From the Star, Another article on the Lynx:

I don't ever recall some many media articles on the Lynx in the past .

Lynx fight against the odds

Nicole and Bruno Hartrell have spent a small fortune keeping pro soccer alive in Toronto

But the spectre of an MLS franchise landing here has them feeling betrayed

ALLAN RYAN

SPORTS REPORTER

"It's still the same old story,

A fight for love and glory,

A case of do or die.

The world will always welcome loversAs time goes by."

He was born in Naples in 1950, an Italian mother, a Polish father.

She, both parents Italian, was born a couple of months earlier, on the other coast, in a tiny town called Civita.

He came to Toronto as an infant, grew up in the Spadina/Dundas area, now has his own accounting firm downtown.

Her parents emigrated when she was 7, settled in the Bloor/Ossington area, later Dufferin and Eglinton. After 25 years teaching, she's now retired. But only from teaching.

They met in '74 ("I picked him up at Attila's Cave, a bar on the airport strip," she recalled); married a year later, had a couple of kids and now share a home in the middle of Etobicoke's Thorncliffe Village.

Some 10 years back, an unexpected third party came into their lives. In the beginning, this new relationship was innocent enough, fun even. In time, though, passions took their inevitable hold. Both he and she braced themselves for potential betrayal.

Running a pro soccer team — in Toronto, yet — will sometimes set you up for that.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bruno and Nicole Hartrell, among many other things, are the chief financial and chief operating officers — and, for now, pretty much sole bankrollers — for the Toronto Lynx.

A distant sixth in the hierarchy of Toronto's pro sports franchises (Leafs, Raptors, Jays, Argos, Rock), the Lynx are now seven games into their ninth season in the United Soccer Leagues' First Division, formerly known as the A-League, the highest level of the game in this country.

But change is in the works. For one thing, the Marlies will be reborn here come hockey season. That could well drop the Lynx to seventh.

For another, the Lynx have endured an entire spring's worth of talk — and worry — that the flashier, bigger-budgeted Major League Soccer was on its way to Toronto as the latest endeavour of Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

Last week's demise of the planned 20,000-seat soccer/football stadium at York University may have thwarted those plans, but the MLS scenario, and the aggressive support of it by the Canadian Soccer Association, have the Lynx feeling more than a little hard done by these days.

"How about stabbed in the back?" asked Bruno, meaning by the CSA. "As if soccer was doing so really well in Toronto that we didn't need one team, we needed two."

Yesterday, he admitted to mixed feelings about the situation at York, which would have provided the Lynx with a much-needed, albeit shared, home.

"We're happy that there's no MLS ... but we're not happy there's no stadium at all," said Hartrell, who nonetheless remains certain a new stadium suitable for soccer will one day get built in the GTA.

As for the spectre of the MLS, that may still be hovering over the Lynx's head.

Richard Peddie, president and CEO of Maple Leaf Sports, said yesterday that while the stadium collapse at York was a "curveball," the parrot (an MLS team) ain't dead yet.

"It's only been a couple of days," said Peddie. "It's not good (news), but we're going to keep working at it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The unexpected third party in the Hartrells' relationship was simply the game of soccer itself. For sure, they never saw it coming.

Before the Lynx, Nicole was, at best, a soccer mom, ushering sons Gregory and Daniel to and fro. Bruno played a little recreationally but as a downtown kind of guy and a sports lover in general, soccer was well down his early list.

Decades later, in 1996, one of Bruno's accounting clients was ga-ga for the game and enthused that a USL expansion franchise could be had. As he occasionally does with clients' various initiatives, Bruno bit.

"It was supposed to be six guys, 50 grand a year, lose $300,000 a year for five years and, by then, we might break even," said Bruno. "But then.. ."

Since the Lynx first took the field for 1997, losses to date stand at approximately $4.5 million — $2.5 million the first three years, when Bruno was one of three partners, about $2 million more in the five years since, when there was, basically, only Bruno and Nicole.

"I just thought it would be lots of fun to own a sports team in Toronto," he explained. "My role was simply to be an investor. I kind of liked the job of being an owner, which means I go to the game, sit in the owner's box, then go home. And that's it!

"Fortunately for me, some of my clients have more stable businesses and the money I've put with them makes enough to cover my soccer losses."

The Lynx are more than just the men's pro team, off to an 0-5-2 start after playing their first six on the road.

Under the Lynx umbrella are five boys' and two girls' age-group teams in the USL's massive Super-Y League, plus, new this season, the Lady Lynx, an expansion entry in the USL's 34-team strong W-League, a 3-0 winner in their Sunday inaugural.

"That's the part that kind of bothers me," said Bruno. "The money I'm sinking in to keep this portion alive (the Lynx), I could take somewhere down the system and do a lot better in terms of who could benefit ... in terms of the kids and things like that. That's part of the ambition of the Lynx ... to generate enough funds that we can support something below us that helps the community. That's missing right now. We can't do much, you know, if we can hardly breathe."

To hear the Hartrells tell it, the Lynx and their growing organization can be/have been of some significance to the CSA — along with the Vancouver Whitecaps and Montreal Impact, the A-League's other two Canadian franchises — when they're the only game in town. They feel they become decidedly smaller potatoes, however, when the CSA senses bigger fish in the water. Like an MLS team — or, perhaps, more importantly, the money from Maple Leaf Sports that might back it.

The killer was the CSA announcing — as early as in its 2002 annual report — that the future of pro soccer in Canada, tied to an eventual new stadium, would now include pursuit of an MLS expansion team.

The Lynx? Why, of course, sure they can tag along.

"They're a valued member of the CSA and we've told the Lynx they'd be more than welcome to play in (a new soccer) stadium as well," assured Kevan Pipe, chief operating officer for the CSA. "... There'll be plenty of opportunity for the Lynx to carve out their niche."

Responded Bruno: "They (the CSA) say they're behind us but, at the same time, were trying to plant serious competition in our market.

"If successful, an MLS team would've very definitely put us out of business. ... That's really what this is all about, okay — a total disrespect for the people who have backed the game in Toronto for 10 years."

Dick Howard, a goalkeeper in the long-gone North American Soccer League and a veteran soccer commentator in Canada, agrees that the Lynx have been "virtually ignored" by the CSA.

"A husband and wife team, nine years and millions of dollars trying to make it work, in a substandard facility — it's remarkable what they've achieved, really," says Howard, one-time technical director for the CSA and now a special consultant for the Lynx.

"But it's also like they're small shop-owners and Wal-mart comes along and just takes over the business."

"It's not about business anymore; it's become a crusade," said Bruno.

"... That's why we're not going to abandon it. We think we can make a success and it's just a question of how long. Everybody in soccer for the last 40 years has said that ... soccer's coming, it's coming. Sooner or later somebody's gonna be right.

"The Lynx may be a jinx," added Bruno, laughing, which he does a lot, "because, every time it seems to show some promise, something gets in the way that holds us back. It's like a fickle lover, right? It shows signs ... it gets all hot, then ..."

It's still the same old story.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I don't ever recall some many media articles on the Lynx in the past.

Me neither. And instead of promoting the Lynx (like is there any mention of when their next home game is, or where they play, or anything), they just bitch and complain about MLS, about losing money, about this, about that, and especially about the CSA (they sound like Voyageurs).

They could have so easily taken the high road. Just say some bs like, "Yeah, MLS is also good soccer, but we believe the Lynx are also good" or something. And tell people to come and check out the Lynx and make up their own mind (although maybe that's not a good idea).

Who are they trying to bs with this anti-MLS crap? People in Vancouver and Montreal are not coming to Lynx matches [:P]. They just piss off soccer fans, and even non-soccer fans realize the NHL is better than the AHL, MLB is better than Triple A.

Why don't they just sell them team if they are losing so much money? Or if nobody is buying, just let it go. It's been 10 years now, how long do think it takes for a business to become successful? Yeah I know, the stadium. Right. And if they don't mind losing the money (they can look at it as giving back to soccer, and I'm sure Bruno knows all the accounting tricks), then stop whining.

P.S. It was a very touching article. Two lovers born in war-torn old-world little villages, who cross the big bad ocean, with $12.75 in their pocket (and a suitcase of underwear), who work hard, make some money, have 2.4 kids, then decide to give back to their new adopted homeland....only to be stabbed in the back by the evil natives....yet they struggle on, if not for the community, for the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well apart from the usual theatrics & shenanigans from the Hartrell, the interesting news to come out of this is the MLSE is still interested in MLS. Obviously its still uncertain that it will ever come here, but I'd rather hear that they are still interested than to hear that they no longer have any interest.

The articles are simply reporting the story of mom & pop shop being threatened to be put out of business by the big bad corporations (which is the crap spin they are trying to put on the story). There's no discussion about the team itself, the players or even the team's horrible record - they mentioned that they are seven games into the season, but left out the bit about them being winless in those 7 games.

My god... what the hell did i just read!??

Give this guy a niceing oscar ""It's not about business anymore; it's become a crusade"

Lets forget about giving pope john paul sainthood... lets give good old bruno sainthood BLEHHHHHHHHH

This is the most rediculous thing I have ever heard, This guy gets more pathetic every article i read and it feels like now he has gone from "Come to our games because there fun for all ages" to "Im a chairity case so please help me survive and lets all have pillow fights in the process"

I love this team so much and every season i see the same thing, people who dont care or know how to run a team. They also feel that everyone owes them something because they own a soccer team.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

they mentioned that they are seven games into the season, but left out the bit about them being winless in those 7 games.

Yes it does actually. I am glad you mentioned that because the newspaper version of the article ( which was where I first read it) includes a caption with the team's record, attandance and league standing for every year since 1997. I was hopping it would be included in the online version of the artcle. But it wasn't. Too bad because that was what motivated me to look up this article on the web and post it here.

Look, I have nothing against the Hartrells as people, but they have to understand that they can't block progress. If the Majors, Marlies, Icedogs and Battalion survive in Greater Toronto with the Leafs, surely the Lynx can survive too. I hear they are marketing to kids, MLS is going after a more traditional mature crowd so there shoudn't be a conflict. Hartrell wants the Toronto market for himself even though he doesnt have the skills or werewithal exploit it.Time to let someone elde do it and find another niche for the Lynx. An MLS team won't kill the Lynx if the owners are smart and quickly strike up an alliance with Maple Leaf Sports. Such an alliance could result in a new stadium for the Lynx to share with the pro team as well as possible cross-promotional opportunities with MLSE's marketing muscle behind it. But that would takes some vision and savvy, qualities clearly lacking in Toronto these past 2 weeks.

ps Thank god for the little quote from Peddie. There is still a glimmer of hope for a pro team in this city.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

But that isn't their focus, as allegedly it is for the Hartrells. They just have no vision and savvy to make the Lynx work. But your mind is already made up so I'm wasting time.

All fans in the Toronto area who want pro soccer to work in the city

should boycott the LYNX and the Hartrells and let someone who wants

to make the sport better in this country to do so.

Maybe the Star edited out all the good quotes out to make the Hartrells look bad. Don't they have an agenda too? I suppose that's there last article of the year on the Lynx this year.

The Star never reported that the Impact won the the A-League title when they won last Fall. They didn't even publish a linescore.

Yeah Peddie will bring in an MLS team. Just like Godfrey will bring in an NFL team or just talk about it. Some people don't keep their promises. How long ago did FC Beast promise he wasn't going to write on this board any more? Last week?

The CFL is preventing Godfrey from bringing in the NFL. On the other hand, in soccer the CSA itself wants the MLS team in Toronto, so its only the stadium question that is keeping the MLS out.

Not true. The NFL is preventing Godfrey from bringing in the NFL. The CFL couldn't stop it if the NFL really wanted in. Godfrey's biggest problem is the cost of both a franchise and an 80k stadium.

But that isn't their focus, as allegedly it is for the Hartrells. They just have no vision and savvy to make the Lynx work. But your mind is already made up so I'm wasting time.

Marketing to kids is now becoming the MLS focus since they can't be expected to turn adult sports fans, let alone soccer fans, onto their product when their minds are made up with other teams in the community. Promoting to older kids increases the chances that fans will stay with the brand when they become adults. This is a practice that is been done in aspects of business these days.

As for hockey, the only threat from the teams you mention is St. Mikes. Certainly MLSE is doing what it can to keep the Majors from getting too big. Selling MLG to Loblaws would've been better for MLSE since the builing wouldn't be turned aganst them.

The idea of an MLSE-owned team and the Lynx working together is pure folly thanks to MLSE's take on the sports business: Every fan watching the Lynx is one fan not buying into the MLSE experience.

Looking in from outside, and having made my first visit to a Lynx home game last Sunday, I can't see any way the Lynx can be a successful professional sports team playing in that stadium and with crowds of under 3,000. Surely the sums just don't add up. What the Lynx can be, though, as they appear to be now, are a successful youth soccer club that give Toronto kids access to organised soccer.

An MLS team could I reckon thrive in Toronto - but only if they play in a better stadium nearer downtown and with a much better team than the Lynx are now. The ethnic soccer audience in Toronto - the Italian, Greek, Portuguese, Polish etc communities, whom the MLS would presumably view as their target fans (the fans who will presumably turn out to watch Italy play the Serbs) - aren't going to be fooled. They won't turn out to watch soccer that poor. I reckon an MLS team in Toronto would have to start from scratch, and if that means the Lynx and the Hartrells get left behind then so be it.

The CFL is preventing Godfrey from bringing in the NFL. On the other hand, in soccer the CSA itself wants the MLS team in Toronto, so its only the stadium question that is keeping the MLS out.

The CFL couldn't stop the NFL if it tried. That is a myth that NFL lovers in Toronto seem to believe -- if the CFL dies that means the NFL would be in Toronto the next year. It makes no sense.

The only time I remember any situation that kept football out of Toronto was in the 70's. A group wanted to bring the World Football League (a wannabe rival to the NFL) to Toronto and the Canadian government intervened and stopped it somehow. The team ended up in Memphis, and the whole league imploded in a couple of years.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Rupert

Looking in from outside, and having made my first visit to a Lynx home game last Sunday, I can't see any way the Lynx can be a successful professional sports team playing in that stadium and with crowds of under 3,000. Surely the sums just don't add up. What the Lynx can be, though, as they appear to be now, are a successful youth soccer club that give Toronto kids access to organised soccer.

An MLS team could I reckon thrive in Toronto - but only if they play in a better stadium nearer downtown and with a much better team than the Lynx are now. The ethnic soccer audience in Toronto - the Italian, Greek, Portuguese, Polish etc communities, whom the MLS would presumably view as their target fans (the fans who will presumably turn out to watch Italy play the Serbs) - aren't going to be fooled. They won't turn out to watch soccer that poor. I reckon an MLS team in Toronto would have to start from scratch, and if that means the Lynx and the Hartrells get left behind then so be it.

The only time the LYNX get anywhere near 3,000in attendance is for

their annual school kids day. All you have is kids running all over

the stadium disturbing the real supporters that are there to watch

the match. The Lynx tend to attract 1,000 to 1,500 people to their

matches tops.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Me neither. And instead of promoting the Lynx (like is there any mention of when their next home game is, or where they play, or anything), they just bitch and complain about MLS, about losing money, about this, about that, and especially about the CSA (they sound like Voyageurs).

They could have so easily taken the high road. Just say some bs like, "Yeah, MLS is also good soccer, but we believe the Lynx are also good" or something. And tell people to come and check out the Lynx and make up their own mind (although maybe that's not a good idea).

Who are they trying to bs with this anti-MLS crap? People in Vancouver and Montreal are not coming to Lynx matches [:P]. They just piss off soccer fans, and even non-soccer fans realize the NHL is better than the AHL, MLB is better than Triple A.

Why don't they just sell them team if they are losing so much money? Or if nobody is buying, just let it go. It's been 10 years now, how long do think it takes for a business to become successful? Yeah I know, the stadium. Right. And if they don't mind losing the money (they can look at it as giving back to soccer, and I'm sure Bruno knows all the accounting tricks), then stop whining.

I don't really get their plan with this message. Are they trying to bring fans in using sympathy as a motivating factor? Maybe a well loved, long standing team in the community can tug the heartstrings once in a while when they are desperate, but the Lynx aren't exactly the Saskatchewan Roughriders when it comes to this.

Why not try to spin things as positively as you can? Talk about how this is the best soccer in Canada right now. Mention a couple of players to watch. Even throw in Serioux's name into it -- "We had a guy who went from our team straight into a role with Millwall." And I'm sure badmouthing the CSA publicly doesn't help improve the relationship. When it comes to the MLS stuff, just let it go. It's out of their hands, just do the best you can under the circumstances.

If there is anything worth complaining about, I'd say it's the lack of a decent soccer stadium in the biggest city in Canada. How can there be no 5000-10,000 seat multi-use facility in the metro area? I'd throw it out more as a question than a complaint. To me, it flys in the face of Toronto's goal of being "world class."

And I agree -- if it's that bad, sell or give up. Nobody is forcing them to keep ownership of the club.

Jason

quote:Originally posted by Jason

The CFL couldn't stop the NFL if it tried. That is a myth that NFL lovers in Toronto seem to believe -- if the CFL dies that means the NFL would be in Toronto the next year. It makes no sense.

The only time I remember any situation that kept football out of Toronto was in the 70's. A group wanted to bring the World Football League (a wannabe rival to the NFL) to Toronto and the Canadian government intervened and stopped it somehow. The team ended up in Memphis, and the whole league imploded in a couple of years.

Jason

Yes. Johnny Bassett was going to start the Toronto Northmen of the WFL but when that acouldn't happen, he moved the team to Memphis as the Southmen.

.. and your right about the myth of the CFL stopping the NFL from coming here. If the NFL truly wanted to be here, they would be here by now.

db

Archived