Canadians abroad: April 15-21, 2005

DJT

One goal and one assist from Atiba Hutchinson as Helsingborg defeated Gefle away 2-1. Great performance from Atiba. His first Allsvenskan goal for Helsingborg, if I'm not mistaken. Most probably a highlights clip will surface here within short. Look for a video camera icon.

quote:Originally posted by Dandal

One goal and one assist from Atiba Hutchinson as Helsingborg defeated Gefle away 2-1. Great performance from Atiba. His first Allsvenskan goal for Helsingborg, if I'm not mistaken. Most probably a highlights clip will surface here within short. Look for a video camera icon.

Yes, they have the highlites posted. Great goal by Hutch, and a great pass on the second goal (which was well taken). This is a great start for Hutch. I wasn't sure where he was playing in the midfield. Dandal, any idea? Anyhow, he's a playmaker and I'd love to see he and DeGuz pair-up in our midfield, with Brennan on one flank and Stalteri on the other. Problem, however, is that we need to shore up our defense, and I think that larry must play at right back.

After so much news about our so many of our guys not starting for their clubs, it is a relief to see Hutch and OO in action. I hope to see both of these guys playing in better leagues in a year or two.

Hutchinson is one of two defensive midfielders in Helsingborg's maybe somewhat unorthodox 4-2-3-1. He is the more offensive minded one of these, but his main job is to win back the ball in the midfield and get the attacks started.

quote:Originally posted by Dandal

Hutchinson is one of two defensive midfielders in Helsingborg's maybe somewhat unorthodox 4-2-3-1. He is the more offensive minded one of these, but his main job is to win back the ball in the midfield and get the attacks started.

Thanks for this. Appears as though he's having some good success getting the attack going, scoring 1 and setting up another 2 over the last couple of matches.

Mike Klukowski entered the game as in the 82nd minute for Club Brugge who were 1-0 winners at home to Lierse in the Beker van Belgie semifinal (Belgian Cup).

Edit: Just wanted to point out that, the way it looks now, Klukowski will be involved in Champions League next season (and probably will be the only Canadian who can make that claim).

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Thanks for this. Appears as though he's having some good success getting the attack going, scoring 1 and setting up another 2 over the last couple of matches.

If this is his regular role at club level, then he should be in this position with the national team and let Stalteri play right back.

quote:Originally posted by canso

Dats what i been tryin to tell yous guys!

I'm with you, man. I'd assumed that Yallop was using Hutch at right back only because Stalteri had been suspended during WCQ.

So, if we stuck Hutch and DeGuzman in the middle of the mid, who do we stick on their flanks? Mind you, I like Grande in the middle, too. Here's an idea, ripping Mitchell off a little:

Sutton

Stalteri Nsaliwa Reda Kluka

Bernier Hutch Grande DeGuzman Brennan

Hume

---------

Maybe sub Peters for Bernier, Occean for Hume

Yeah, ok, the Cup. We don't take it that seriously, even if there is a UEFA Cup qualification spot at the end of it. This was the round where the premier and 1st division teams came in, they all play away matches against a winner from the last round, 2nd and 3rd division sides mostly. Standard procedure is to bench a lot of starters and let your reserves and youngsters get some match experience. This can of course be a dangerous recipe (like the Man United vs was it Exeter match in the FA Cup this winter). There have been several upsets over the years.

Helsingborg had 5 starters on the bench, but not Atiba. He played the full 120 as it finally became. Haven't seen any good match reports, but Helsingborg must have sucked royaly, and I think it's fair to believe their attitude wasn't the best. They also lost their temper and got a man sent off. A sort of forget it and move on match.

The 1st division sides Boden (Stamatopoulos played whole match), Trelleborg (Ademolu subbed in late) and Öster (Hughes still in rehab) all applied the same tactics as Helsingborg, but with better result. They all won their cup matches.

Archived