Euro 2004 TV Numbers

Yob

From The Globe & Mail:

"A late Euro 2004 note: The TSN-CTV simulcast of the Greece-Portugal final produced a total audience of 1.3 million. TSN outdrew the main network, pulling in 807,000 viewers, compared with CTV's 511,000. Four years ago, TSN had an audience of 618,000 for the France-Italy final."

Anyone know what numbers Sportsnet gets for EPL games? I've heard they get up to 60,000, not sure thoough...

This article is also important to soccer fans for another reason. It states that TSN has lost their broadcasting rights to curling events such as the Brier and the Scott Tournament of Hearts. This means that Champions League games that in the past conflicted with TSN's curling schedule may now in the future be shown live.

Here's the link:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20040714/TRUTH14/TPSports/Columnists

quote:Originally posted by Metro

This article is also important to soccer fans for another reason. It states that TSN has lost their broadcasting rights to curling events such as the Brier and the Scott Tournament of Hearts.

Great news! That's worth a drink. Off to the liquor store I go...

CBC has out-bid TSN for curling. CBC is available in more homes, but they won't be able to provide the end-to-end coverage (pun intended ;)) that TSN did. TSN is looking to spend the money they saved here on basketball --- that is, more non-Canadian stuff. We all want more Canadian soccer on TV, but then people are happy when other Canadian sports are replaced by big-money American sports???

I love the Champions League, but TSN's curling coverage was more important. This may be great news for curling-haters, but it's not good news for Canadian sports at all.

More from that Globe & Mail article:

"TSN's studio show was weak. Anchor Vic Rauter did his best to bring some energy and enthusiasm to the panel. Analyst Dick Howard was, well, Dick Howard, which is to say polite and friendly. But first-time analyst Carl Fletcher, a former national team member, appeared tentative and looked nervous, even terrified at times. He was rarely insightful."

quote:Originally posted by DJT

???

I love the Champions League, but TSN's curling coverage was more important. This may be great news for curling-haters, but it's not good news for Canadian sports at all.

Also, consider how many champions league matches per year are prempted because of the Briar or the Scotts? Two maybe? You still get to see many many more Champions league throughout the winter anyway. Two is a small price to pay IMO. Granted on one occasion it was a very intriguing contest that they pre-empted. But if I weren't at work and really wanted to see that game, I could have found a way to see it since there are plenty of establishments that can pull the feed from the satellite when its comes to international soccer. If the Curling weren't on Cnd network TV, would I be able to do the same for that sport?

What is especialy important about curling is that its interest crosses many more geographical boundary and it is produced and staged entirely by Canadians. So they are creating work for Canadians and you get that Canadian feel from the broadcast. Whereas, for those broadcasts where the networks just buys the feed, Well how many extra Canadian jobs does that create?

Generally about 4 Champions League games were pre-empted...at about the time of year when the games actually meant something (ie knockout stages).

It's a loss for curling fans, I agree, but I don't think it's as big a loss as it's being made out here. Full prime time coverage will continue; it will just be now on CBC. And CBC is more accesible to Canadians across the country than the cable network TSN.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Also, consider how many champions league matches per year are prempted because of the Briar or the Scotts? Two maybe? You still get to see many many more Champions league throughout the winter anyway. Two is a small price to pay IMO. Granted on one occasion it was a very intriguing contest that they pre-empted. But if I weren't at work and really wanted to see that game, I could have found a way to see it since there are plenty of establishments that can pull the feed from the satellite when its comes to international soccer. If the Curling weren't on Cnd network TV, would I be able to do the same for that sport?

What is especialy important about curling is that its interest crosses many more geographical boundary and it is produced and staged entirely by Canadians. So they are creating work for Canadians and you get that Canadian feel from the broadcast. Whereas, for those broadcasts where the networks just buys the feed, Well how many extra Canadian jobs does that create?

I would agree with everything you're saying IF the Champions League got good coverage in Canada. That means 4 games per matchday like the rest of the planet.

I won't feel bad for curling fans because it wasn't humanly possible to watch the amount of curling TSN was showing anyways. What was it, 10-12 hours coverage per day?

quote:Originally posted by Current Champ

Im surprised everyone is being so nice to curling. I take a lot of heat for liking curling and isn't curling the number 3 or 4 live spectator sport in Canada? (Hockey, CFL, maybe Baseball, Curling.)

Well, I know the two of us (Free kick and I) who are defending curling happen to like it as well. But my main concern is the fact that all the curling tournaments in question have significant Canadian content and some are 100% Canadian from top to bottom (there are probably very, very few other sports events on TV that you can say that about) and I hate to see anything like that replaced by foreign sports with extremely little Canadian content (even if it's soccer, which I prefer as a sport) on TV. I also feel hypocritical asking for more Canadian soccer on TV while not supporting other Canadian sports on TV.

One should note that much of that interest tends to happen within a short period of time. It would be something if the TV number for curling were year round. Yet people don't tend to watch curling evets that do happen during the rest of the year.

Soccer numbers are small to begin with, but they have been growing over time. I think the EPL doubleheader averages about 80,000 every Saturday.

One should note that much of that interest tends to happen within a short period of time. It would be something if the TV number for curling were year round. Yet people don't tend to watch curling evets that do happen during the rest of the year.

Soccer numbers are small to begin with, but they have been growing over time. I think the EPL doubleheader averages about 80,000 every Saturday.

quote:Originally posted by DJT

CBC has out-bid TSN for curling. CBC is available in more homes, but they won't be able to provide the end-to-end coverage (pun intended ;)) that TSN did. TSN is looking to spend the money they saved here on basketball --- that is, more non-Canadian stuff. We all want more Canadian soccer on TV, but then people are happy when other Canadian sports are replaced by big-money American sports???

From my understanding, CBC will still still give curling the same coverage, except only one draw a day will be on the main network, and the other two on its digital channel "Country Canada".

Archived