Anyone have following info on Jonathan DeGuzman

Grizzly

As I said above, I said he was a reserve player for the England side and still stand by that assessment as someone who lives in the UK. Certainly he seems to be a starter for Bayern but as someone who does not follow them that closely I really cannot comment on how secure that position is.

I stand corrected if by being transferred to an English side he will be making significant more money than for Bayern Munich who from my understanding are one of the top sides in Europe and I would assume would pay him a salary equivalent to what he would earn in England. Everything I read in the papers here mention that he wants to move to an English side to further his chances of starting in the national side and not to make more money.

And moreover, I don't doubt his talent. As I said in my post, he would have been a fixture in our side.

observer, well put. Yes, he'd be a certain fixture on our side, but did you see that phenomenal face-plant he did yesterday? I must admit, I laughed. Yes, this was juvenile, but the young man has left a very bad taste in the mouth. (Man, that doesn't sound right, does it?) To his credit, he finished his penalty with excellent technical grace. The face plant, however, still has me laughing.

Whatever the case, some people argued that Hargreaves would do more for Canadian soccer playing for England instead of Canada.

Which is absolute B U L L S H I T.

Our place in Germany would be guaranteed in 2006 had he chosen Canada. He's obviously a very creative and gifted midfielder.

It's too bad that Hargreaves receives so much press in the Canadian media yet shows no respect to Canada or the Canadian press.

English teams in general pay more than German teams and Bayern is quite thrifty for a top European team. They are willing to pay for a top player like McKaay but never pay above market value for players like teams in Italy, Spain and England. They also never pay extra value for a big name or national team player but evaluate players solely on their ability (this has been one reason for their consistent record of success on their budget). Hargreaves is not a big name, big profile player in Germany like he would be in England due to his national team play. Hargreaves would definitely receive a higher base salary playing for a club such as Liverpool or Chelsea with whom he has been linked than for Bayern. This is not to say he isn't making good money in Bayern but certainly nothing near the top of the football scale. He would also have much more chance of greatly increasing his salary in subsequent years in England and would receive far more exposure and thus endorsement contracts. Of course, noone knows why he chose to play for England because he has not said. There are certainly significant financial advantages of choosing England over Canada though (there would even be significant financial advantages of choosing England over Germany although Germany has had a superior team for the last 20 years). There are also other reasons such as prestige and better possibility of playing in the World Cup. However, the common denominator of all of the reasons is egoism and self interest.

The Brits I´ve met for the most part think that Hargreaves was born on a british military base in Germany, hence the peculiar accent. They are always suprised (and probably a bit embarrassed) when I tell them he´s born and raised Canadian. A Canadian on the national team?

He scored a good penalty against Portugal...AND whoever wrote here that he is not a starter for Bayern (or pretty much going forward for England) just doesn´t know their football.

De Guzman though, will have more trouble fitting into a Holland selection - and I´m not sure he would risk it, unless he can change his mind later with the new FIFA rule. I´m not sure what is meant by ¨feeling Dutch¨ anymore than I know what ¨feeling Canadian¨ means.

On a final thought, the word is that Figo in Portugal is gutted that Deco (a nationalised Brazilian) is part of the team...hence his embarrassing substitution against England.

Archived