1981's have produced some off the best players

Mr. Phipps

There has been recent talk about what year has had the most impact in soccer. Some have said the 77's with names like Salteri, bent aristidemo, Brennan, DiPlacido, De Luca, Dragenic etc. But i beg too differ. I beleive that the 1981's have some talented players that may have flown under the radar. There is Pozniak, Klukowski, DeGuzman, Oppong, Williams, Ali Ngon, Justin Thompson, Jaime Dodds. What are your thoughts.

Absolutely correct!!! It was the 80's where Canada's finest players evolved. This was mainly as a result of the NASL. Once the NASL demised into non-existence, Canada went into a complete drought. Nevertheless, the CSL was proven to develop some excellent talent too. This was very evident when Canada nearly qualified for the 1994 World Cup in the U.S. Furthermore, Canada was situated in an excellent standing order under the FIFA rankings during the early 90's. This is another example how the CSL played an effective role in developing young talent.

To answer the question. Yes, I would agree that the 77's did quite well given that we tend to associate this group with the success that they achieved at the U20 WC in Malaysia by reaching the round of 16. However the 81's who went Argentina didn't do as well collectively. Individually, you may be right by stating that the 81's are stronger than the 77's. The 83's may one day be referred to as the strongest since they did reach the quarter finals at the U20 WC.

I played vs Hume the last year he was here which was when he was 14 I think I played for Mississauga Falcons (Elite Div) that was one level away from provincial. SO that was U15 I belive. Ian was Head and heal over he competition @ that age it was certain he would be something special.

Canada has only produced one real good player of late to play for a big time club Paul Stalteri of Werder Bremen, but now his career has hit the

skids as he has signed for lowly Tottenham Hotspur. He will no doubt be

Canada's last great player for some time to come.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Canada has only produced one real good player of late to play for a big time club Paul Stalteri of Werder Bremen, but now his career has hit the

skids as he has signed for lowly Tottenham Hotspur. He will no doubt be

Canada's last great player for some time to come.

No doubt Julian De Guzman at Deportivo La Coruna doesn't count.

Archived