Strategy for Italy Match?

beachesl

What strategy, formation and line-up should we adopt against Italy?

-We obviously can't afford to sit back even moderately, IMHO.

What will Mitchell do?

-I think he will basically start the same as against Syria. He will attempt a bare win. I expect that he will semi-bunker after any lead to protect the win.

Mitchell knows they need to score to win this one,, hopefully this game is like night and day from the last one,,, I expect to see Peters and DeJong start and play majority of the game.. And I know I've said it before a few times,, but man could we ever use Uccello partnered up with Wil Johnson as strikers tomorrow,, ya don't think Julian would be jacked to play against Italy?? If not to be used in the first two games we should have had him on the roster for this very game itself...

It's going to be a fun game to watch. Bet on it. Italy (for their own reasons) needs to win too and as mentioned, can't win without scoring. Having seen Syria (but not Italy) I'm going to have to say Italy is having as much of a problem finding the net as Canada. Given that, I'm expecting this to be the most open match played by either team to date.

Peters and de Jong will start. They're fresh. Better to use them up front rather than keep them in reserve as far as I'm concearned.

Kinda hard to switch gears in mid flight, but I think Beachesl's right. Don't expect Mitchell's looking for a 3 goal victory. He's too practical. Win the game, take your 4 points and -1 to zero GD to the table and hope you hold a hand good enough to see through to the next round. Score. Defend. And maybe poach one on a counter to seal the victory.

Think it's going to be an open game. Amazing how brave you can be if you know the other guy dosen't have a knock out punch.

Boy oh boy. Good thing I got called into work tomorrow.

Canada has to go guns'a'blazin' to have a shot to win this game. We need to use the flanks as our main weapons with Peter's and DeJong, and exploit the defensive tactics of the Italians. I think if we go hard for the first 30 mins, while still keeping good defensive shape, we will overun the Italians with our speed game. Obviously we have to make good use of our counter attacks.

Well guys, hate to be the devil's advocate, but I honestly think that "guns blazing" is the wrong strategy here. We need to play to our opponent's tactics, and our own strengths. My preference would be to go with one striker, stack the middle (with speed on the wings in Peters and DeJong), have Edgar play the destroyer role in front of the back four, and sit back playing for the counter, at least for the first half. The Italians will underestimate us, and be thinking of scoring three or more to keep their qualifying chances alive, and they might be vulnerable as they push forward. If the half ends scoreless, then we go all out for the goal. JMHO.

Well guys, hate to be the devil's advocate, but I honestly think that "guns blazing" is the wrong strategy here. We need to play to our opponent's tactics, and our own strengths. My preference would be to go with one striker, stack the middle (with speed on the wings in Peters and DeJong), have Edgar play the destroyer role in front of the back four, and sit back playing for the counter, at least for the first half. The Italians will underestimate us, and be thinking of scoring three or more to keep their qualifying chances alive, and they might be vulnerable as they push forward. If the half ends scoreless, then we go all out for the goal. JMHO.

Archived