WCQ - CONCACAF Semi-Final Round (R)

beachesl

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

And the Canadian equivalent of this meeting? Giving out ThunderStix to 8-year olds. Ugh.

Yes, this comes out more and more when Canada ventures into the world of int'l soccer. Our country just doesn't take it seriously enough. I think that things would change for the better in Canada with a nice run in WCQ. But its a chicken and the egg scenario. You need to win to get more support but getting more support will really help you win.

People here ( Voyageurs) are very capable of creating the proper supportive environment. But there is only about a hundred of us in all spread throughout the country. Our opponents can easily get equal numbers out to travel long distances to see their sides.

We would need to increase our numbers ten fold. But that is not likely to happen if the results don't come in.

The Catrachos can be beat in San Pedro Sula. We beat them there in 2001. I'm not saying that the Ticos are going to beat them, I'm just saying that it is possible. I have a Honduran friend who says that they always choke when they need a result. Back in September 2001, after they easily beat us 3-2 in Washington, he predicted that they would choke and not qualify; he was right. If the Ticos are intimidated and get screwed, I won't complain too much. What goes around comes around. There is a reason that the nickname for the Tico's stadium in San Jose, El Estadio Saprissa "La cueva del monstruo". It is a very nasty place to play. It should be an interesting match...

I predict a 1-1 tie. Ticos move on to the Hex.

• 3 weeks later...
quote:C 18-Aug-2004 St. Kitts & Nevis- Mexico Basseterre (2000)*

POSTPONED TO NOVEMBER 13

St. Kitts & Nevis 0 Mexico 5

Hector Altamirano (30')

Francisco Fonseca (39')

Sergio Santana (49')

Francisco Fonseca (56')

Francisco Fonseca (90')

Here's the schedule for the final day of the semifinal round, where all matches except Guatemala vs. Canada and Mexico vs. St. Kitts & Nevis have a bearing on who will qualify for the Hex. Included are links to possible Webcasts.

6:00 PM Eastern

Honduras vs. Costa Rica

Honduras: Radio America, Radio HRN

Costa Rica: Radio Columbia, 780 America

Trinidad & Tobago vs. St. Vincent & The Grenadines

T & T: Power 102 FM

7:30 PM Eastern

United States vs. Jamaica

United States: USSF Matchtracker

Jamaica: Power FM 106 (possibly)

Panama vs. El Salvador

El Salvador: Radio YSKL

9:15 PM Eastern

Guatemala vs. Canada

Guatemala: Red Deportiva, Emisoras Unidas

10:00 PM Eastern

Mexico vs. St. Kitts & Nevis

FT Panama 3:0 El Salvador (Pan advances)

FT USA 1:1 Jamaica

Edward Johnson scores for US at 15', Andrew Williams PK for Jam at 28', Jam has to win to advance practically)

FT Honduras 0:0 Costa Rica (CR advances with tie)

FT Trinidad and Tobago 2:1 St. Vincent / Grenadines (T T advances)

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

25' Panama 2:0 El Salvador

18' USA 1:0 Jamaica

FT Honduras 0:0 Costa Rica (CR advances with tie)

FT Trinidad and Tobago 2:1 St. Vincent / Grenadines (T T advances)

Trinidad was actually trailing in that game with 6 minutes to go. In other words, the HEX will really be a PENT next year.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Trinidad was actually trailing in that game with 6 minutes to go. In other words, the HEX will really be a PENT next year.

And, the winner was a PK in injury time. Wonder if the ref (Bastrs from Guatemala) collects an extra check frm Warner?

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

And, the winner was a PK in injury time. Wonder if the ref (Bastrs from Guatemala) collects an extra check frm Warner?
But actually T&T would have advanced even with a 1-0 loss. Both of their goals were "unnecessary" from that point of view.

All results from the final day (beachesl, I'll leave it to you to finalize the standings at the top of this thread):

Group 1</u>

United States 1 Jamaica 1

Panama 3 El Salvador 0

- USA and Panama advance

Group 2</u>

Honduras 0 Costa Rica 0

Guatemala 0 Canada 1

- Costa Rica and Guatemala advance

Group 3</u>

Trinidad & Tobago 2 St. Vincent & The Grenadines 1

Mexico 8 St. Kitts & Nevis 0

- Mexico and T&T advance