Depth in defence: A quick poll

nolando

Davidson says in his article "Depth, especially in defence, could be a problem. But Yallop says he has more players to scout in Europe and the A-League."

Since it is suddenly one of our weakest areas I am interested to see what a list (in descending order if you please)of MNT defenders looks look like in the eyes of those on this board. Start with the big guys (De Vos, Stalteri, Jazic) and work your way down though Poz, Bernier, Watson and the other possibilities we have in Europe and the A League.

Nsaliwa and Hutchinson could also be added to the list as possible defenders. There are actually quite a few guys on this list who are not true defenders in that it is not their top position and the one they have played exclusively throughout their career. This shows the current weakness in our defence, if we had the quality in defence that we do at mid and even surprisingly at striker now we would be in good shape. The current problem is not the lack of depth but the lack of quality, proven depth. Only the first three guys have proven to be currently solid A level defenders. Reda had a great year in Norway but then got injured, we don't know what form Menezes is in and whether he wants to play, McKenna has some technical and speed liabilities and is not playing regularly as a defender at his club, Poz and Kappos are untested and Nsaliwa and Hutchinson are usually playing mid. The rest of the list are either untested or pretty mediocre. Would be nice if a surprise defender appeared out of the blue like Occean did.

Here is my 2 cents. But even though we lack true depth, this is not a terrible reserves list. I have high hopes for Reda and Kappos. Hopefully we will soon see the emergence of some of the youth nats like Matondo, Ledgerwood, Arango, Edgar etc. step up to fill the gap.

1. DeVos

2. Stalteri

3. Jazic

4. McKenna

5. Pozniak

6. Reda

7. Menezzes

8. Kappos

9. Watson

10. Bernier

11. Hastings

12. Pizzolito

13. Rodgers

14. Williams

15. Braz

16. Fenwick

17. Gervais

Klukowski should be high on the list. Playing today I understand. Edgar is close to being on the list already having had some playing time for Newcastle U reserves at 17.. And what about Oppong? Midfielders that warrant mention would be Nsaliwa, Imhoff, and Hutchinson.

Are we being a little generous with Kappos? He was called to the nats once and didn't get much playing time.. I don't know what his situation is with AEK but it doesn't appear to be as a starter. Klukowski Imhoff, and Nsaliwa all should rank ahead of him IMHO.

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

Klukowski should be high on the list. Playing today I understand. Edgar is close to being on the list already having had some playing time for Newcastle U reserves at 17.. And what about Oppong? Midfielders that warrant mention would be Nsaliwa, Imhoff, and Hutchinson.

Are we being a little generous with Kappos? He was called to the nats once and didn't get much playing time.. I don't know what his situation is with AEK but it doesn't appear to be as a starter. Klukowski Imhoff, and Nsaliwa all should rank ahead of him IMHO.

Re Kappos, with the financial situation currently at AEK and all the top players threatening to leave, he may become a starter by default next season.

Archived