Francophone Games: Canada vs Niger (R)

Alberto7

Ouch...

They lose 6-1 to Niger.

http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/PlusSports/2005/12/08/003-francocanadaniger.shtml

Jeux de la Francophonie

Le Canada s'incline face au Niger.

Visage cramoisi, souffle coupé et jambes chancelantes, l'équipe canadienne de soccer a perdu un 2e match aux Jeux de la Francophonie. Après s'être inclinés 5-0 face au Cameroun, les Canadiens ont baissé pavillon 6-1 contre le pays organisateur, le Niger. Avec deux défaites, ils sont déjà éliminés du tournoi.

La chaleur excessive (35 degrés Celsius) aura eu raison du Canada qui ne s'attendait pas à devoir supporter de telles températures. L'entraîneur Rudy Doliscat a été philosophe: « Si on était capables de garder un peu plus le ballon, on se fatiguerait moins à lui courir derrière. »

« C'est infernal, l'air est irrespirable, ça brûle les poumons. C'est impossible de suivre le rythme de nos adversaires qui sont habitués à ce genre de températures », a indiqué le joueur Nicolas Suter.

Mauvaise préparation

Le Canada avait pourtant anticipé la situation. L'équipe est arrivée en Afrique dès le 27 novembre. Le problème, c'est qu'elle a plutôt mal choisi sa destination pour établir son camp d'entraînement: Marrakech et la douceur de ses 15 degrés.

À la défense des Canadiens, le comité d'organisation des Jeux avait annoncé des températures entre 13 et 25 degrés, lors d'une conférence de presse à la mi-novembre...

Looks like that even a better team have a similar problem. France lost 3:0. The other teams might be a year or two older then our guys.

Team Canada probablly needs more preparation time and more experience.

Mercredi 07 décembre

Football : Burkina Faso (4) - Haïti (0)

Football : France (0) - Mali (3)

This is a U20 tournament right? And these guys are almost all 2007 U20 eligible, so that makes us younger than the opposition.

I'd like us to do well at the Francophone Games, but I really don't care. It looks like a useful means for evaluating a lot of the domestic-based non-pro U20s. And right now they're not doing well. Better we know that now than in two years.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

More preperation time? Perhaps, but they arrived in Morocco on November 26th. Certainly longer then most Canadian teams have before playing a few matches.

They definetly need more experience as this team is rather wet behind the ears in terms of international play.

I thought too about the "experience of international play", but does Cameroon or Niger have a lot of such experience?

Let's piss away more of our budget on useless activities. Let's see our country and sport fabulously represented in the annual World Inuit Games and the ever popular biannual Paraplegic Beach Futsal.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Let's piss away more of our budget on useless activities. Let's see our country and sport fabulously represented in the annual World Inuit Games and the ever popular biannual Paraplegic Beach Futsal.

I bet this comes out of a different pot of coin than the CSA's. I'm all for a all Aberta team of Pole dancers attending the world stripper games in Portland.

And I bet Harper would be front row...

Yess, it was a big waste of money in 1989 and 1997 when we won it all and in 2001 when we lost in the 1/4 finals......

BTW, I'm not sure it's all CSA money, the federal and quebec government help for that kind of event.

Haven't we heard all this before. There are several redundant themes here:

1) "Rudy Doliscat a été philosophe: « Si on était capables de garder un peu plus le ballon, on se fatiguerait moins à lui courir derrière." which translates into " if we could keep the ball longer, we would get less tired from chasing".

2)" « C'est infernal, l'air est irrespirable, ça brûle les poumons. C'est impossible de suivre le rythme de nos adversaires qui sont habitués à ce genre de températures », a indiqué le joueur Nicolas Suter." which translates into " it was infernal, the air was unbreathable, the lungs were burning. It was impossible to folow the rythme of our opponents who are used to these temperatures.

3) "Mauvaise préparation

Le Canada avait pourtant anticipé la situation. L'équipe est arrivée en Afrique dès le 27 novembre. Le problème, c'est qu'elle a plutôt mal choisi sa destination pour établir son camp d'entraînement: Marrakech et la douceur de ses 15 degrés." Poor preparation. Having anticipated the situation, the team arived in Africa Nov 27. The problem, it chose the mild temperatures of 15 degrees in Marrakech to set up camp.

4) "In defense of the Canadians, the OC had stated that temeratures would be in the 13-25 degree range"

So to sum up, the four points raised pretty much sum up Canadian Int'l soccer over the past 20 years:

1) Not strong enough on the ball

2) Impossible climate

3) Poor preparation.

4) Opponents ( in this case organizers)not being honnest

quote:Originally posted by loyola

Yess, it was a big waste of money in 1989 and 1997 when we won it all and in 2001 when we lost in the 1/4 finals......

BTW, I'm not sure it's all CSA money, the federal and quebec government help for that kind of event.

Yes, we do have the bragging rights from those memorable events. I remember you could have rode your board blindfolded down McLeod trail here in Calgary with no worries: the city virtually a ghost town - everyone glued to their PC's at home following the games abroad.

Thanks for the rekindling the memory of those great moments in Canadian sport.

But I don't see what people have against this kind of event. Afterall, what kind international tourniess does Canada get to participate in these days where you face this kind of international opposition and that's not just regional? OK, maybe its not the first team that these sides are fielding, but its still a damn good test for Canada to play in these kind of events. Even it is a U20, U23 or similar. And, it would be equally benficial for Canadian soccer as it would be for the Commonwealth games if soccer was ever admitted as an offical sport.

Playing in this kind of tourny against other francophone nations is no less meaningfull than your average friendly involving our MNT that is played when just after being eliminated from WCQ and while others are still involved in WCQ. Besides with this tournament, at least there are medals handed out at the end of the day. What's at stake in the typical MNT game these days? And, with the Canada Cup no longer existant, whats left? Besides, If we are going to be critical about the prestige level of this touraments for Canada, then what are we to say of the old Canada cup? yet, I do not see anyone who happy to see that event gone.

if this is a u20 development team why is Doliscat coaching the team

seems that contnuity is not the norm with whatever the CSA does.

any fly by night product assemble just for the case of showing up

and never to be seen again.

where does this team fit in the CSA pyramid?

is this a post u17 team, a pre u20 or a pre 23 team

looks more likely none of the above.

the logical choice would have been either Stephen Hart or Dale Mitchel as coach to evaluate and work with those players if this team was really assembled to have a look at the 2nd tier of players for 2007 in a competitive environment.

unless of course Doliscat is the u23 coach preparing his squad for the pre Olympic qualifying tournament which is very unlikely.

will we still see the same squad for the panam games coach once again by Doliscat to prepare for the olympic qualifying tournament.

I think it's a development U-18 team for 2007. Doliscat might be the coach because it's the Francophone game, and he is francophone....I think we can live with english players at these games but it look better if your coach can speak french in a press conference.

we need coaches of the highest calibre to our teams at all times

How good of a soccer nation can we develop into

Is certainly more important that how good can we look in a conference room.

Mitchel or Stephan Hart sould have been the main coach simply because they are better soccer coach and are more familiar with the players if most of them comes out of the youth development program.

Francophone Games......maybe it's an exigence from the canadian francophone delegation that we show up with a coach who can at least speak in french.....In my opinion the only players that should play for Canada in that tournament should be able to speak in french but that's my opinion (and if we look at our results this year it would have been much worse with a french speaking restriction...)

And to be fair to Doliscat, it's the second or third time that he's bringing a development team to a tournament like this, I think he's a coach the CSA would like to develop too (from what I've seen, he's knows is soccer pretty well). I think he went to the Dallas Cup erlier this year.

Archived