Who is Canadas arch-rival?

way2goeh

I was thinking who IS Canadas arch-rival. Canada doesnt like to play Mexico b/c its almost a sure loss. Canada and the US have rivalries in alot of sports, but I think Canada is nowhere near the level of the Americans in futebol. But looking into the past, Honduras and Canada are pretty even in wins and loss against each other, and tight games. But the overall level, Honduras is way better. Honduras has beaten the americans, Mexico and Brasil (4-2). Honduras has always been known to score lots of goals, but against Canada, it becomes a close game.

I was there when Canada beat Mexico in 2000, and I think its the only win against Mexico in my lifetime [8D]

I think the US is the only team we can have a real rivalry with for now, especially because the fans can communicate and make it escalate and our natural geopolitical disposition. However, as it is, we play them so rarely and are a cut under so it isn't really very animated.

I would say Mexico or Costa Rica. Since the Gold Cup 2000, we've

played Costa Rica four or five times, while with Mexico we've had

more passionate & heated matches (Gold Cup 2000, WCQ 2000,etc.).

As much as we like to badger Americans, we don't really play them

often enough to affirm some rivalry. Historically I guess we do.

And for our Women's NT, for sure.

I agree with Redhat...I mean how many times are we gunna have to play the Costa Ricans.

Games Against Costa Rica in Gold Cup:

1993-Canada 1-1 Costa Rica

2000-Canada 2-2 Costa Rica

2003-Canada 1-0 Costa Rica

2005-Canada ?-? Costa Rica

All Time Record:

2wins-5draws-8losses

Well, since the USA dosen't exactly have a hate on for us these days (ah, remember the sweet 80's. Smug we were. Smug) I'd have to say Costa Rica.

Both sides know full well level one in CONCACAF is Mexico and USA. So that leaves Canada and Costa Rica to slug it out for honourable mentions.

Don't care what the recent record shows. The other CA teams trouble me, or Costa Rica for that matter, very little. Think more people in the know are stunned by Canada's WCQ debacle than not.

But boy oh boy, if we can ever get are **** together the USA is just begging for some bitter rivaly where half their own stadium wouldn't be cheering for the enemy team. And wouldn't we to!

Geography and language really help.

Not going to happen though. They got a professional program down there. Up here we got rec sports association.

I honestly think that of late,, Honduras and Costa Rica are becoming the arch-rivals,, much due in part to the last round of World Cup Qualifying but also these teams aren't much superior to us,, and if we want to grab that 3rd or 4th spot in regional qualifying,, for the most part (not this time) it will usually come down to have to beating one of these guys.. The bogus officiating that cost us some crucial points in the Honduras games adds a bit to that rivalry..

quote:Originally posted by Soccer_Josh

I agree with Redhat...I mean how many times are we gunna have to play the Costa Ricans.

Games Against Costa Rica in Gold Cup:

1993-Canada 1-1 Costa Rica

2000-Canada 2-2 Costa Rica

2003-Canada 1-0 Costa Rica

2005-Canada ?-? Costa Rica

All Time Record:

2wins-5draws-8losses

Get your facts straight, its 3W-5D-6L against Costa Rica (still not good, but not as pathetic as you make it seem.

http://canadasoccer.com/eng/nationals/m_wc/countries.pdf

Archived