Toronto Star (Sept 6): Stadium tops Lynx wish list

DJT

From The Toronto Star:

Stadium tops Lynx wish list

Better club would help, too, owners say

USL franchise loses its last home game

JENNIFER QUINN

SPORTS REPORTER

An employee approached Bruno Hartrell just before halftime and said the game crew needed cash for the fan giveaway prize.

He reached into his pocket and handed it over.

And as the Toronto Lynx finished their home season with a 2-1 loss to the Minnesota Thunder, Hartrell's year of reaching into his pocket and count out cash to keep his team on the move is nearly over.

The co-owner of Toronto's United Soccer League franchise — along with his wife Nicole — Hartrell is hoping that next season, he'll have partners in the footie business, which he believes will continue to grow.

"The objective," he said, "is not to stay where we are. We can do it. We need help, though. We need a stadium — we need a whole lot of things."

Including, Hartrell admits, a better on-field product.

The Lynx finished with a 3-15-8 record this season, six wins short of their 2004 record, and below what they and coach Hubert Busby Jr. had hoped might be a playoff year.

"What showed is that we're very young, and at times naive," Busby said. "But it's a much improved league — there's no weak sisters. And like in any sport, any organization, you need continuity, cohesiveness, and you need a springboard into next season.

"We're definitely hoping to keep the group together, add some quality experienced players to go with the young guys we had, and just go forward."

It was Busby's first year as head coach of the side, and he'll certainly be back at the helm next season, Nicole Hartrell said.

"He's home-grown talent, and we really have faith in him," she said. "He brought in a lot of new talent, and I think it took them a while to come up with the chemistry, because they didn't start producing until the second half of the season. But the talent is there."

But the fans — at least since the team had to leave Varsity Stadium — haven't been there as frequently or in as many numbers. The Lynx used to draw about 6,000 when they were on Bloor Street; at Centennial Stadium, in Etobicoke, they've been getting average crowds of about 2,200. Attendance this year is about the same as it was last, Hartrell said.

And up in the stands, the very vocal and quite amusing supporters' club are a bit glum.

"I'm finally sitting down, for the first time all year," one member of U-Sector — named for the stand they occupied at Varsity — told his comrades. No one blamed him.

In a stadium that was filled mainly with kids from local soccer associations, U-Sector stood out. It's the children, their parents, and their soccer leagues that are his team's most reliable customers, Bruno Hartrell said.

One of the biggest challenges to attracting new fans is the stadium issue. The Lynx will be back at Centennial next year, but the Hartrells are hoping that one of the myriad stadium proposals floating around comes to fruition.

They are certain that a permanent, more comfortable home would help their team prosper — bring in a stable ticket-buying crowd, and corporate investors — strengthen Canadian soccer, and that a decade away, the Hartrells will be able to say that they knew it all along.

"This is not the goal that we had. It's a success in the sense that we're making steady progress," Nicole Hartrell said. "Is it fast? No. It's not fast enough."

quote:Originally posted by DJT

It was Busby's first year as head coach of the side, and he'll certainly be back at the helm next season, Nicole Hartrell said.

Holy crap. What the heck does it take? No disrespect to St-Hubert at all, but if dead last doesn't get you the boot, what goes? And the owners whine about poor attendance, corporate support, and poor product...

quote:

And up in the stands, the very vocal and quite amusing supporters' club are a bit glum.

"I'm finally sitting down, for the first time all year," one member of U-Sector — named for the stand they occupied at Varsity — told his comrades. No one blamed him.

In a stadium that was filled mainly with kids from local soccer associations, U-Sector stood out.

LOL who was responsible for that quote? Anyone from this Board?

Of course it was one of us. This was the article I mentioned in the Lynx-Minnesota game thread. Too bad that most of our negative comments (making a number of unfavourable comparisons to how things are like in Vancouver & Montreal) weren't included, but as this was the first time Quinn had been out to a game (as far as I know, don't recall her covering them in the past) I guess I'm not too surprised that it wasn't a soccer-savvy rip the ownership apart-type piece. And she thought we were amusing, which, since we are, is all that we can ask for. ;)

The Lynx can't complain about media coverage this year. This article could have easily painted them in a much more negative light. And a reporter who had been to those games at Varsity wouldn't have just accepted that 6000 attendance figure and printed it. They should be thankful.

quote:An employee approached Bruno Hartrell just before halftime and said the game crew needed cash for the fan giveaway prize.

He reached into his pocket and handed it over.

And as the Toronto Lynx finished their home season with a 2-1 loss to the Minnesota Thunder, Hartrell's year of reaching into his pocket and count out cash to keep his team on the move is nearly over.

They make it sound as if this was a sacrifice equivilant to crucifing yourself for all of mankind. He's the owner. His main job is to put his hand in his pocket. Although, when it comes to the Lynx, it doesn't seem like pulling out cash is the reason why.

As for the rest of the article, it's just the same BS as always. "We need help. We need a stadium - we need a whole lot of things." Hmmmm...and whose job is to get those things?

I know, it's the Argos fault. [:o)]

I said I'm finally sitting down. and then some chick with a notepad shows up and says "Who said that" she also said that she heard the stuff we were yelling @ her photographer. I yelled' I like the size of your "bulbs"" She had a interesting chat with us I'm surprised Blair's quotes were not inclouded and like GL said the Montreal/Vancouver comparision. St. Hubert back [8)]the picture could have been a better one i.e the game or the U-sector :) hehe

quote:Originally posted by Elias

They make it sound as if this was a sacrifice equivilant to crucifing yourself for all of mankind. He's the owner. His main job is to put his hand in his pocket. Although, when it comes to the Lynx, it doesn't seem like pulling out cash is the reason why.

It is a noble sacrifice. I've bashed the ownership as much as anyone, but the fact remains that few people would have been willing to keep this team alive as long as the Hartrells have. They've lost money every year, and for their losses they receive grief from the fans, the cold shoulder from the press, and to an extent the middle finger from the CSA. They would be completely justified in just shutting down the operation, but they keep going at their own cost.

So let's see...

They're bringing back the same coach, and essentially keeping the same players.

Wow. Another losing season already.

I feel bad for U-Sector, even though it's nice to wind them up from time to time.

But the fact is the Hartrells have more money than common sense... and they don't have a lot of money as it is.

The Lynx need a complete overhaul, starting with the waterboys, and crawling up through the roster and the front office. Then and only then will the Lynx fans get a team worth watching.

the photo in the paper was credited to Charla Jones.

I wonder if she's related to Frank Jones who wrote one of those 'my family' kind of columns and was married to an East Indian woman?

Nepotism? Hmm. One of the more famous Star photographers now is Richard Lautens, the son of the late Gary Lautens who wrote one of those 'my family' kind of columns.

Wait...I see a pattern here.

Hey good luck getting a date with her.

quote:Originally posted by Marc

Holy crap. What the heck does it take? No disrespect to St-Hubert at all, but if dead last doesn't get you the boot, what goes? And the owners whine about poor attendance, corporate support, and poor product...

I'm asking myself the same question. Another thing I'm asking myself... where is Dick Howard in all of this?

The problem during the Pinnizotto era was the absense of an intermediate between the team and the ownership. Since the Lynx assigned (and still do) the position of GM and Coach to the same person, decisions pertaining to coaching positions were left to the Hartrells and the Hartrells alone. And as we all know, soccer decisions and the Hartrells just don't mix.

It was for this very reason that Peter lasted as long as he did. Nicole just couldn't see the obvious reality starring her right in the face: it was time for a coaching change. Whether it was a matter of ignorance in the area of all things soccer, or whether it was just an unfortunate case of loyalty gone overboard, Nicole's inability to make the change illustrated exactly what was wrong with the Lynx head office set-up. The organization needed a soccer person in-between the team and the ownership; someone who could make these kinds of decisions and properly advise the Hartrells on what to do.

I thought Dick Howard was this person. When he came on, I assumed the days of a five-year coaching reign with few results were over. While I didn't know who Busby was when the Lynx brought him on, I thought that I could at least take comfort in the fact that if things didn't work out, that with Howard advising Nicole, a change would be made and damage would be kept to a minimum. Apparently I was wrong.

Archived