Please help answer this question...

newyork44

I am doing some research for a a paper and I need info about the Nova Scotia Clippers of the CSL--they played one year -1991- Anyone know who coached them? Who some players were? Where they played?...If you have any links I would appreciate those as well--thanks in advance.....

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

The only thing I can recall is that their first round (overall) draft choice was Tommy Kouzmanis, and I believe he did play for them later that year.

Their most famous player I think was Gordon Hill, who, if I recall right was the player-coach. Gordon's claim to fame is that he once played for the once mighty Inter-Montreal of the orginal CPSL and spent some time at Manchester United, Derby, England and the Montreal Manic amoung others.

Right all around. Gordin Hill was their player-coach and a man of some note.

The popular but marginaly skilled Stew Galloway, who'd played with the Fury the year before was part of the Clippers squad that year but those are the only two I can remember to be honest. Stew probably played central/right mid for the Clippers.

But as luck would have it, I've managed to find a surviving match program from the July 24th, 1991 contest at WSC between the Clippers and the Fury.

The Clipper roster as published;

Gordon Hill; Coach/General Manager

Ashley I. Phillips; Assistant General Manager

Mike Sutton; Therapist

#2 Jamie Pollock; MF

#3 Neil Sedgewick; D

#4 Dino Lopez; D

#5 Murray David; D

#6 Robbie Cleugh; MF

#7 Lee Sullivan; MF

#8 Tony Pignatiello; MF

#9 Dennis Larsen; F

#10 George Kyreakakos; F

#11 Tom Kouzmanis; D

#12 Philip Ruiz; D

#14 Dana Peoples; MF

#15 Jeff Kelleher; D

#16 Stewart Galloway; MF Stew! Stew! Stew!

#17 Pat Sullivan; MF

#18 Peter MacIntosh; F

#19 Nick Papadopoulos; MF

#20 Gordon Hill; F

#21 Lewis Page; MF

#22 Shel Brodsgaard; GK

#23 Hunter Madeley; F

Somehow recall the Clippers having a full bench but that roster list seems big. Hard for me to, *cough, ahem*, remember much of the early '90s but that's what's published.

See there are bits and pieces written up in the program. Ha! Lookit that, Hill has a winners medal from Manchester U's FA Cup victory in '76.

Kouzmanis, former Olympian was selected by the Clippers in the open draft.

The 'keeper, Brodsgaard played to 5 shutouts with Victoria in '90.

Pigniatello missed much of the Blizzards '90 campain with knee injurys.

Now there's an eye opener. Sedgwick although drafted by the Fury the year previous never made it into a red shirt and played the '90 season with Lucania so went back to Halifax to play with King of Donair and St. Mary's.

Pignatiello (sounded familiar) had played a season with the Rockets before being traded for the '90 season with Toronto. Subsequently drafted by the Clippers.

So more or less, that's it. Good luck.

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

Pignatiello (sounded familiar) had played a season with the Rockets before being traded for the '90 season with Toronto. Subsequently drafted by the Clippers.

He was a promising player with Toronto. Great, if somewhat obvious, nickname too. "Piggy"

Always good for a laugh in the stands when the coach would be screaming "Piggy" across the field.

db

• 1 year later...

your missing some information.

assistant coach was Micky Lyons who plaid for england.

#2 Jamie Pollock; MF was from new brunswick.

#3 Neil Sedgewick; D playes for SMU DAL and king of donair

#4 Dino Lopez; D played for team canada

#5 Murray David; D

#6 Robbie Cleugh; MF

#7 Lee Sullivan; MF came from scotland

#8 Tony Pignatiello; MF

#9 Dennis Larsen; F Came from Denmark killer shot

#10 George Kyreakakos; F playes for SMU and king of donair

#11 Tom Kouzmanis; D rookie

#12 Philip Ruiz; D mount allison and king of donair

#14 Dana Peoples; MF

#15 Jeff Kelleher; D SMU and king of donair

#16 Stewart Galloway; MF Stew! Stew! Stew! now coach of SMU

#17 Pat Sullivan; MF

#18 Peter MacIntosh; F SMU and Cole Harbour

#19 Nick Papadopoulos; MF SMU

#20 Gordon Hill; F

#21 Lewis Page; MF SMU and king of Donair

#22 Shel Brodsgaard; GK gordon used to call him a poufter becuase of his pink bandana.

#23 Hunter Madeley; F

most local players played for smu and king of donair, there are a few links if you google king of donair.

There was an other native indian player who was traded to them, i forget his name, TSN did a show on him for being the first native indian in pro sports. I was sad, i heard he died in a car accident a year later. couple players enjoyed Halifax so much they came to school here, Tony Pignatiello, and Dino Lopez. Lewis Page is now coaching UPEI, George Kyreakakos brieflly played pro in Greece.

Clippers started the season undefeated for 7 or 8 games, many ties, they lead the league. In their home and away playoff series they lost to north york rockets. earlier in the season they beat either the rockets or toronto, with gordon hill 44 years old scoring 2 goals, he could barelly run his knees were so bad, but he had a killer volley, and he could barry the football.

quote:Originally posted by maldini

your missing some information.

assistant coach was Micky Lyons who plaid for england.

#2 Jamie Pollock; MF was from new brunswick.

#3 Neil Sedgewick; D playes for SMU DAL and king of donair

#4 Dino Lopez; D played for team canada

#5 Murray David; D

#6 Robbie Cleugh; MF

#7 Lee Sullivan; MF came from scotland

#8 Tony Pignatiello; MF

#9 Dennis Larsen; F Came from Denmark killer shot

#10 George Kyreakakos; F playes for SMU and king of donair

#11 Tom Kouzmanis; D rookie

#12 Philip Ruiz; D mount allison and king of donair

#14 Dana Peoples; MF

#15 Jeff Kelleher; D SMU and king of donair

#16 Stewart Galloway; MF Stew! Stew! Stew! now coach of SMU

#17 Pat Sullivan; MF

#18 Peter MacIntosh; F SMU and Cole Harbour

#19 Nick Papadopoulos; MF SMU

#20 Gordon Hill; F

#21 Lewis Page; MF SMU and king of Donair

#22 Shel Brodsgaard; GK gordon used to call him a poufter becuase of his pink bandana.

#23 Hunter Madeley; F

most local players played for smu and king of donair, there are a few links if you google king of donair.

There was an other native indian player who was traded to them, i forget his name, TSN did a show on him for being the first native indian in pro sports. I was sad, i heard he died in a car accident a year later. couple players enjoyed Halifax so much they came to school here, Tony Pignatiello, and Dino Lopez. Lewis Page is now coaching UPEI, George Kyreakakos brieflly played pro in Greece.

Clippers started the season undefeated for 7 or 8 games, many ties, they lead the league. In their home and away playoff series they lost to north york rockets. earlier in the season they beat either the rockets or toronto, with gordon hill 44 years old scoring 2 goals, he could barelly run his knees were so bad, but he had a killer volley, and he could barry the football.

George Kyreakakos played for the NSSL's HCU Athens last summer.

Here's a link for your CSL Past: http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/year/1991.html#CSL

From that site, about the 1991 season:

The CSL had suffered the loss of Victoria, Edmonton, Ottawa and London the previous season, but expanded into the Maritime provinces for the first time with the Nova Scotia Clippers, who made a reasonable performance their first season, coming in right behind Montreal. The regular season once again belonged to the Vancouver 86ers, who were only the second team to win 20 regular season games. In the playoffs, North York easily disposed of Nova Scotia and Hamilton won a split series with Montreal, 3-0, 3-4 and 1-0. In the semifinals, Toronto defeated North York 2-0, 1-2 and 1-0, while Vancouver won on goals aggregate after a 1-1 draw and a 2-1 victory against Hamilton. The Championship game was a high scoring affair, with Vancouver breaking Hamilton's stranglehold on the trophy, winning its first title by beating Toronto 5-3.

The CSL had always had financial problems, and sometimes it seemed a miracle when the league could pull through to see another season. this year the financial pinch became particularly acute. The Nova Scotia experiment failed, and the Clippers folded at the end of the season. Hamilton, the perennial champion and original league member also folded, along with Kitchener. Sadly, this was to be the next to the last season for the league.

Final CSL League Standings, 1991:

Before the season, Nova Scotia was added. Kitchener changed their nickname to

Kickers.

G W T L GF GA PTS

Vancouver 86ers 28 20 4 4 69 31 64

Toronto Blizzard 28 14 6 8 57 33 48

North York Rockets 28 13 9 6 50 36 48

Hamilton Steelers 28 14 4 10 42 38 46

Montreal Supra 28 11 7 10 41 38 40

Nova Scotia Clippers 28 7 7 14 29 53 28

Kitchener Kickers 28 4 7 17 28 56 19

Winnipeg Fury 28 4 6 18 26 57 18