Toronto MLS soccer channel

Jason

Since MLSE runs Leafs TV and Raptors TV, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that they would start Blizzard TV or whatever the MLS club's name is? They could broadcast their games as well as other MLS matches. To fill in the gaps they could pick up rights to some of the other foreign leagues that we currently do not have access to in Canada.

Has anyone heard about this being a possibility?

Jason

Nobody asked specifically whether there would be a Black Squirrels TV at our recent meeting, at least that I recall. However, we do know that they can't show MLS games on Leafs or Raptors TV - to do so would be against their licence with the CRTC for those stations (hockey & basketball only, respectively).

I'm seem to rcall, at least in a short term (ie before 'kick off), he felt that this would be unlikly and not a favored move on the part of the brass. Thats at least what my left ear took in. My right was busy being called an asshole...but that, as they say, is another story.

mob7.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Nobody asked specifically whether there would be a Black Squirrels TV at our recent meeting, at least that I recall. However, we do know that they can't show MLS games on Leafs or Raptors TV - to do so would be against their licence with the CRTC for those stations (hockey & basketball only, respectively).

While I doubt there would be a "MLS TV" I don't think it would be difficult for a license ammendment to show MLS games on Leafs tv. The sales pitch to the CRTC would be along the lines of..."good for the customers as it means more live product rather than reruns during the hockey offseason and good for us as it means more canadian content". The most they would have to do is rename it MLSE tv.

The CRTC regularly amends license provisions in midstream (such as allowing the Score to show live programming when it was licensed to be a sports news channel and allowing OMNI to vary from its "multi-cultural, alternative" programming to enhance the city's diversity with broadcasts of David Letterman, Friends and yet another outlet for Law and Order).

CRTC licenses have seldom (not sure if ever) restricted broadcasters from trying to make the most of their investment in a station/network.

What's wrong with L&O? You can never have enough channels showing them enough times (what's it like about 10 channels non-stop these days or something).

As for Black Squirrels TV, what exactly would they show? There's already too much soccer on Canadian tv. Yes, too much. Problem is not enough Canadian soccer. And no, BS TV will not show Canadian soccer. How much Canadian hockey/basketball (CHL, AHL, universities, etc.) do Leafs and Raptors TV show? Besides the Marlies, none. They would rather show some complete stupidities like some mid-western US hockey league and no-name US college hockey which they probably get for free.

You have TSN, Sportsnet, Score, FSWC, Gol TV, plus the local Toronto stations that could show the games. Plus, I think Gol TV Canada is partly-owned by MLSE interests.

In the past MLS commissioner Don Garber has talked about the league starting a channel called "MLS TV". Obviously it won't only show MLS matches, but would highlight matches that show American players. If that channel does come to fruition by the time Toronto enters MLS I'm guessing Fulham would be shown every other match :D

quote:Originally posted by Elias

What's wrong with L&O? You can never have enough channels showing them enough times (what's it like about 10 channels non-stop these days or something).

I am a huge L&O fan....watch it whenever I can....I was just pointing out that if a "multi-cultural" channel can have its licensed reworked to allow it to become a US rerun channel (while getting a license for a second multi-cultural channel which is now evovling into reruns of the reruns) then a hockey channel can get an amendment to show soccer in the summer.

quote:

As for Black Squirrels TV, what exactly would they show? There's already too much soccer on Canadian tv. Yes, too much. Problem is not enough Canadian soccer. And no, BS TV will not show Canadian soccer. How much Canadian hockey/basketball (CHL, AHL, universities, etc.) do Leafs and Raptors TV show? Besides the Marlies, none. They would rather show some complete stupidities like some mid-western US hockey league and no-name US college hockey which they probably get for free.

My bet is that Leafs TV would like to show their own soccer in the summer. The best "model" to look at is YES (Yankees Entertainment System) in the states. Effectively this was the NY Yankees channel and they discovered that even their name power couldn't hold on to all of their subscirbers in the off season. That became part of the driving force behind the Yankees doing a cross-marketing deal with Man. Utd. so that YES could have some new programming in the winter (essentially re-broadcasts of ManUTV stuff).

quote:Originally posted by Jason

Since MLSE runs Leafs TV and Raptors TV, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that they would start Blizzard TV or whatever the MLS club's name is? They could broadcast their games as well as other MLS matches. To fill in the gaps they could pick up rights to some of the other foreign leagues that we currently do not have access to in Canada.

Has anyone heard about this being a possibility?

Jason

FOX carries MLS on digital. Toronto MLS will most likely be broadcast there.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I'm sure they will have games. My question is will MLSE follow the pattern of creating a cable TV channel featuring the MLS team like they did with the Leafs and Raptors.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I think its more likely they will buy air time, if need be.

I think it is more likely that they will just use existing airtime on the Leafs existing digital channel that has a hard time hanging on to subscribers over the summer months.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

doesn't ESPN and ESPN2 carry a good numeber of the games???

ESPN2 has traditionally shown one game every week, usually on Saturday afternoons. All other games are generally televised by the various Fox Sportsnet channels down south, as well as Fox Soccer Channel.

By the way, most games are available for live and archived streaming at mlsnet.com. The only matches that are not available are the ones televised by ABC/ESPN2...at least that was the case last year.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

...unless Sportsnet or the Score outbid FSWC for the Canadian rights to Toronto MLS games. Or, (a more likely scenario) MLS buys time on Sportsnet or the Score to show Toronto MLS games. I'm sure that MLS and MLS&E would prefer a network with a much broader reach than FSWC. I exclude TSN because I doubt they'd be interested.

Archived