CSA Player Scouting Oversight

analyst

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to this article, Vukovic has has at least three stints playing for Bosnia.

http://www.royalcityrecord.com/issues04/103204/sports/103204sp4.html

Frankly, I am struggling with the "wanted to play for Canada" part. Perhaps the next time you see his dad you can clarify just how it was the Bosnian federation discovered young Vukovic all they way over on BC.

Given that Dale Mitchell is reported in another article as scouting the Abbotsford Rangers in June of 2004 and the relative young age of the player, I don't think I am going to pin this one on the CSA. Rather, I am going to say the family owns this one. They choose Bosnia.

Glad to help you both out.

LMS, actually I won't be happy till we're much better than Bosnia and many other countries. Bosnia isn't highly rated by FIFA - its a small poor wartorn country, with a poor domestic league.

Gordon, in answer to your question, Vukovic's father played pro in the former Yugoslavia and he worked for a pro club in Bosnia as a coach before moving to Canada 4 years ago. The family applied for citizenship last spring. I suspect the parents were trying to do what is best for their son, even if that meant creating a second option for him. That is my suspicion, it has not been confirmed.

The CSA has never called, even though Vukovic has been playing here for 4 years. Bosnia Soccer was glad to take him as an underage player, even with the risk that he may commit to Canada. I don't know what the CSA was thinking.

Also in reagrd to your comment about Dale Mitchell scouting the Abbotsford Rangers, that is not the same team as the U15 Super Y League team, which is the one that Vukovic played for.

I didn't bother to read the whole thread, but this isn't "1984" and the CSA is far from all-seeing. It is very possible that a representative never got to see him or if he did, was unimpressed by his play in a particular game.

And usually, with the parent involved with another country, you'll usually see them push the child to play for that country, too.

Regarding Bosnia: they came within one goal of winning their Euro 2004 qualifying group ahead of Denmark, Romania and Norway; in 2006 WCQ they have drawn both matches so far, against Spain and Serbia; where their friendly opponents in the last few years overlap with ours, they have drawn Wales and Germany and defeated Malta and Finland (we lost to all four), and, furthermore, they have drawn France away. Granted, they have a significant home-field advantage, but at this point I don't mind aiming to be as good as Bosnia (I don't know about talent, but at least in the sense of achieving their results, as opposed to ours).

quote:Originally posted by analyst

Here's an update. I spoke to Vukovic's father today, and he said he and his wife have been called in for their citizenship test in February. Their son could have Canadian citizenship in a couple of months.

Im sorry to say Im sure that it will be a waste of time. He is capped with Bosnia. If this is the case he will be declined by Fifa to switches now!

as he already particpate in a game with Bosnia with only one passport on hand!

Same situation as Will Johnson

Alberto

The FIFA regulations refer to some possible exeptions, for example if the player has played for a country's A team. I'm not sure that a U17 team is an A team.

As well, he should have a good argument if he says he was only 15 when he played for Bosnia. He could even say that he was told to play for Bosnia by his father and he had to obey his father.

In Canada, chidren don't become adults and can't sign contracts until they are 19.

Alberto

The FIFA regulations refer to some possible exeptions, for example if the player has played for a country's A team. I'm not sure that a U17 team is an A team.

As well, he should have a good argument if he says he was only 15 when he played for Bosnia. He could even say that he was told to play for Bosnia by his father and he had to obey his father.

In Canada, chidren don't become adults and can't sign contracts until they are 19.

I much as I would like to say you are correct as this forum suggest that he is a good player, however Do not be mistaken he is toast With Canada ther is no exception to the rule Article 15 it is clear direct and to the point. He will fail on his attempt as will Will johnson, He belongs to Bosnia and there is nothing one can do. The rule clearly state that he must have two passports prior to any competation with any association which include exbition games at a youth level A team or not. Sorry but he should be only focus on Bosnia now regardless of his age when playing... In this case the parents or his agent made the mistake for him its ashame.

• 2 months later...

Update on young Mr. Vukovic. He and his family passed the Citizenship test and will be sworn in as Canadians later this month.

Congrats to him and his family. Being Canadian is an honour,

and with that, proudly cheering for Canada as well.

analyst, I have heard of this Vlad character. He plays for Abbotsford in BC am I right? I heard he has the potential to be one of Canada's best in the future. Problem with CSA is bad scouting. Often, players are passed up because they havent seen enough of the kid, or He plays on not the top team in the city, so he doesn't get as much exposure as He could.

Yes, he played for Abbotsford last summer in the Super Yleague. I am surprised you would have heard about him since you are in Calgary, and his Abbotsford YLeague team didn't play against any Alberta teams.

Canada is a big country, so scouting will always be a challenge, and the CSA will utilize feedback from provincial coaches.

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

I hope he plays for us some day so that we can give him the nickname, "Vlad the Impaler".

Its been pretty much established that he won't be able to play for us barring a change in FIFA rules. He is cap tied to Bosnia, and wasn't eligible for Canada at the time of the cap so he can not change his nationality in the future. Cool nickname though. Maybe the Bosnians will use it.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by footyfanatic01

Brutal...I dont understand these coaches are they on a power trip or something? Why aren't the best players being picked for something as simple as a provincial team...

This kid isn't eligible to play for Canada anyway. Why should he take a spot on the provincial team. Give the spot to a kid who might one day represent Canada, not to a kid who's cap-tied to Bosnia.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

This kid isn't eligible to play for Canada anyway. Why should he take a spot on the provincial team. Give the spot to a kid who might one day represent Canada, not to a kid who's cap-tied to Bosnia.

I am pretty sure that the eligibility criteria for provincial teams does not include eligibility to play for Canada. And given the number of new immigrants into Canada every year, I'd hate to see it go that way. It could be politics, or it could be the kid isn't good enough. Both reasons have been known to keep kids off provincial rep teams.

• 1 month later...

Vukovic and his family moved to Bosnia this week, giving up on trying to make it in soccer in BC and Canada, after being passed over for a spot on the BC all-star team this year.

The CSA people I spoke to said they did not know about Vukovic until too late because the BCSA did not tell them about him. By too late, they meant last fall when he played for the Bosnian U17 team in UEFA qualifying, even though he was only 15 years old.

Its too bad that BCSA staff coaches didn't tell the CSA about him. His goal scoring ability would have helped the Canadaian U17 team.

Its good to know the CSA would have considered him if they had known about him earlier.

Archived