First Hurdle?

Calgary Boomer

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

If it's true MLSE has been given cotnrol of a publicly owned stadium without putting a god damn nickel towards it, heads need to roll in Ottawa.

Hey Canada: Please, for god sake, stop electing these crooks.

It wouldn't be the first time. I've stated previously that MLSE want control of the stadium more than they want an MLS team. I think an MLS team is just a good way to get 15-20 dates in the stadium.

/not condoning it.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

If it's true MLSE has been given cotnrol of a publicly owned stadium without putting a god damn nickel towards it, heads need to roll in Ottawa.

Hey Canada: Please, for god sake, stop electing these crooks.

All publically owned stadiums are "controlled" by somebody. I think running stadiums would be better left to the private sector, I don't think it should be a priority for our governments. The key is to make sure it's a fair deal.

As for MLSE, they control Ricoh (where the AHL Marlies play), where the city spent something like $50-million the last 2-3 years upgrading it, as well as the new hockey arena in Oshawa where they will just basically manage the place.

It's not that big of a deal. And it's the only way this whole MLS thing makes any sense, meaning the MLS team will lose money, so they probably hope other events at the stadium (concerts, etc.) will make money.

Honestly don't know that we needed another thread on this (and this is coming from a Toronto poster), but all reports (and there have been several now) indicate that MLSE will be putting several million nickels towards the stadium, though I suppose it is very likely that none of them have been damned by God.

MLSE is putting up at least $8 million by all reports. The City of Toronto will own and MLSE will operate. A fairly standard deal, where the City does not have to risk operating losses and MLSE can potentially earn some cash on their investment. Nothing at all bizzare about the deal. One wonders if actually acquiring an MLS franchise is part of the deal...its a pubic document so that info should become available when it goes to council for approval.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

though I suppose it is very likely that none of them have been damned by God.

Dammit G-L, you've been making me laugh a lot these days, first over at BigSoccer with your "We're gonna rock down to Stephen Ademolu" (a chant that must be used if he plays for the national team in Canada) phrase and now this.

Somebody has to manage the facility, better MLSE than more city bureaucrats (or worse still, the CSA). What we don't yet have confirmed is whether or not this goes hand in hand with covering any operating losses. I would think if MLSE is assuming the risk associated with possible operating losses it is not unreasonable that should also be given the right to manage the facility. Let's wait till we have all the facts before jumping to conclusions or condemning decisions based on assumptions or hearsay.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Dammit G-L, you've been making me laugh a lot these days, first over at BigSoccer with your "We're gonna rock down to Stephen Ademolu" (a chant that must be used if he plays for the national team in Canada) phrase and now this.

Thanks, but keep in mind it is a rip-off of a chant that I didn't think up initially (I think one of the Northboys takes credit for that), which we use at Lynx games for Edgar Bartolomeu (even when he's not healthy).

Having said that, we definitely should use it for Stephen. There's also a very cool Alice Cooper song by that name (off the Welcome to my Nightmare album) which we could use for him as well. So the sooner he gets called, the better.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Honestly don't know that we needed another thread on this

No, we don't, especially since the questions in the original post were answered by more than one article already posted in the big thread (not to mention a thread in the MNT section that Jarrek mistakenly started).

Archived