Canadians on Inside Soccer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My God I'm almost honoured that this forum mentioned World Football Pages. It happens so rarely I have no idea how to feel about it :-) Though I did notice that way back at the thread's beginning, all the Canadian content on Inside Soccer was listed EXCEPT the two ocassions WFP appeared (the most recent about 3 weeks past). That's not very bloody nice now is it considering we are Canadian and like Elaine (mentioned twice), we are doing our best to keep our amateur and pro game in print.

Oh, and yes, WFP also prints Voyageurs Cup reports! What do you think we need to do to rank at least equal treatment?

The two back-to-back editorials mentioned were sort of fun to play with. Elaine's strict posting rules actually shocked me, but given the fluff and bubbles nature of GoBigRed I suppose it's not surprising! In contrast, the frequent overly depressing rhetoric issued by a number of Voyageurs (answer to everything... hang Yallop and the CSA) was irritating me, and I, like Brian Halliday of IS, thought it generally destructive to the cause.

So as Gordon rightly mentions (letter received thanks) there was some irony in the back-to-back positioning. I really wanted to demonstrate the two extremes and maybe in the process, nudge people to the middle.

I'm disappointed with Joe, who like many over the years, is willing to damn WFP simply because he doesn't like our wee Posterboy, who happens to be full of the same piss and vinegar that most passionate fans display in one form or another. To forsake the entire paper on those grounds is just laughable. I wonder if Joe reads the Province when they run their traditional sensationalist, public frenzy headlines or slutty fashion section. Does Posterboy offend you more than the entire rack of breasts reaching your kids from every magazine stand in the country. Does Joe's child play violence and sex repackaged as Sony Playstation games, or does the family sit down to Survivor for a does of everything wrong in the word!!! Oh probably, but my God, have you seen that terrible finger!!!

WFP reaches a far wider audience than many realise, cause despite all this PC crap many know that behind that passionate little fella is a bloody good newspaper. 18-35 is not even close... try 14-70, seriously.

Of course, if one picture in a sea of good stuff is still too much for some, they can hide from the real world at places like GoBigRed that have also never supported WFP's efforts to put our game on the printed map, despite our efforts to support them for ultimately doing what we all need - keeping football forefront in the media.

It's the apathy apparent in some of these posts that suggest a broad-scope, soccer=specific pub like WFP will never survive in this pc-crazy, fickle land. Fortunately for the many who paint that landscape, if WFP disappears they can firmly point their own fingers at our beleagured little footy fan and say with pride, who cares if WFP printed more national and BC amateur news - with no money at hand - than The Province ever did with their millions... who cares, they deserve to go out of business what with that horrible little 2 inch picture.

Have a lovely day. And in the immortal words of Douglas Adams... Thanks for all the fish.

quote:Originally posted by wfp

My God I'm almost honoured that this forum mentioned World Football Pages. It happens so rarely I have no idea how to feel about it :-) Though I did notice that way back at the thread's beginning, all the Canadian content on Inside Soccer was listed EXCEPT the two ocassions WFP appeared (the most recent about 3 weeks past). That's not very bloody nice now is it considering we are Canadian and like Elaine (mentioned twice), we are doing our best to keep our amateur and pro game in print.

Oh, and yes, WFP also prints Voyageurs Cup reports! What do you think we need to do to rank at least equal treatment?

The two back-to-back editorials mentioned were sort of fun to play with. Elaine's strict posting rules actually shocked me, but given the fluff and bubbles nature of GoBigRed I suppose it's not surprising! In contrast, the frequent overly depressing rhetoric issued by a number of Voyageurs (answer to everything... hang Yallop and the CSA) was irritating me, and I, like Brian Halliday of IS, thought it generally destructive to the cause.

So as Gordon rightly mentions (letter received thanks) there was some irony in the back-to-back positioning. I really wanted to demonstrate the two extremes and maybe in the process, nudge people to the middle.

I'm disappointed with Joe, who like many over the years, is willing to damn WFP simply because he doesn't like our wee Posterboy, who happens to be full of the same piss and vinegar that most passionate fans display in one form or another. To forsake the entire paper on those grounds is just laughable. I wonder if Joe reads the Province when they run their traditional sensationalist, public frenzy headlines or slutty fashion section. Does Posterboy offend you more than the entire rack of breasts reaching your kids from every magazine stand in the country. Does Joe's child play violence and sex repackaged as Sony Playstation games, or does the family sit down to Survivor for a does of everything wrong in the word!!! Oh probably, but my God, have you seen that terrible finger!!!

WFP reaches a far wider audience than many realise, cause despite all this PC crap many know that behind that passionate little fella is a bloody good newspaper. 18-35 is not even close... try 14-70, seriously.

Of course, if one picture in a sea of good stuff is still too much for some, they can hide from the real world at places like GoBigRed that have also never supported WFP's efforts to put our game on the printed map, despite our efforts to support them for ultimately doing what we all need - keeping football forefront in the media.

It's the apathy apparent in some of these posts that suggest a broad-scope, soccer=specific pub like WFP will never survive in this pc-crazy, fickle land. Fortunately for the many who paint that landscape, if WFP disappears they can firmly point their own fingers at our beleagured little footy fan and say with pride, who cares if WFP printed more national and BC amateur news - with no money at hand - than The Province ever did with their millions... who cares, they deserve to go out of business what with that horrible little 2 inch picture.

Have a lovely day. And in the immortal words of Douglas Adams... Thanks for all the fish.

Please, give me a moment. I feel a tear coming on.:(

quote:Please, give me a moment. I feel a tear coming on.:(

My God, hell hath frozen, I agree with Robert.

Actually, WFP after all your speculative post (which hypocritically is the same thing I did about your sheet) I just didn't know or think you were a Canadian publication. Simple as that. You weren't on my radar screen (my fault) I never had cause to read it and simply didn't know.

All the talk of including Elaine and not you was just that talk, I didn't think. Post the dates and I will gladly put them on there with my apologies. It was simply an oversight on my part.

Canadian soccer isn't political is it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Originally posted by leekoo - 08/12/2005 : 12:39:26</u>

Inside Soccer Talk Radio Live Every Saturday

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/show.asp?sid=26

5 pm to 9 pm Eastern Time

Toll Free Phone-in

888-514-2100

24/7 Archives

This Week's Canadian Guests

7:00 pm ~ Bruce Thomas, Toronto Bid Committee 07 WYC

8:00 pm ~ Vic Montagliano, BC Soccer Ass

* requires Windows Media Player download available at

* http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/player.aspx

September 24, 2005

Richard Bate CSA Technical Director

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=18282

Andy Sharpe President Canadian Soccer Association

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playlist.asp?SegmentID=18289

August 27, 2005

Tony Waiters former Canadian National Team Coach

http://www.worldtalkradio.com/playl...SegmentID=17632

Good interview with Tony talking about the CSA TD position. Tony knows who it is and approves. I think that's a good sign because if he didn't approve I would think he'd be inclined to say nothing.

See first page of thread for complete archives

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6237&whichpage=1

• 1 month later...

Extemely low key almost monosyllabic interview with Richard Bate. Not really worth listening to as he didn't say anything. The usual, get the opinion of others, consensus stuff. One would get the impression he wasn't too impressive but I get the feeling that this guy has something below the surface. A thinker.

Andy Sharpe - Brian killing time with the Partick Thistle, Scottish soccer schtick then going on about Bate being English.

Bate's contract runs until 2009 and a priority is to mesh together training centres as he did with English academies. He has six months to do an analysis, but first will meet Dale in Bolton and later go on a 5/6 city tour. I assume that meant Bate in Canada not with Dale in England.

Andy's finished in May 2006 and will likely retire from provincial/national soccer.

Andy says time is running out on the stadium and they need a decision in the next 6 to 8 weeks. They have a Plan B and C. Didn't say what they were.

Re: Frank Yallop rumour, Andy has him under contract and doesn't plan on releasing him. Says he hasn't heard from Frank who would be the kind of guy to tell him face to face.

• 1 month later...

Archived