ChampionsWorld matches in Montreal?

Massive Attack

At the end of the Parma-Calgiari match on TLN this morning, Alf DeBlasis mentioned that a big announcement of an international match in Montreal would be made during the half-time of the Inter-Lecce game (probably around 12:00 noon ET).

Edit: Do the mods want to move this to the general disussion forum and consolidate it with the other thread?

They mentioned on TLN that the source of this info is an interview conducted by Tony Marinaro and Noal Butler of the Team 990 montreal (on their weekly 1 hour soccer show on the saturdays at 11:00 am)with Legend Georgio Chinalia that Championsworld will be bringing two games two montreal, thus 4 teams with at least one of the teams being from Italy, given the large italian community in Montreal. Would love to see an italian team (Ac Milan or Juventus) play a portuguese team Porto or Benfica. The Big "0" would packed to the rafters.

On a darker note Championsworld, has filed for chapter 11 in the US, so this is far from being offical.

This is true I've heard they plan to go ahead. A few weeks ago on a Celtic game broadcast it was mentioned that the company had contacted Celtic and were going ahead with a tour (looks like the Celts are declining though), but don't I understand that they are in arears to the CSA and perhaps in some filter down capacity the OSA to the tune of $500, 000 USD for the two games in TO last year?? Anyone know anything of this??

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

This is true I've heard they plan to go ahead. A few weeks ago on a Celtic game broadcast it was mentioned that the company had contacted Celtic and were going ahead with a tour (looks like the Celts are declining though), but don't I understand that they are in arears to the CSA and perhaps in some filter down capacity the OSA to the tune of $500, 000 USD for the two games in TO last year?? Anyone know anything of this??

Putting in a temp grass field in Skydome is certainly expensive and that may have been a central issue.

On FSW Report they said that the 2005 event might take-on a tournament format. So that the teams playing will be unknown ahead of time in some cases.

This seems like a bad idea to me since everyone I know who goes to these games goes to see a particular team, not just for the sake of seeing any Euro football clubs.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

On FSW Report they said that the 2005 event might take-on a tournament format. So that the teams playing will be unknown ahead of time in some cases.

This seems like a bad idea to me since everyone I know who goes to these games goes to see a particular team, not just for the sake of seeing any Euro football clubs.

The teams that are supposed to be involved in the Montreal games:

Liverpool FC, FC Porto, Juventus and 1 other club, should be interesting.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Well, I don't know if anyone one followed it two years back, or will this comming summer, but the Peace cup (run by the 'Moonies') over here in korea followed a tournament format. (two groups - four teams each - three games) So the only unknown was who would be in the final (it was just #1v#1) all other matches were set down long ahead. Of course the Moonies put up $2,000,000 USD for the winner so the clubs accepted the one unknown. Last winner was PSV. LA showed up (to show off Hong Myung Bo) but the looked sh*te, I know Spurs are in this years feild, but not sure of the others (the moonies own team of course)

• 3 weeks later...

Once again the team 990 montreal as been following this project closely. Last Saturday march 19 2005, Tony Marinaro had Giorgio Chinalia on once again, as a follow up. Giorgio mentioned that he's had talks with Joey Saputo of the Saputo group to get things moving in this file. Marinaro followed up by calling Saputo on air. Joey mentioned that he's had informal talks with Giorgio. He also mentioned that no strides have been made with the city of montreal, or the olynpic stadium installations board as to a date and/or agreement on renting the Big "0". This leads me to believe that given that we are only 3 months away from a proposed late july date that it is unlikely that we will see any games in MONTREAL. We must not forget that mayor Gerald Tremblay faught tooth and nail to have the World Aquatic games reinstated in montreal, after the world governing body had cancelled the games in Montreal. My conclusion is that, it will be extremely difficult to get the citys' support, when the world Aquatic games will be held during that same period. Don't forget we are dealing with an entity that has filed for chapter 11 in the US, and has yet to begin preliminary talks with the City of Montreal. Giorgio went on to mention that this years version would take on a tournament format played exclusively on the eastern seabord. He mentioned that he would like to see a Juventus Chelsea match for montreal, or two italian teams facing off each other given Montreals large and ethusiastic Italian Community. He also mentioned that TO would also host at least one game given last years success. Hopefully more interesting news is to come.

Archived