Canadians on Inside Soccer

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Can someone summarize the interviews for us non-technical guys who cannot get the Media Player to work.

What version of Windows are you using? What version of Windows Media Player?

Summary

Pre-interview - Brian Quinn stated that the Kevin Keegan (Manchester City) firing was due to his wanting to sign Dwayne DeRosario who was terrific in tryouts but the board didn't know who he was and Keegan felt undermined.

Dale

Said Sigi Schmid of the US was unhappy with U20 draw. You can't equate senior level with junior level, don't overestimate Italy and underestimate Syria. Everybody's good. Columbia U20s beat Argentina and Brazil. Says 2 or 3 groups tougher than Canada's. Once you go (WYC) you want to get back. Motivate new guys by results of last group, why should this group be different.

Preparation important. Will be able to get guys together, going to Germany in April, play an Asian opponent as a gauge for Syria, come home for 7 or 8 days and then go to US or Central America and play South American or Concacaf opponent similar to Columbia, break for 7 or 8 days and finalise in France close to Tilburg NL. Five teams will be in Lille, France and play some exhibitions against them. Figures preparation is as good as anybody else will get.

Can take 21 players, 18 + 3 keepers. First opportunity goes to 18 who went to qualifying and pick up another two or three. If they're not in form will look at strengthening squad. Program has been going since U15. Kids are changing, have to remember that they can look good and 3 or 4 months later look not so good.

At camps they talk about fitness, nutrition, tend to leave them alone with their clubs to try and establish themselves at a critical time for the players. About 10 Euro based players on U20 team. Euro clubs can fool you, sometimes they bring in Euro kids who don't look any better or as good as kids we've got in Canada playing with the local clubs. Happy when they are with a big club as there are usually no concerns. Concerned about college players right now with a limited season and how much they can do but there are only about 3 or 4 players and they are in training centres until April.

Only do one test. Usually give them a speed test which will show fitness level and give them a score to shoot for. Quinn says to test them in French. Dale says a few Montreal players would fail French.

Quinn says Dale was a pure soccer player and sometimes you go into places where you have to read the environment and adapt to it, says Dale seems to be able to do this.

UK FA is now studying how USA looks at youth soccer.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

April 9, 2005

Bjorn Osieck Executive Director Saskatchewan Soccer Association

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=14149

Wow, I clicked on Segment 4 and actually got Segment 4. Wasn't the kind of interview to put into point form. The hosts (Halliday/Hammond) wasted the first few minutes with the stereotypical igloo jokes ironic considering it was 25 in Sask last week. (Stay with it as the interview gets better). When the tomfoolery was over we discovered a few things.

First Lil' Holger has got quite a good head on his shoulders. This is an impressive young man. Also has a good sense of humour and seems to know Sask well considering the few years he's been there. He seems to understand the big picture.

He mentioned Andy Sharpe (the Saskatoon Firefighter) would be retiring in a few months probably back to Saskatoon. Not sure if he meant retiring from the CSA or firefighting.

If you want to hear someone with a vision and a goal for soccer in Canada (starting provincially) this interview is well worth listening to. Leaves a good feeling for the future with what he is doing in Sask and hopefully nationally.

Bjorn Osieck would seem to be someone to keep your eyes on.

I agree 100% that he is someone to keep an eye on. You forgot to add that he is patient / unflappable. I would have called the hosts some nasty names and hung up at about the 5th Saskatchewan joke.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Do Bjorn a favour and read the Saskatchewan Soccer Summit article then make comments on the whole concept, share your ideas etc. etc. He is checking out the site and wants your comments!

Just some comments on the posts. I agree, Ed, the Sask quips were kinda stale and carried far too long. It surprised me because usually Halliday is above that. So if you're reading Doc, less lame jokes, more interview time.

Also Doc, how about an interview comparing Canadians to Americans abroad? I believe you have said there were more Canadians abroad. It would be interesting to see the MLS vs European models for both Can and US players.

As for making any comments to Osieck. I think there are few here who can add to that guy's vision. Impressive dude.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Do Bjorn a favour and read the Saskatchewan Soccer Summit article then make comments on the whole concept, share your ideas etc. etc. He is checking out the site and wants your comments!

I'll try to find some time this weekend. Thx for the heads up. The Summit papers are here:

http://www.itsportnet.com/leagues/6087/documents/AGMsummit.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

April 23, 2005

Elaine Sun GoBigRed

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=14527

Just a small note of my own. Elaine is easily the most dedicated and loyal soccer fan (male or female) in Canada. She puts the rest of us to shame. Something for the rest of us to aspire to.

Derek Possee Coach in BC

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=14534

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=14535

Starts talking about Canadian soccer at 15:00 in first segment

Full list at

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6237&whichpage=1

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

April 9, 2005

Bjorn Osieck Executive Director Saskatchewan Soccer Association

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=14149

Wow, I clicked on Segment 4 and actually got Segment 4. Wasn't the kind of interview to put into point form. The hosts (Halliday/Hammond) wasted the first few minutes with the stereotypical igloo jokes ironic considering it was 25 in Sask last week. (Stay with it as the interview gets better). When the tomfoolery was over we discovered a few things.

First Lil' Holger has got quite a good head on his shoulders. This is an impressive young man. Also has a good sense of humour and seems to know Sask well considering the few years he's been there. He seems to understand the big picture.

He mentioned Andy Sharpe (the Saskatoon Firefighter) would be retiring in a few months probably back to Saskatoon. Not sure if he meant retiring from the CSA or firefighting.

If you want to hear someone with a vision and a goal for soccer in Canada (starting provincially) this interview is well worth listening to. Leaves a good feeling for the future with what he is doing in Sask and hopefully nationally.

Bjorn Osieck would seem to be someone to keep your eyes on.

Andy Sharpe is retiring as fire chief for Port Moody near Vancouver. He expects to move back to Saskatoon to enjoy his retirement and was not long ago re-elected for a second two year term as president of the CSA.

Bjorn Osiek is a good lad, knew him quite well when he was an exchange student in West Vancouver at highschool with my youngest son a few years ago. He spent time at my home.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

Sure, that's one man's opinion. Doesn't detract from her laudable dedication and enthusiasm.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to say otherwise. I think most people feel the same way, hence the [:0] in reaction to the piece. But I get Chris (he has let the Voyageurs have it, too, both in his paper and on our forums). And I do agree with some of the things he said about the GBR forum itself.

Sure, that's one man's opinion. Doesn't detract from her laudable dedication and enthusiasm.

Oh yes, I didn't mean to say otherwise. I think most people feel the same way, hence the [:0] in reaction to the piece. But I get Chris (he has let the Voyageurs have it, too, both in his paper and on our forums). And I do agree with some of the things he said about the GBR forum itself.

quote:Oh yes, I didn't mean to say otherwise. I think most people feel the same way, hence the [:0] in reaction to the piece. But I get Chris (he has let the Voyageurs have it, too, both in his paper and on our forums). And I do agree with some of the things he said about the GBR forum itself.

I didn't see this editorial but from what you're inferring I can make a guess (right or wrong).

Rant on. What I am thinking is that the author has the usual chauvinistic statements about women's soccer so prevalent on these forums. Is it that there are comments like "You go girl" from 10 year olds. So what, it's building a fan base.

WFP has its constituency (looks like 18-35 male) and I find its kid giving the finger logo pretty crass. It's cute until your kid or the kid standing next to yours does it. But I'm not the audience they're targeting. So they can do what they like, obviously they're not trying to be mainstream.

From the way I've been writing I sound like one of those feminazis and I'm actually anything but, but if some people here could see the insulting way they speak of women's soccer...

Was the editorial claiming that Elaine was more of a cheerleader than journalist? I doubt if she would claim otherwise. Listen to her Inside soccer interview. She is articulate and knowledegable, that's better than 95% of the posters to soccer forums. You 5% know who you are. :)

Ok, now tell me I was totally off the track and I'll respond with another rant about what the editorial actually said.

The article ridiculed Elaine rather severely for imposing strict rules of decorum for her Big Red internet soccer forum including accusations of censorship. Strikes me the editorial author might do well applying some rules of decorum to his own forum ;)

The article ridiculed Elaine rather severely for imposing strict rules of decorum for her Big Red internet soccer forum including accusations of censorship. Strikes me the editorial author might do well applying some rules of decorum to his own forum ;)

Well, my rant wasn't even close. Sounds like her site bans everybody as this site bans nobody. I guess you have to strike a balance. But it's her site, if you don't like it leave. I've taken a few breaks from here when the negativity gets too much. That's our choice to make.

Hi guys,

Just poking my head into this thread and saw the discussion going on about ... eeer me and GBR. To stick up for myself, I will just say this: the rules and guidelines at the boards were posted about a month ago as there were some serious issues with a certain few individuals who were posting questionable topics/post in the off-topic threads. I posted the rules so that I (and my fellow mod) had a clear position so that we could deal with those posts.

Have never run into any issues thus far in terms of posts soccer related, and I guess you can read the rules however you want. Call it censorship if you wish, but I would hope and think that fans of Canadian women's soccer feel as though it's an open forum. If not, then, I guess, there's nothing I can do to change that.

And, also thanks for the kind words about the interview and for what I do in general. I love what I do, and sharing my passion for Canadian women's soccer with fans online, and while although I get tons of negativitiy and hate emails over the years, the positives do out weigh everything and regardless of what people's opinions are in terms of Go Big Red!! and perhaps my blatant bias, I will keep trucking along!

The article was basically saying the 'rules of decorum' (as posted below) were a little heavy handed in favour of the cheerleaders. You be the judge; I think rules 3 and 11 bear the most scrutiny. Presumably, I would be unable to post "Frank Yallop is unfit to coach my U10 team" or "The clowns at the CSA could not organize a piss up at a brewery". How they would handle "Perhaps the Mister should choose his personnel more carefully" is unclear.

Here are the forum rules (enclosed in quotes):

"Go Big Red!! Board Rules and Guidelines

1) Keep your posts civil, tasteful, relevant, and stay on-topic. Before starting a new thread, go back and check to see if someone hasn’t already started a similar thread. If no one has, go ahead and start a new one. It is common courtesy and proper etiquette to read threads before posting. Posts that regurgitate the same content and show no knowledge of the discussion going on in the thread will be edited and/or removed.

2) No flaming of members – either in the message board OR via PMs. Unlawful, harassing, defamatory, abusive, threatening, harmful, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, racially offensive, or otherwise objectionable material is not acceptable and will get you banned pronto. Treat others as you’d like to be treated, simple as that.

3) You may be critical in your opinions on certain issues/discussions, but please note that there is a difference between being objectively critical and downright hurtful and spiteful. Expressing your opinions in a proper and appropriate manner is key, as any attacks on players, coaches, posters and the likes (regardless of how well founded your POV is) will not be tolerated.

4) Do not spam the forums. Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this board.

5) No bumping of threads or "Me too"-type posts either. No one-liners that apparently have no substance - if you're going to post something, post something that someone wants to read and contributes to the thread and discussion.

6) Posts that convey any inappropriate subliminal messages and interpretations (even done for "fun" and/or with "humour") will be removed without warning as the demographics of these boards cover a wide range of ages.

7) Please don’t hotlink from websites on the boards if the domain does not belong to you. It is just proper Internet courtesy to not steal other's bandwidth without consent. Instead, just add a link to the pictures/website so others can go and see what you want to share or use an image hosting service like Photobucket. There are exceptions to this rule ie. pictures from news sites (Yahoo etc.) are permitted to be hotlinked since they come from high volume sites.

8) Multiple accounts (sock puppets) are not allowed. If we catch a member posting with multiple accounts, the member's account(s) will be suspended and/or banned. Member's usernames must follow the general rules of the boards - no profanity, obscene language, or personal attacks are allowed in usernames. Banning of sock puppets can be done without prior notice and can be identified through a myriad of administrative tools at our disposal. We are very aware of quite a few sock puppets that are actively posting on the boards currently.

9) Impersonating someone else is unacceptable, so don’t do it. Any Team Canada player that actively participates at the boards will be confirmed and clearly identified.

10) We reserve the right to remove or lock a post/thread deemed inappropriate or offensive. If a post is considered inappropriate the poster will be notified. If the poster continues to post inappropriately - disregarding warnings - administration reserves the right to ban the poster from the board.

11) Lastly, the site admins/mods of this board have the final say about everything here. Although everyone is entitled to their own opinions, there is no Freedom of Speech guarantee on this board. The likelihood of administration/moderators stepping in and resorting to this action is very unlikely as long as the above rules are followed.

That's it. We aren't trying to be tyrants here. We just ask for some common board etiquette (similarly practiced on other message boards) so that every member visiting our board will enjoy themselves here.

[ March 25, 2005, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Elaine ]"

After reading the editorial, I prombtly send in a letter noting the irony that the editorial in the previous edition was taking the voyageurs to task for the negative statements being made about the MNT. I found it more amusing than anything that these two should appear back to back. I like the acerbic and opinionated style WFP chooses. Its makes for a great read, even when it is utter nonsense.

I wouldn't worry about it Elaine, criticism goes with the turf and at the end of the day it is your site to do with as you see fit. I browse it fairly often and appreciate that it exists.

quote:And, also thanks for the kind words about the interview and for what I do in general. I love what I do, and sharing my passion for Canadian women's soccer with fans online, and while although I get tons of negativitiy and hate emails over the years, the positives do out weigh everything and regardless of what people's opinions are in terms of Go Big Red!! and perhaps my blatant bias, I will keep trucking along!

I'd be interested to know what kind of hate mail and negativity you get, and I don't mean or want specifics. Probably many here know of my rants against negativity (I admit I'm a hypocrite and that's my agenda). I have no problem with people saying Kevin Pipe is an idiot, but if you're going to do so, a rational explanation should be in order. I just get tired of the constant CSA, Kevin Pipe, Player X, sux posts. Whether they do or not at least post something substantive. The way some people have a specific negativity agenda makes me wonder if they aren't campaigns to get a CSA job. :)

The negative dudes always respond with the same crap. (free speech etc) They never explain their one line of garbage.

The name of the site is Canadian Soccer Supporters not Detractors. I know there are many trolls but there are also the rare few guys who can constructively criticize. With them I have no problem, I may not agree but you're making the point you believe in and offer some evidence.

But why do the rest feel the need to tear something down? Simple logic will tell you that we are going to get better. Listen to the Derek Possee interview and he will tell you that its only been in the last few years that there has been dramatic improvement. And that's long after many of us were posting at Net54.

There probably aren't too many here who remember when Paul Stalteri was the whipping boy and the devil incarnate. Same goes for the needless Watson whipping. At the end of the day there were posters who were honest enough to say he wasn't all that bad in qualifying even though most were ready to jump all over him. Some of the stuff can be pretty personal. It's your right to post but it's pretty classless nonetheless.

I'm sure I'll be accused of not wanting criticism but anyone who knows my posts over the years knows I just want some substance. If yer gonna act like a 13 year old then I'm gonna go after ya because, like you, I'm bored with nothing better to do. :)

Bang, bang

TGJM

April 30, 2005

Andy Sharp President Canadian Soccer Association

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=14702

Save your valuable time gentle readers; total waste of bandwidth. Nothing new here. Brian and Brian please, please, please stop with the bad Partick Thistle and Newfoundland schtick. It's not funny and a total waste of interview time. You guys are knowledgeable enough about the Canadian scene to ask the right questions, please do it.

Full guest list at

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6237&whichpage=1

Archived