Local Youth heads to Yeovil Town

Winnipeg Fury

Local Youth Heads to Yeovil Town

December 30, 2004

Another young Canadian has made the leap overseas to try his hand at a professional soccer career in Europe. Seventeen-year-old Gavin McCallum of Mississauga, Ontario has signed a youth contract with Yeovil Town Football Club in England.

After previous unsuccessful trials with Southampton, West Brom and Nottingham Forest, McCallum impressed the Yeovil Town coaching staff enough to stick with the youth side. Clayton Rosario, one of his trainers at Shooting Stars Soccer in Toronto, noted that a lack of fitness is what held him back in the previous trials. Through Francois Glasman, McCallum was able to get the opportunity with Yeovil Town and made the most of it.

Yeovil Town FC are currently in second place in Coca Cola League 2, which is the fourth division of professional football in England. The youth team is currently 7-5-2 in its division. McCallum has tallied twice this season, including the insurance marker in a recent win over Luton Town.

You can visit the Yeovil Town FC website to follow the progress of the Youth Team.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Is this the son of the former Blizzard and Canadian National Team member? (I forget his first name)

I had heard or read he was coaching in the GTA.

Trevor McCallum.

And yes, I believe it is his son. There was a feature on them a while back in the Mississauga News, it was the first I had heard of the younger McCallum.

Gavin is another player I played against for about 5 years. He played a year up in the 1986 season, as did Jaime Peters. We all played in the same league, Uccello, Peters, McCallum, Lombardo, and this list can go on. McCallum played most of his seasons for Mississauga and was always being scouted at younger ages, mainly around U14-U15. When we ever played him, we were always taught to contain his left foot... because thats all he's really got, suppousedly. Him and I actually knew each other quite well, he's a great striker. And yes, his father is Trevor McCallum, he was the coach of Mississauga; very tempermental and was known throughout the league as one of the more, "outgoing" coaches.

Gavin is not too tall, maybe standing around 5'7, very fast and can finish very well. As I said before he played on a struggling Mississauga team a few seasons ago, but played for Oakville last season (one of the top teams in the country, where I had also played). He's a great player all around.

At the moment I'm in University, and taking a break from soccer all together. I was actually struck with several back problems to my lower disks and had to take a break. This upcoming summer I'll be either playing in the OSL (a league lower then the CPSL) or in the CPSL, but I have to start getting back to 100%.

At the moment I'm in University, and taking a break from soccer all together. I was actually struck with several back problems to my lower disks and had to take a break. This upcoming summer I'll be either playing in the OSL (a league lower then the CPSL) or in the CPSL, but I have to start getting back to 100%.

Good insight on Gavin; I also read an article about the Shooting Stars Soccer, and they are starting a new program all intensive training for those inspiring to play at a Pro level. They have a location in Toronto, and one at ACTS centre in the Orangeville area. Francois Glasman and his training staff were responsible for sending Julian Deguzman, Calvin Rosario, Mike Klukowski and the list was long(don'remember all the mentioned names) to European clubs.Maybe after all there is still hope for some youth development.

• 2 months later...

i new gavin mccallum...he went to my highschool last year but took off for england this year...he actually lived aroudn the corner from me and i was on the same bus as him everyday!...kinda neat to see him in a league2 side that will for sure be promoted this season in england[8D]

Archived