Whitecaps confirm Sunderland matches

Richard

VANCOUVER, BC – The Vancouver Whitecaps FC in conjunction with the BC Soccer Association today [Monday February 21st] announced the Whitecaps will play Sunderland AFC of the English Championship League on Saturday, July 16th at Swangard Stadium. Sunderland will embark on a three game west coast tour which will also include matches in Seattle and Portland.

“This is an incredible opportunity to bring a feature English club with a storied history to Vancouver,” said Bob Lenarduzzi, Director of Soccer Operations. “It will allow our players a chance to receive some valuable experience, and our fans to see some top international stars.”

Founded in 1879, Sunderland is one of England’s most supported franchises. Their incredible history includes eight English First Division Championships and two FA Cups. Currently the Black Cats are in third place in the Championship League with an 18-6-9 record (60 points). The top two clubs qualify for a place in Premiership for the subsequent season, while teams’ three to six go into a playoff to determine the last spot.

Sunderland’s roster is highlighted by 21-year-old Irish scoring sensation, Stephen Elliott and veteran English striker, Marcus Stewart. In his first season in the Championship League Elliott has already amassed 13 goals, currently tied for twelfth in the league. Stewart has chipped in with 12 goals, which includes a recent hat-trick in Sunderland’s 4-2 victory over Watford on February 12th.

Following Sunderland’s match in Vancouver, the Black Cats head south to Seattle to play the Seattle Sounders on July 20th at Qwest Field. The final leg of the tour will see the English side take on the Portland Timbers on July 23rd at PGE Park.

Tickets for the July 16th match at Swangard Stadium are included in all Whitecaps full-season, half-season, and five-game ticket packages. Single game tickets will be available in early April. Whitecaps season tickets start at less than $6 per game. For more information please call 604.669.WAVE (9283) or visit us on the web at whitecapsfc.com

This has the same "quality" to it as bringing in the LA Galaxy.

Marcus Stewart- wow.

I heard that a local radio station is considering running a competition for the Whitecaps.

First prize is a pair of tickets to the game.

Second prize is 2 pairs of tickets to the game.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Marcus Stewart- wow.

I heard that a local radio station is considering running a competition for the Whitecaps.

You're just jealous ;)

i wouldn't go that far fury. remember, those players were signed from the nats B team. they are more likely to look more impressive in canada red than whitecap white.

i think this is great simply for the exposure for the whitecaps to the community, and the feeling the players will get from playing a championship/premiership side. not the same feeling playing los angeles. not the same luster - despite what we all know about sunderland. who would you rather play if you had to choose between los angeles and sunderland!?

this is great. hopefully they don't overcharge for tickets.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Marcus Stewart- wow.

Wow...talk about your beggars being choosers. A team knocking on the Premiership door, been around for over 100 years, could be bringing as many as 500-1000 diehard fans...and that's not good enough for G-man?

So, I guess if it isn't Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea or Real Madrid...we just shouldn't bother?

I'm guessing the "G" in "G-Man" does not stand for "Grateful".

Not to be nitpicky but the article refers to Sunderland AFC as a "franchise." Has the North American sports psyche become so deformed by our uber-capitalist leagues that that is the only way we can even conceive of organizing leagues? Also, since when does the Championship feature "top international stars" Mr. Lenarduzzi? Little bit of the oversell there.

Mike.

quote:Originally posted by BHTC Mike

Not to be nitpicky but the article refers to Sunderland AFC as a "franchise." Has the North American sports psyche become so deformed by our uber-capitalist leagues that that is the only way we can even conceive of organizing leagues? Also, since when does the Championship feature "top international stars" Mr. Lenarduzzi? Little bit of the oversell there.

Mike.

I'm sure the English Championship Division is loaded with international stars. It may not be La Liga or Bundesliga, but it's on par or better than most European First Divisions.

I'm sure you are bang-on with the 'franchise' commment. How depressing.

Archived