Men’s National Team Prepares for USA

Richard

"Despite an agreement between the Canadian Soccer Association and IFK Goteborg regarding the services of Canadian striker Ali Gerba, the Swedish club has refused to release Gerba for the friendly against the USA on January 22 stating he is unfit to travel…

Canadian midfielder Atiba Hutchinson joined his team mates in Los Angeles, CA late Tuesday after finalizing a move from Helsingborg in Sweden to Denmark’s FC Copenhagen earlier this week…

"

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

How can someone be "unfit to travel"?

It is not a FIFA date, so if he has a knock or is injured they have no obligation to send him to the national team camp so the team doctors can take a look, as often happens, especially when the club and national team are not in regular contact.

They simply refuse the request saying he is unfit and that is that, there is nothing more to it.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by David C.

Regardless of the lack of FIFA-date, I find it odd that a club has the authority to stop a player from national team duty, when they are out of season.

Do you think he is paid out of season (okay, I remember an interview with Charlton and he spoke of how their salaries dropped sharply in the off-season, but that was then)?

If he is under contract and limited by that to certain activities related to his work obligations, one may be not showing up at a camp that is in a non-authorized date if the club does not approve. I think it is clear, but I imagine that they saw something in the medical or asked him to rest before pre-season.

Archived