Neil Davidson: Radzinski in Contract Impasse

Radzinski in contract impasse

By NEIL DAVIDSON

(CP) - Canadian international striker Tomasz Radzinski has turned down a new three-year contract from Everton, the English Premier League team said Wednesday.

"Tomasz Radzinski requested a three-year contract. We offered a three-year contract but he has now rejected that offer," Everton manager David Moyes was quoted Wednesday on the club's official website.

Radzinski, 30, has one year left on his existing deal with the Liverpool-based team. When Everton only offered him a one-year extension, he handed in a formal transfer request - which was promptly rejected.

Now it appears the two sides are at another impasse despite the new contract offer.

Moyes needs help up front with star teenager Wayne Rooney sidelined by a foot injury from Euro 2004. Everton did acquire Marcus Bent from Ipswich in the off-season but lost Francis Jeffers when his contract expired.

Other forwards on the books include Duncan Ferguson, Kevin Campbell and James McFadden.

Radzinski joined Everton in 2001 in a 4.5-million-pound ($11-million Cdn) move from Belgium's Anderlecht. He had eight goals in 34 appearances last season and 11 goals in 30 games the previous campaign.

Canada will be looking for Radzinski to play in an Aug. 18 World Cup qualifier against Guatemala in Vancouver. That comes just three days after Everton's season opener against defending champion Arsenal.

-

CONCACAF Notes: Canada will be a co-host of the final round of CONCACAF world under-17 qualifying next year. Saint John, N.B., will host Group B with Mexico, the winner of Honduras-Belize-Panama and one other country joining the Canadians May 19-23, 2005. Group A will be in Costa Rica from April 12-16, 2005. The group winners will advance directly to the 2005 world under-17 championship in Peru, with a third team coming from a playoff between the group runners-up. ... Honduras and the U.S. will host CONCACAF under-20 qualifying tournaments next January. Canada will play in Honduras along with the host team, Mexico and one other country. The top two from each group will advance to the 2005 world under-20 championships in the Netherlands. Canada is bidding to host the 2007 World Youth Championship, and a plan for an outdoor stadium in Toronto hinges on getting that under-20 world championship.

-

A-League Notes: Edmonton midfielder Sean Fraser is the A-League player of the week after scoring two goals and adding an assist in the Aviators' 3-2 comeback win over the Vancouver Whitecaps. Fraser was also named to the A-League team of the week, along with Edmonton goalkeeper Jose Luis Campi and midfielder Gordon Chin. Toronto forward Ali Gerba was also named to the team. ... The W-League team of the week includes Edmonton goalkeeper Stephanie Labbe, Montreal defender Katie Radchuck and Vancouver midfielder Amber Allen.

Guest Georgio

Wasn't there talk of Everton not being impressed with having to release Radz for International matches? Radzinski has proven himself in the Premiership where if he has an off season he will still score 7 goals for a team. I like to think that Radz is doing this for his country and desire to play in a world cup (there's obviously selfish reasons in every decision too). He can be a striker on many top quality teams and may be saying "listen, if your not gonna forogoe my services for these internationals where I will be given sufficient time to be prepared for games after long flights, I won't be as happy here anyways and it is likely that I will not produce". Just my assumption!

The way managers of today show little loyalty to there players, of course the pro players of today are solely looking out for themselves too.

Just Radz's agent giving Moyes a hard time. He's got it coming too. With the no-confidence vote Moyes gave Tomasz with the parade of forwards coming through Goodison I shouldn't expect anything less.

Still, Radz. dosen't strike me as one to bluff. More and more I'm getting the impression he's about reached the end of his tether as far as Moyes and the good ship Everton go. That is of course, unless he gets exactly what he wants.

Excepting Ferguson, when he was available, and Rooney, who'll be sold, Radz was the man at Goodison but still got sidelined again and again. Well then, it had better be a damned good contract or the Tomasz Radzinski show will move on thankyou. And with a year left in his contract, and a transfer demand on the table, his resale value is sweet eff all.

Radz will get a nice contract where ever he goes, and that could be lots of places given his style of play, while Everton will get piss all.

Which after last campain, is exactly how things should be.

I'm a little surprised with this news. He demanded the three year deal, then got it offered, and still rejected it. I think he just wanted to be sold off a sinking ship, and demanded the long deal, thinking Everton would never offer it. I guess he didn't bank on how desperate Moyes is to hold on to any quality on his team.

anyway, here is a link on toffeeweb

http://www.toffeeweb.com/season/04-05/comment/nick/02-Radzinski.asp

this columnist doesn't seem to have Radz's skills rated too highly

The columnist really makes Radzinski seem like a fourth/fifth string striker for Everton, when truly he is probably the most consistent striker on the Everton squad, personally I think he's better than Rooney. To me, Rooney doesn't have very much skill, but its 100% heart, don't get me wrong, that's a great attribute to have, but Everton fans and staff believe he is $50 million? Maybe in a few years... MAYBE. As for the writer talking about Radz, "Despite the fact he couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo and he has less of a footballing brain than your average cat, his pace and work rate always had the ability to unsettle teams. Last season he was one of our better players but, in a team packed with rank stinkers, it wasn’t difficult. If you compare last season with the season before, I’d say the fire in his belly has gone out." Seems a bit harsh saying his footballing brain is less than you average cat, but oh well, maybe its time for Radz to move on, maybe to the Bundesliga or another mid-table Premiership team. I can't see Radzinski doing anything too spectactular next season for Everton, they'll probably end up being a bottom Premiership team like last season, and he'll probably end up scoring 10 goals or so. For me, Everton is not the right place for Radzinski to play his football. They're an underachieving premiership side, with not much skill.

Guest Jeffery S.

I sure perked up when Betis was in the running for Radz after his Anderlecht period. I think it would be an excellent team for him, a team with technique, a big field, tendency to counter and look for spaces.

Wonder who Radzinski's agent is.

Yeah right Jeffrey (By the way, nice to meet you I'm Timotas:) ). A team such as Real Betis, or any other counter attacking minded team, with speed and nack for attack, would be pefect for Radz. A team such as Everton, is not an exciting attacking team, more of a possession minded long ball team. OH WELL!

I really got puzzled by this whole story. Here are some comments and point-of-views from the Everton fan forum:http://toffeeweb.kfogarty.com/viewtopic.php?t=847

Author: postmanfletch

Post subject: Radzinski Rejects Contract

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:22 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can not believe that Radz has turned down the new contract. It has been handled very badly by the board, surely this offer should have come first and not the 'insult' that was a one year deal.

I read a post about wouldn't it be humerous if we could not get a team to appear at the opening game of the season. This is becoming closer to reality day by day!

Author: bjm

Post subject:

Posted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:50 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Radzinski rejects a contract. So What? 8 goals a season is what should be expected of a defensive midfielder not a forward. Good riddance. Now he can piss off to Blackburn where he will threaten Yorke & Cole in the starting lineup. Scary front line...NOT!

Author: Brady

Post subject:

Posted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:56 pm

he is a cheeky little twat radzinski.

He thinks he is best forward at the club and he is ****. he thinks that everyone will be gutted to see him go but i'd rather see him go than stay.

he can't finish notin he needs about 3 chances before he scores 1.

i no he creates a few but that is what the midfielders shud do and the forwards finish them.

I would love him to leave in a swap deal for davis and have him creating chances and the roonster and marcus bent finishing them.

quote:Originally posted by Timotas

The columnist really makes Radzinski seem like a fourth/fifth string striker for Everton, when truly he is probably the most consistent striker on the Everton squad, personally I think he's better than Rooney. To me, Rooney doesn't have very much skill, but its 100% heart, don't get me wrong, that's a great attribute to have, but Everton fans and staff believe he is $50 million? Maybe in a few years... MAYBE. As for the writer talking about Radz, "Despite the fact he couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo and he has less of a footballing brain than your average cat, his pace and work rate always had the ability to unsettle teams. Last season he was one of our better players but, in a team packed with rank stinkers, it wasn’t difficult. If you compare last season with the season before, I’d say the fire in his belly has gone out." Seems a bit harsh saying his footballing brain is less than you average cat, but oh well, maybe its time for Radz to move on, maybe to the Bundesliga or another mid-table Premiership team. I can't see Radzinski doing anything too spectactular next season for Everton, they'll probably end up being a bottom Premiership team like last season, and he'll probably end up scoring 10 goals or so. For me, Everton is not the right place for Radzinski to play his football. They're an underachieving premiership side, with not much skill.

Rooney doesn't have much skill? Oh man.

You're telling me he does? He's skilled maybe in the English ranks, but is he as skillfull as any of the Spanish, Portuguese, French players? I think not. You cannot compare him to Henry, Raul, Ruud, when it comes to skilled strikers. He's all heart.

I hate England but Rooney is the most skilled player to come out of the UK since Gascoigne. He is fast, can dribble, is strong on the ball, can take his goals, can hold the ball up, lay it off, make the telling pass, do the unexpected. Essentially, he can do it all. And he is only 18. Whether he develops into a Zidane or a Figo at their prime remains to be seen. Like most British players, its possible his temperment may let him down, or the glory goes to his head.

And believe me, I personally think everyone else on the English side is overrated. I always said the day Owen burst on the World stage against Argentina in the World Cup that he would never amount to one of the best strikers in the world. Or Beckham is one dimensional. And Gerrand is over rated and disappears when the pressure is on. But Rooney is special even if I hate to admit it as someone who dislikes England.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I hate England but Rooney is the most skilled player to come out of the UK since Gascoigne. He is fast, can dribble, is strong on the ball, can take his goals, can hold the ball up, lay it off, make the telling pass, do the unexpected. Essentially, he can do it all. And he is only 18. Whether he develops into a Zidane or a Figo at their prime remains to be seen. Like most British players, its possible his temperment may let him down, or the glory goes to his head.

And believe me, I personally think everyone else on the English side is overrated. I always said the day Owen burst on the World stage against Argentina in the World Cup that he would never amount to one of the best strikers in the world. Or Beckham is one dimensional. And Gerrand is over rated and disappears when the pressure is on. But Rooney is special even if I hate to admit it as someone who dislikes England.

Observer, I don't like England either, but man do I love London. It's a great city. I'm sure you must enjoy it too. Lucky SOB!

Archived