season.

I think Wicks has lots of potential, and Caig is being brought in partially to help him develop.

One could argue that Donnatelli is the best signing in the off season...but Cann would be up there for sure. I hope by season's end, it's a tough choice between those two and Sebrango. Eddy's really happy about playing in VCR and got some good reviews in Portland.

quote:

I think Wicks has lots of potential, and Caig is being brought in partially to help him develop.

One could argue that Donnatelli is the best signing in the off season...but Cann would be up there for sure. I hope by season's end, it's a tough choice between those two and Sebrango. Eddy's really happy about playing in VCR and got some good reviews in Portland.

I hope that Sebrango does help. The Caps need some offensive flair in the near future, despite their good record. JJ just looks out of place.

Cann has been dynamite. I've loved his strength. I think at this point, it's too early to tell who the top signing has been. Donatelli has only had the one start, and guys are just getting games recently, so we'll see what happens.

That being said, does anyone know when Caig actually arrives?

Archived