Edmonton, Calgary Eh-League Fold - effect on MNT?

Winnipeg Fury

quote:Originally posted by soccerbeast

Varsity was a total wreck even when the LYNX moved there, the seating

was terrible,the only thing it had going for it was location, right on

the subway. Even the new stadium won't have that, it's in the middle of no where.

If the Lynx are drawing poorly because of they're alleged poor venues, then why not move the Lynx into the new stadium at York and save yourself a minimum of 10$ million US.

You have a club that is approaching the decade mark and has been a windfall for developing Canadian talent for Canada. They deserve much credit.

Don't the Lynx deserve the opportunity to start their season in York and see how it improves their attendance ?

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

If the Lynx are drawing poorly because of they're alleged poor venues, then why not move the Lynx into the new stadium at York and save yourself a minimum of 10$ million US.

You have a club that is approaching the decade mark and has been a windfall for developing Canadian talent for Canada. They deserve much credit.

Don't the Lynx deserve the opportunity to start their season in York and see how it improves their attendance ?

That is exactly what they should do. I'm not sure why they would even be thinking in terms of a 10k soccer stadium. While it would be the perfect venue for an A-League club IF it already existed, the fact that it doesn't exist and that it would cost a small fortune to build makes it a non-starter IMO.

Of course it isn't a matter of whether or not they "deserve the opportunity". Much will depend on what it actually costs to play in the new facility. I heard a clip of Nicolle on the radio stating that much would depend on concessions et al. That makes sense of course.

There is one other big negative and that will be the football lines that will appear on the field part way through the season.

It will be the big test. Given a new park, will Toronto soccer supporters attend a minor league soccer match? I have my doubts.

BTW, regarding Varsity, it was a pretty rundown facility in its last years but to be honest, nobody ever would have called it a palace. Still, if U of T had invested a little bit more money through the years (instead of letting it deteriorate), the facility could have stayed viable. There is no question in my mind that if they really wanted a proper facility at Bloor and Bedford, they could have rebuilt the stadium in stages much as we have seen in the UK. The main grandstand was still usable and could have remained usable while the east/south stand was rebuilt.

The problem with U of T is that while they are willing to talk a good game, that's as far as it goes. Too bad they haven't been honest about that lack of interest. The Argos should sue them for the million bucks they wasted on the New Varsity project.

db

The Lynx have never had a proper stadium to play in, and their choice of

game times and dates have always been a turn off for a lot of their support. The Lynx have done well but it's time for the MLS in Toronto.

What a load of horse poo. First off do you think that Claude Robillard in Montreal and Swangard stadium in Vancouver are jewels? The seating at Varsity was no different than the seating has always been at Swangard. The present stadium that Toronto plays in has about the same amenities as Swangard, difference is Swangard has 2,000 more seats.

Now what is this about Toronto's game times? Seems to me they start games at the same times as the other teams in the league do, the exception being the schoolday games which benefits their attendance figures because they are always sold out.

Do you really have a clue what you are talking about?

If you live in Toronto thats fine, but if you have to take the Greyhound

into TO for the match, take the subway as close as you can to the stadium,

walk the rest of the way, repeat the process after the match, you lose

the last greyhound out of toronto and are stuck there.

You've walked from Kipling Station to Centennial?

Archived