Euro 2004 Semifinal - Czech Rep. vs Greece [R]

Grizzly

1-0 Greece. Greece scored goal (Dellas) just before the end of the first overtime period. Silver goal rule was in effect so game ended about 30 seconds later, a very sudden end to a game where noone seemed able to score. I thought this along with yesterday's final was one of the few really good games of the tournament so far. I was a bit of a Czech sceptic before the tournament but except for a poor half against Denmark were strong throughout the tournament before today. They had convinced me so much that I thought they would dominate the Greeks which indeed happened for the first five minutes. The Greeks survived the storm and managed to turn the game into the style they wanted afterwards. The Greeks were positionally excellent, very strong defensively and through their counters were able to almost match the number of chances that the Czechs had. The amount of good Greek chances seemed to unsettle the Czechs who didn't play with their usual offensive flair. The loss of Nedved in the 40th minute obviously hurt them but a team should not be dependent on one player. The Czechs were technically superior which allowed them some quick attacks but there were also long periods where they were outplayed. Why did Bruckner only make one substitution in the 40th minute (forced by the Nedved injury) in a game going into extra time? Not surprisingly they seemed tired and were outplayed the whole OT period. I think Rehhagel outcoached Bruckner. Koller is usually a much better finisher than he was today and if he is not finishing he is useless because his only other soccer skill is diving. After today the Czechs turned me into a sceptic once again because with their skill they should have won the game and a truly good team wins such games and are able to move things up a gear like against Denmark. The Greeks are however a superior team to Denmark and played an excellent tactical game and are not without skilled players themselves. Should set up a great final after what happened in the opening game. Can the Greeks knock off Portugal twice in one tournament?

One thing that I don't hear about Greece -- and maybe I'm way off base and that's why I never hear it -- is that they also have excellent skills man-on-man. They're great at keeping possession, without the fancy Cristiano Ronaldo moves -- they just turn, move, hop, pass, really nice smooth movements. Good possession play is bound to disrupt the opponent's game plan, I think. Doesn't hurt to be useful on the counter, too -- and that Greece certainly is.

I was expecting the Czechs to make it to the final, too. I thought they had at least a fighting chance against France. But I would be fine with either team going through.

Only question left is what kind of game will it be on Sunday? If it's a tight game, it could go either way. If there are some goals, I'm expecting Portugal to thrash them.

I expect Portugal to be slightly better prepared, of course...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

After today the Czechs turned me into a sceptic once again because with their skill they should have won the game and a truly good team wins such games and are able to move things up a gear like against Denmark.

But it was just one game. Anything can happen in one game. I don't see how this one game can indicate that the Czechs really aren't a "truly good team". I still think they are... one of the top few in the world right now, in fact...

Guest Jeffery S.

Greece is a good model for Canada I think. We are maybe as talented in the middle and up front (though missing a good free kicker like Tsartas), weaker at the back. But in the end if you really want to win something at our level you have to defend well and wait for your chances. And rely on the fact that opponents will underestimate you. Take your chances, surprise the opponent, and know how to defend an advantage.

Agree with all of the above posts. Will add I thought the Czech's looked tired throughout the match.

Wondering if Portugal's summer weather has played a part in weeding out all the northern and central European sides?

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

One thing that I don't hear about Greece -- and maybe I'm way off base and that's why I never hear it -- is that they also have excellent skills man-on-man. They're great at keeping possession, without the fancy Cristiano Ronaldo moves -- they just turn, move, hop, pass, really nice smooth movements. Good possession play is bound to disrupt the opponent's game plan, I think. Doesn't hurt to be useful on the counter, too -- and that Greece certainly is.

I was expecting the Czechs to make it to the final, too. I thought they had at least a fighting chance against France. But I would be fine with either team going through.

Only question left is what kind of game will it be on Sunday? If it's a tight game, it could go either way. If there are some goals, I'm expecting Portugal to thrash them.

I expect Portugal to be slightly better prepared, of course...

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Actually, you're absolutely right on your analysis of Greece. The European press has been mentioning this, but the reason why you may not have heard might be because when a team is great at defending and has no superstars, they won't be grabbing the headlines very much. [8D]

I think it will be a very tight game on Sunday. The Portuguese should be the favourites, but the don't count the Greeks out. Since the end of the 1st round, Portugal has given up goals due to defensive errors; Greece has not. This may play a huge role on Sunday...

Key matchup in determining who will win: Ronaldo v. Seitaridis.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Greece is a good model for Canada I think. We are maybe as talented in the middle and up front (though missing a good free kicker like Tsartas), weaker at the back. But in the end if you really want to win something at our level you have to defend well and wait for your chances. And rely on the fact that opponents will underestimate you. Take your chances, surprise the opponent, and know how to defend an advantage.

I'd have to disagree with your midfield comparison, Jeffrey. If you consider Stalteri as a wingback, which Canadian midfielder would be able to make Greece's squad, other than de Guzman?

Archived