Canada to play Honduras in Vancouver

Jarrek

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, May 11, 2005

CANADA TO HOST HONDURAS JULY 2

International Friendly To Be Played at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, BC

Vancouver, BC – The Canadian Soccer Association, British Columbia Soccer Association and Vancouver Whitecaps FC today announced that Canada’s Men’s World Cup Team will play an international friendly against Honduras on Saturday, July 2 at Swangard Stadium. The game will kick-off at 7:00 p.m.

The three organizations are jointly hosting the game which will be part of the International Pacific Soccer Series. The Vancouver Whitecaps will play Sunderland (recently promoted to the Premiership) on July 16 at Swangard at 7:00 p.m. as part of the series. Sunderland will also play the BC All-Stars on Thursday, July 14 at Royal Athletic Park in Victoria at 7:30 p.m.

“I am delighted to have this game as part of our preparation for the Gold Cup,” said Canadian head coach Frank Yallop. “With us playing our first two games in Seattle it made perfect sense for us to play in Vancouver and we wanted to play a CONCACAF team. It’s great to see the three organizations coming together to put on a game of this calibre and to help promote international soccer in the area.”

“On behalf of the BCSA and our membership we are thrilled to be involved in this game,” said BCSA President Victor Montagliani. “The International Pacific Soccer Series is a great example of what can be accomplished when we put the good of the game in Canada to the forefront. We are determined to continue to promote and market our game and this is just another positive step in showcasing the sport of soccer in our province.”

“The Whitecaps are thrilled to be involved in this exciting international friendly,” said Whitecaps Director of Soccer Operations Bob Lenarduzzi. “In the last couple of years we have built a strong customer base, and we are delighted that we are now able to bring them top international soccer matches in addition to our clubs games.”

Ticket prices are $29.00 for Grandstand seating; $19.00 for seats in the East Bleachers and $15.00 for seating in the North Bleachers.

Tickets will be available through all Ticketmaster Ticket Centres, online at www.ticketmaster.ca, and charge by phone at 604-280-4400.

Tickets will go on sale to Whitecaps ticket holders, and BC Soccer members as of Saturday, May 14 at noon. Tickets will be available to the general public as of Saturday, May 21 at 10:00 a.m.

Tickets for groups of 20 or more are available through the Vancouver Whitecaps office at 604-669-WAVE (9283) as of Monday, May 16.

The Canadian team will hold a training camp in Vancouver beginning Monday, June 27 before leaving for Seattle on July 3. Canada will play Costa Rica in their opening game of the Gold Cup on Thursday, July 7 in Seattle’s Qwest Field at 5:30 p.m. PT. Canada will then play the United States on Saturday, July 9 at 1:30 p.m. PT. For Gold Cup tickets, packages and groups call 1-206-381-8057 and for Ticketmaster call 1-206-628-0888

This is what the press conference, involving the CSA, the BCSA and the Whitecaps was about, now a new stadium as some speculated in another thread. This is really a CSA item, and has nothing to do with the Whitecaps. Some people were thinking the press conference was really big news because the BCSA and the Caps were said to be involved.

This is what the press conference, involving the CSA, the BCSA and the Whitecaps was about, now a new stadium as some speculated in another thread. This is really a CSA item, and has nothing to do with the Whitecaps. Some people were thinking the press conference was really big news because the BCSA and the Caps were said to be involved.

Wow, that was anticlimatic, eh?

Okay, nonetheless, we have a game on July 2 in Burnaby. The big question: How many Voyageurs plan on attending? Should we organize a bunch of guys--like JohnnieMonster et al--to lead our Canadian fans in song and chant? To be honest, what we really need is a dozen or so guys willing to lead the "Quiet Canadians" in song and chant. The Voyageurs and Southsiders will do their thing, no question. But the rest of the sit-on-your-hands, dumb as a doornail fans need to be roused. (Not aroused, though that might not be so bad either).

July 2 will be a gorgeous day--a great day for a game at Swangard. So, who will be there?

Canadian soccer team will use friendly against Honduras for Gold Cup tuneup

VANCOUVER (CP) - Coach Frank Yallop is looking forward to a July 2 soccer friendly against Honduras as a tune-up for the upcoming Gold Cup, but some history between the sides will offer a little extra motivation for the men's national team.

The match at Swangard Stadium in Burnaby, B.C., will be Canada's final game before opening the Gold Cup July 7 against Costa Rica in Seattle. "I take this game very seriously," Yallop said Wednesday. "This is the last chance we have to get our team together, prepared and ready to play against Costa Rica. It's a big game for us."

Canada, currently ranked 84th in the world, has some bitter memories of a pair of 1-1 draws against No. 51 Honduras during last summer's failed attempt at qualifying for next year's World Cup in Germany.

Some questionable referee calls cost Canada goals in both games and allowed Honduras to score on a penalty kick.

Andy Sharpe, president of the Canadian Soccer Association, was so incensed at the time he called the referees "the most incompetent officials" he'd ever seen.

Yallop says he won't let his side forget.

"I'll mention it before the game to get our guys going a little bit," he said with a chuckle. "We tied twice against them but we played very well. I'm looking forward to seeing our guys continue that good play. We were a little bit unlucky in both game but that's soccer."

Yallop sees this summer as the first step toward trying to qualify for the 2010 World Cup.

"At this point we're still in a rebuilding mode in the Canadian game," he said. "We are just trying to get more confidence in our players. I think this game is great for us."

The July 6-24 Gold Cup is the championship for CONCACAF, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

After Costa Rica, Canada faces the U.S. July 9. Both games will be played at Seattle's QWest Field.

The Canadians wrap up the preliminary round July 12 against Cuba at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro.

Yallop will open a June 27 training camp in Vancouver. Getting the team fit and ready will be a challenge.

Players like Tomasz Radzinski and Paul Stalteri have been idle for several weeks following the conclusion of their seasons overseas. That mean's players from North American leagues may have a leg up.

"I'll look at the fitness of a lot of the players," Yallop said about selecting his side. "It will be very tough to ask them to come back straight into this without training. At this point the guys from Scandinavia, the guys playing in Canada and the United States, will be mainly the players involved. There will be a sprinkling of guys that are out of season, but not too many so we're not too out of shape."

The men's program has seen its confidence dive and changes in the coaching rank since Canada shocked the soccer world by winning the 2000 Gold Cup.

Yallop hopes to begin the journey back to respectability by taking a relaxed attitude into this year's tournament.

"I want our guys to play free, to perform well and the wins will come in the end," he said. "I'm not trying to put too much emphasis on we've got to win this tournament to get us back on the map. If we get the results then great, we can start to build up momentum. I'm looking forward to us playing well in this tournament and seeing how far we can get."

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Wow, that was anticlimatic, eh?

Okay, nonetheless, we have a game on July 2 in Burnaby. The big question: How many Voyageurs plan on attending? Should we organize a bunch of guys--like JohnnieMonster et al--to lead our Canadian fans in song and chant? To be honest, what we really need is a dozen or so guys willing to lead the "Quiet Canadians" in song and chant. The Voyageurs and Southsiders will do their thing, no question. But the rest of the sit-on-your-hands, dumb as a doornail fans need to be roused. (Not aroused, though that might not be so bad either).

July 2 will be a gorgeous day--a great day for a game at Swangard. So, who will be there?

Nice to see the CSA finally getting some pre tournament action for the team. But the ticket prices are so low, how are they ever

going to fund the national team with fees like that. With minimum

seating at Swangard, and having to pay the Hondurans a small cut,

the CSA needs to be bringing funds in,not just scraping by.

quote:Originally posted by FC Beast

Nice to see the CSA finally getting some pre tournament action for the team. But the ticket prices are so low, how are they ever

going to fund the national team with fees like that. With minimum

seating at Swangard, and having to pay the Hondurans a small cut,

the CSA needs to be bringing funds in,not just scraping by.

you complain about the csa being cheap and dumb for not having friendlies at home and now that they do you say the tickets are too cheap?! Lets face it.,..we wont have anyone therte if the tix are high in cost. The ticets are a good pricve if u ask me....get a sell out and get some public intrest in the nats, thats what we need and i hope that this game will help this.......now if only sportsnet would show it live....

quote:Originally posted by marcl_19

you complain about the csa being cheap and dumb for not having friendlies at home and now that they do you say the tickets are too cheap?! Lets face it.,..we wont have anyone therte if the tix are high in cost. The ticets are a good pricve if u ask me....get a sell out and get some public intrest in the nats, thats what we need and i hope that this game will help this.......now if only sportsnet would show it live....

With a 7pm wast coast start, it's unlikely to be shown live in the east, A jays game will no doubt be on at that time or just finishing.

Of course you wouldhave people there if the CSA raised the tik prices just a wee bit. I was reading other people on this site blaming the

Federal Government for not funding the national team properly, well this may come as a shock, but it's not their job to finance sports

teams, they must pay their own way. instead of $29,$19,& $15, why

not go $35, $20, & $18.00, that way it brings in a bit more money,

and leaves ustaxpayers off the hook for a while.

You know what, The Beast has a good point. In fact, I ran the numbers and this is what I found:

$35 is indeed higher than $29

$20 is indeed higher than $19 (a full dollar, even)

$18.00 is indeed higher than $15

Maybe we've sort of underestimated the entrepreneurial chutzpah of The Beast, not to mention the political. I mean, if we let the CSA and Yallop have their way, they'd take even more of our tax dollars for their stupid ideas, like building soccer programs and hosting soccer games that none of us want to see. I mean, why should the tax payers have to come up with the cash all the time. They should save their tax dollars so they can spend them on overpriced soccer games. This way the tax payer doesn't have to waste any money.

Hey Beast, it is like the whole Health Care issue: either we pay through our taxes or we pay out of pocket. In the end, WE are the ones who pay. The only difference is who GETS the money we pay. Where does it end up?

I say we vote The Beast as our official Voyageur CEO.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

You know what, The Beast has a good point. In fact, I ran the numbers and this is what I found:

$35 is indeed higher than $29

$20 is indeed higher than $19 (a full dollar, even)

$18.00 is indeed higher than $15

Maybe we've sort of underestimated the entrepreneurial chutzpah of The Beast, not to mention the political. I mean, if we let the CSA and Yallop have their way, they'd take even more of our tax dollars for their stupid ideas, like building soccer programs and hosting soccer games that none of us want to see. I mean, why should the tax payers have to come up with the cash all the time. They should save their tax dollars so they can spend them on overpriced soccer games. This way the tax payer doesn't have to waste any money.

Hey Beast, it is like the whole Health Care issue: either we pay through our taxes or we pay out of pocket. In the end, WE are the ones who pay. The only difference is who GETS the money we pay. Where does it end up?

I say we vote The Beast as our official Voyageur CEO.

I accept your offer.... Health care is more important then soccer,

(did i say that) don't you think? The Fed's stayed out when Winnipeg,

and Quebec City lost their NHL teams, or would you want them to bail out them as well as the Flames,Oilers,Canucks and Senators. Ths CSA

has got to raise their own spending cash like they did with the

Marching to Mexico campaign back in 1986 to which i paid into, thats

they way should raise capital.

Lenarduzzi was on the radio saying that having friendlies in Canada means almost always losing money.

I hate to say it guys but I don't think this game will sell out even with the combined efforts of the CSA,BCSA,and the Whitecaps.Having all parties involved assures that one of them do not lose a large sum.

I hope I'm wrong but both teams are warming up for the Gold Cup and not the World Cup.Hard to get anyone out other than the hardcores.

The Southsiders should all be there although the beer garden and the Southside will be closed.

Higher ticket prices for this?Yeah,really brilliant idea Beast.It's amazing how much value you put on a friendly that means very little.Don't quit your day job.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Lenarduzzi was on the radio saying that having friendlies in Canada means almost always losing money.

I hate to say it guys but I don't think this game will sell out even with the combined efforts of the CSA,BCSA,and the Whitecaps.Having all parties involved assures that one of them do not lose a large sum.

I hope I'm wrong but both teams are warming up for the Gold Cup and not the World Cup.Hard to get anyone out other than the hardcores.

The Southsiders should all be there although the beer garden and the Southside will be closed.

Higher ticket prices for this?Yeah,really brilliant idea Beast.It's amazing how much value you put on a friendly that means very little.Don't quit your day job.

Who say's this friendly doen't mean anything? Canada loses and it's struggles continue, A win might be the start of a streak leading up to the Gold Cup, it means a lot. If friendlies lose money in Canada, then just stop playing them, a business has to make money or it is soon out of business,agreed?

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

I hope the game doesn't lose money. The BCSA lost lots of money hosting the Millwall Hearts games last year. I don't want to see a repeat of that fiasco.

I didn't say the game doesn't mean anything but it really isn't that big of a draw considering that they are out of World Cup contention.I hope it sells out but look at the turnout for the last Costa Rica game when they still had a mathematical chance to qualify.

I guess we should be happy that we get a home friendly after all these years.The game will be important from developement point of view but the sad truth is the CSA will not make money unless the game is played in front of larger crowds in bigger stadiums against higher profile opposition.That alone will keep the CSA from scheduling more home friendlies in the future.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

I hope the game doesn't lose money. The BCSA lost lots of money hosting the Millwall Hearts games last year. I don't want to see a repeat of that fiasco.

But Milwall and Hearts are not the biggest draw the CSA could get,

heck Milwall and Hearts are poor draws for their own fans. Why not

have a game between the whitecaps and the national team? That should

get a good crowd out there?

I read in The Province that Yallop consider this to be a very important game for the team in preparation for the GC. I must agree with him, specially that there are not any other games to choose from. So we should be seeing what his line-up and tactics will likely be for some time to come. I hope that Yallop has learned from his past choices of players and kept his eyes open during the last couple of games in Europe.

Archived