Name these Hockey National Teams

Grizzly

Since we have been getting into pretty heated debate about Di Canio and Mussolini, here is something a bit lighter. Who is the hockey expert who can name these teams?

armvsire4.jpg

Armenia versus Ireland (2 points each for beaches and Sigma)

This is a classic by any standard!

moose1.jpg

The Ice Blacks doing the Haka (The Rugby guys stole it from us, just look at the long tradition of hockey in NZ compared to rugby!) Maybe they can start a new show, not Stars on Ice but Haka on Ice. (2 points for beaches)

No team picture but pretty spiffy logo

index_r3_c8.gif

Andorra (good guess sigma, 2 points)

HK_Bosna_1987.jpg

Bosnia and Herzogovina's team while they were still part of Yugoslavia. Impressive that beaches recognized the rink and guessed Sarajevo which I think is close enough for the full 2 points

Part 1: 6 points beaches 4 points sigma

Two guest teams playing in Mexico City (note the thousands of crazed Mexican hockey fanatics in the stands preparing to throw bags of urine during this heated match). Someone needs to inform the Mexican organizers that the refs are actually supposed to be on the ice.

71.jpg

New Zealand versus North Korea (is this a Nike jersey SABuffalo or did you mix it up with China's? 3 points redhat 1 for beaches

New Zealand v. Cuba?

Look at this logo. Don't show it to the NHL brass or it'll soon be on a NHL jersey.

NST-2004-500px.jpg

Australia 1 point each for redhat and beaches

Gotta be Australia

Isn't that tripping?

luxlie011.sized.jpg

Luxembourg and Liechtenstein 1 point each for beaches and redhat

Luxumbourg v Liechenstein for minnow champ?

This federation only had pictures of their women's team but who's complaining?

9Girlsplayers.jpg

(Thailand's womens team. 1 point to beaches for being close)

Bangkok?

PS: SORRY, HIT THE EDIT BUTTON RATHER THAN REPLY BY MISTAKE...CAN YOU REPOST PICTURES ON THIS POST GRIZ?

Divided some of the points between redhat and beaches because I don't know what time beaches posted after he erased a few of the pictures and I had to repost them but redhat also edited his answers for the second group. beaches 10, redhat 5, sigma 4

H.H. Sheikh Falah bin Zayed, the chairman of this nation's ice hockey federation:

sh.jpg

UAE 2 points beaches

Could start a great hockey rivalry with the team above

isr_2000.jpg

Above and below both Israel 1 point argh

The jersey of Mizrahi, a hockey legend in some countries

isr_paita.jpg

Celebrating a great victory in front of thousands of adoring fans

10.jpg

South Korea. Not sure if this is the national team or a club team as they have changed their national jersey frequently and their website was only in Korean which I can't read. 2 points for beaches

And their asian rival also celebrating

photo_m589p0c745g.jpg

Japan 2 points beaches

beaches well in the lead with 16 points to 5 for redhat, 4 for sigma and 1 for argh

Looks like someone is suffering hockey withdrawl. I've managed to cure this by going to live games instead of watching on the tube. Been to some Major Jr A , some tier 2 Jr A , and one CIS. Try that it may help ;)

I don't have a clue who those teams are except Israel!

For those of you unable to figure out this team from its jersey, a hint, finished last in the lowest division last year in its international debut.

arm_2004.jpg

Obviously Armenia 1 point beaches

An international jersey almost as famous as the CCCP

tai_paita.jpg

Taiwan aka Chinese Tapei 2 points beaches

In addition to having an incredibly interesting jersey design, this country featured a club team in the 1930's named the Maple Leafs. At the moment their club with the most interesting name is the AMA-Horneys who play in their top division.

saf_1998.jpg

redhat 1 point

A team from a formerly powerful country whose most famous leader is known today not by his proper name but the name "Great Leader" in his native tongue.

mon_jersey.jpg

Mongolia good job by beaches on the history reference 2 points

Once again the Europeans are defeated by a CONCACAF side.

mex_maali.jpg

Mexico versus Iceland 1 point for beaches for getting Mexico with their name on their jerseys and 2 points for redhat the more challenging Iceland

The world renowned Cengis Ciplak who is almost as famous as Mizrahi.

tur_2004_2.jpg

Turkey versus Ireland. 2 points beaches for Turkey and 2 points DoyleG for Ireland

China proves that they will not be outdone by South Africa and Armenia in designing a creative logo.

chi_paita.jpg

I actually wrote the answer in the title so no points for anyone here

New score beaches in front unbeatably with 24 points followed by redhat with 8, sigma 4, doyle 2 and argh 1

1st post- guesses

Since we have been getting into pretty heated debate about Di Canio and Mussolini, here is something a bit lighter. Who is the hockey expert who can name these teams?

Armenia

New Zealand doing the Haka(?) war dance

No team picture but pretty spiffy logo

index_r3_c8.gif

Roumanian team, Arad?

HK_Bosna_1987.jpg

Looks like the Sarajevo Olympic rink...Sarajevo?

Originally posted by Grizzly

H.H. Sheikh Falah bin Zayed, the chairman of this nation's ice hockey federation:

UAE ( I lived in Dubai)

Could start a great hockey rivalry with the team above

IsraelThe jersey of Mizrahi, a hockey legend in some countries

Israel

[Korea (South)]

And their asian rival also celebrating

Japan

Here's my guesses:

Ist set: Armenia vs. South Africa (Springbok colours)

picture of New Zealand hockey team (war dance)

spiffy logo of Romania

2nd set: North Korea vs. New Zealand

Australian National Team

Luxembourg vs. Liechtenstein

Taiwan (Chinese-Taipei) - women's team

3rd set: Sheikh Falah --- UAE

Israel

celebrating team is Korea (probably PRK)

bottom team is Japan

4th set: Armenia

Taiwan (Chinese-Taipei)

South Africa

Mongolia (design logo)

Mexico vs. Iceland

Turkey

China

5th set: Bulgaria

Greece (Hellas)

Spain

Thanks, it was fun; better than the Mussolini thread ... ;)

edited because I missed some picks on 2nd set.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

moose1.jpg

That goalie seems to be enjoying himself just a tad too much :D

Well, since the topic came up, I hope you are all ready for the Div. III World Championships March 7-13 in Mexico City.

Teams participating include: Mexico, Armenia, Ireland, Luxembourg and South Africa.

Div. II World Championship is split into two groups. Group A April 10-16 in Zagreb features Australia, Bulgaria, Croatia, Korea, New Zealand and Turkey. The first day of the tournament features the heated match-up between the Mighty Roos and the Ice Blacks.

Group B April April 4-10 in Belgrade features Belgium, Spain, Israel, North Korea, Iceland and Serbia and Montenegro.

Div. I Group A April 17-23 in Debrecen, Hungary features China, Great Britain, Hungary, Japan, Poland and Norway.

Div. I Group B April 17-23 in Eindhoven features Estonia, France, Italy, Netherlands, Lithuania and Romania.

Oodles of hockey going on. :D

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

If anyone here's been to the Hockey Hall of Fame they have an awesome IIHF section where they have awesome national team jerseys. That's the place I spent most of my time actually.

I was fortunate enough to see that section when I was in Toronto last June for the Belize game.Much more interesting than the NHL section.

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

10.jpg

This photo is for Korea, but I'm not sure it's South. Is it

a Unified Korea team (both North & South)?

And yes, the IIHF section of the Hockey Hall of Fame is great.

Spent hours there. Didn't know that Thailand had a hockey team,

nor that North KOrea won the "D" pool early this millenium.

1st set

Armiena v. Ireland

New Zealand (Doing the Haka with goalie out of step)

2nd set

New Zealand v. North Korea

Australia

Luxemborg & Liechtenstein

3rd set

UAE

Isreal

South Korea

Japan

4th Set

Armenia

Taiwan

South Africa

Mongolia

Iceland & Mexico

Turkey & Ireland

China PR

5th Set

Bulgaria

Greece

Spain

DoyleG must be almost right I guess. But is it really Liechenstein vs. Lucxemburg? What symbol is that red lion?

And is it really Iceland vs. Mexico? The name Patrik confuses me. There is missing the "son" or "dottir" or these nordic name endings. That name makes me think about something like Croatia or Slovenia.

quote:Originally posted by Tim St.Pauli

DoyleG must be almost right I guess. But is it really Liechenstein vs. Lucxemburg? What symbol is that red lion?

And is it really Iceland vs. Mexico? The name Patrik confuses me. There is missing the "son" or "dottir" or these nordic name endings. That name makes me think about something like Croatia or Slovenia.

Well I guess I'm very inward looking when it comes to comes to hockey I didn't have a clue who most of those teams were untill others started posting.

But I'll betcha that lion on a jersey of red white and blue is the national team of Great Britain. That lion looks very much like this one .The flag of Nova Sotia

nova_scotia.gif

Edit: OH wow do I ever feel stupid........I didn't know that country had a Lion rampant shield and a red white and blue flag ......oooopppsssss. So what does that country and Scotland have in common I wonder?

quote:Originally posted by Tim St.Pauli

The name Patrik confuses me. There is missing the "son" or "dottir" or these nordic name endings. That name makes me think about something like Croatia or Slovenia.

If it is Iceland, there is a good chance that the player might be a Canadian or his last name is so freaking long (as can happen in Iceland) that it was cheaper to put his first name on the jersey. :D

Currently marking the quiz 1 day late. Giving 2 points for a correct answer except for ones where the name is clearly written in english on the jersey where I will give 1 point. The first poster of the correct answer will get the points as unfortunately I can't tell if any subsequent posters looked at other people's answers before answering. The final tally is beachesl with a whopping 30 points followed by redhat with 8, sigma with 4, doyle with 2 and argh with 1. Beaches receives the title of Voyageurs International Hockey expert. Don't know if that is much of a prize but I could buy you a couple of beers if we meet at a MNT game in the future. Hope the pictures were interesting and fun for everyone. All Hail Beaches!

Archived