Know thy enemy: Paulo Wanchope

nolando

Wanchope Set For Spanish Move

Malaga are in talks with Manchester City in a bid to lure Costa Rica striker Paulo Wanchope to Spain.

Wanchope, who is out of contract at the end of the season, has already admitted he is keen on moving to La Rosaleda.

"It would enchant me to go to play with Malaga," he told his official website.

"I would consent to join this club as it is a competitive team that plays in one of the best leagues in the world.

"It is actually the fourth time that Malaga have tried to sign me and that fills me with pride.

"I would like to go to play with Malaga, but the bosses of both clubs would have to reach an agreement."

Wanchope added: "My contract expires in June of next year, but I would be able to sign a pre-contract agreement with another club in December 2004."

Wanchope's first team opportunities are likely to be limited in manager Kevin Keegan's side this season, with Nicolas Anelka and Robbie Fowler the first-choice strike partnership.

The 28-year-old, who has scored 36 goals in 51 appearances for Costa Rica, joined City from West Ham for £3.65million just over four years ago.

And the Blues appear to have no objections to the player's departure.

"We are in discussions with Malaga about the possible transfer of Paulo Wanchope," said City communications chief Paul Tyrrell.

"The player is aware of Malaga's interest in him."

36 Goals in 51 appearances!! Is there a better strike rate over that period of time in all of CONCACAF?

Chope is DA MAN!! but he is not the player he was three years ago when he killed at Copa America...the true key to stopping Costa Rica is to take care of Centeno...the guy moves the ball for them and without him Chope has to come down to get balls which basically takes him out of the game. Honduras found this out in the second half, and they drowned Centeno killing the Costa Rican game plan..remember Centeno is the key!!

quote:Originally posted by Lilloco

Chope is DA MAN!! but he is not the player he was three years ago when he killed at Copa America...the true key to stopping Costa Rica is to take care of Centeno...the guy moves the ball for them and without him Chope has to come down to get balls which basically takes him out of the game. Honduras found this out in the second half, and they drowned Centeno killing the Costa Rican game plan..remember Centeno is the key!!

Somebody please forward this to Frank!!!

In the past they have called Costa Rica "Pato-dependiente" because they were dependent on what Wilmer "El Pato" Lopez did to win games. Now he is gone and apparently doesnt want to come back wich makes everything fall on Centeno's shoulders, specially since this coach, Jose Luis Pinto, never changes formation and always plays with two defensive mids who's sole purpose is to recupe balls leaving the creativity to Centeno. Thing is when Centeno is nullified the only guy they have is Jafet Soto who has lost pace and is nowhere near the player he was when he played in Mexico a few years back. Pinto has stated that he will probably call new players for the next few games, because of what happened on the 19th. The team seems to be in a bad place right now cause two players have said they wouldnt play for this coach anymore and Hernan Medford (the guy who killed Mexico in the Azteca last Hex and now coach of Saprissa, one of the two most important teams in Costa Rica) is refusing to lend players to the team anymore. Guatemala may be lucky in that they find themselves playing a crippled team or they may play a wounded tiger and get beat bad, who knows....

Archived