Italy Euro 2004 squad

DJT

From channel4.com - Football Italia:

Italy boss Giovanni Trapattoni has named his squad for Euro 2004 but Pippo Inzaghi and Alberto Gilardino are missing.

The Milan ace, who recently had ankle surgery, has been left out after an injury plagued season at the San Siro.

There were calls for the Italian to be replaced by the Under-21 international Gilardino who has scored 23 League goals this term.

But Trap has decided to call in Juventus’ Marco Di Vaio as the sixth striker in the Azzurri party.

The rest of the squad is pretty much as was expected by most pundits even if defender Giuseppe Favalli has been drafted in ahead of midfielder Massimo Ambrosini.

Lazio’s Angelo Peruzzi is included as the third choice ‘keeper but there is no place for Brescia veteran Roberto Baggio.

Italy’s star men such as Gigi Buffon, Alessandro Nesta, Fabio Cannavaro, Francesco Totti, Alex Del Piero, Antonio Cassano and Christian Vieri are all in.

Trap will hold a Press conference at the Stadio Olimpico on Wednesday where he will comment on his squad selections.

Even if the tactician could make changes as he doesn’t have to name his squad to UEFA until June 2.

Squad:

Buffon (Juventus), Peruzzi (Lazio), Toldo (Inter);

Cannavaro (Inter), Favalli (Lazio), Ferrari (Parma), Materazzi (Inter), Nesta (Milan), Oddo (Lazio), Panucci (Roma), Zambrotta (Juventus);

Camoranesi (Juventus), Fiore (Lazio), Gattuso (Milan), Perrotta (Chievo), Pirlo (Milan), Zanetti (Inter);

Cassano (Roma), Corradi (Lazio), Del Piero (Juventus), Di Vaio (Juventus), Totti (Roma), Vieri (Inter).

I wasn't aware that Peruzzi had come out of international retirement.

Not too many midfielders, and one of them is Gattuso! Though I guess Zambrotta could play in midfield if needed. With 6 strikers it's likely he's going to play three strikers, with Totti sitting in behind two front runners.

Cudicini not being there is not a surprise. I don't think he has ever been called for Italy.

Preferred starting line-up:

Buffon

Oddo Nesta Cannavaro Zambrotta

Camoranesi Zanetti Perrotta

Totti

Vieri Cassano

On paper I think it looks more impressive that what England called, but whether it ends up being so in reality is another story.

Cudicini actually has been called up by Italy a couple of times for qualifiers but he has never been capped.

Agreed about Gilardino, It is ridiculous that he is not there, He has more than proven himself.

I probably would take Miccoli over Di Vaio

I dont mind having Corradi because he is so good in the air

I like that Angelo Perruzzi has been called. He has been really solid for Lazio. He was recalled also for the Spain friendly for the Baggio farewell and played the second half

it looks like that game really was the Baggio farewell.

Here is my XI

Buffon

Oddo

Nesta

Cannavaro

Favalli

Zannetti

Fiore

Pirlo

Totti

DelPiero

Vieri

I think the midfield looks strong, Fiore has had a great season and should be starting, Zanneti and Pirlo are always a threat and Totti supporting the strikers should be good. Vieri and Delpiero upfront because despite not having their best seasons, they always seem to step up for the National team.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'll be surprised if he plays Fiore, Pirlo & Totti all at the same time.

I like Pirlo but he might be the odd one out to start.Would be great coming off the bench to relieve Totti strait up or Del Piero/Vieri and pushing Totti up to forward.

Might also be difficult to get Fiore and Gattuso into the game at same time but as a fellow Calabrese,I can only hope.

Buffon

Oddo Nesta Cannavaro

Fiore Perrotta Zannetti Zambrotta

Totti

Vieri Del Piero

Trapattoni defends omission of Inzaghi

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/euro2004/headlinenews?id=301095&cc=5901

ROME, May 19 (Reuters) - AC Milan striker Filippo Inzaghi was left out of the 23-man Italy squad for a Euro 2004 training camp because coach Giovanni Trapattoni wanted to keep to a minimum the number of players recovering from injury.

Inzaghi, who got a hat-trick in the win over Wales that played a major role in ensuring Italy qualified for the tournament, missed the end of the season with an ankle injury.

He had hoped for a chance to prove his fitness in time for the finals, which begin on June 12 in Portugal.

'I had to make a distinction between players who were coming back from surgery - like Inzaghi - and those who had suffered only muscular problems, like (Juventus striker Alessandro) Del Piero,' Trapattoni said on Wednesday.

'I took too many question marks with me to the World Cup in Japan. This time I've kept them absolutely to a minimum.'

Trapattoni will not formally name his travelling party for Portugal until the UEFA deadline of June 2 but he is unlikely to change the 23 named unless forced to by injury.

The coach also defended his decision to leave out 21-year-old Parma striker Alberto Gilardino, who finished top Italian scorer in Serie A with 23 goals, including four against Udinese in the last round of matches on Sunday.

'At the beginning of the season Gilardino didn't play very much because he was always a substitute for Adriano,' said the 65-year-old coach.

'Now he's playing extremely well, but his position is already well-covered by (Bernardo) Corradi and (Christian) Vieri.

'Two years ago (former Piacenza striker Dario) Hubner finished top scorer in Serie A. No-one suggested I took him to the World Cup.'

Trapattoni said expectations were as high as ever in Italy.

'The minimum expectation is to win, because in Italy we always expect to win - just like they do in France, in England, in Spain, in Germany,' he said.

'But let's take this one step at a time. Look at the teams in our group. Don't think any of them are going to be a pushover. They are all strong.'

Italy are in Group C in the opening round of the tournament along with Sweden, Bulgaria and Denmark.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

No Cudicini? Hmmmm.

It's still a relatively new phenomenan to see top calibre Italians playing abroad in other championships like the EPL and la Liga . It started in the post Boznan era. I don't recall if Coco ( who was with Barcelona at the time) was called for team for Japan/Korea 2002. Nor was Zola who was a super star at Chelsea. In fact, I don't beleive that they have ever called on a player who plays professionally abroad. so I am not surprised by the Cudicini omission.

Its a big advantage IMO that sides like Italy have in being able to select the bulk of their players from small group of clubs that are known quantities and where familiarity amongst players is a big advantage. Unlike sides such as Holland and France who have their players scattered all over Europe. So I might be inclined to agree with Trap's philosophy here.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

No Cudicini? Hmmmm.

It's still a relatively new phenomenan to see top calibre Italians playing abroad in other championships like the EPL and la Liga . It started in the post Boznan era. I don't recall if Coco ( who was with Barcelona at the time) was called for team for Japan/Korea 2002. Nor was Zola who was a super star at Chelsea. In fact, I don't beleive that they have ever called on a player who plays professionally abroad. so I am not surprised by the Cudicini omission.

Its a big advantage IMO that sides like Italy have in being able to select the bulk of their players from small group of clubs that are known quantities and where familiarity amongst players is a big advantage. Unlike sides such as Holland and France who have their players scattered all over Europe. So I might be inclined to agree with Trap's philosophy here.

I'd think that the main reason that Cudicini is underappreciated in Italy is that before he went to England, he played in obscurity in Italy...Monza, Castel Di Sangro etc..

Even though his dad was famous he wasn't a household name in Italy so i guess its out of sight, out of mind...

Even Ambrosio and Roma, who arguably could be said are 'more' successful than the three called, aren't exactly household names as well...

Hes a fabulous keeper, but i'd say he has a better chance of playing for England (if he gets citizenship) than he does with Italy...

I'd think that the main reason that Cudicini is underappreciated in Italy is that before he went to England, he played in obscurity in Italy...Monza, Castel Di Sangro etc..

Even though his dad was famous he wasn't a household name in Italy so i guess its out of sight, out of mind...

Even Ambrosio and Roma, who arguably could be said are 'more' successful than the three called, aren't exactly household names as well...

Hes a fabulous keeper, but i'd say he has a better chance of playing for England (if he gets citizenship) than he does with Italy...

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Its a big advantage IMO that sides like Italy have in being able to select the bulk of their players from small group of clubs that are known quantities and where familiarity amongst players is a big advantage. Unlike sides such as Holland and France who have their players scattered all over Europe.

Hmmm... can't think of too many nations where the bulk of the players come from a smaller group of clubs than Holland.

Its a big advantage IMO that sides like Italy have in being able to select the bulk of their players from small group of clubs that are known quantities and where familiarity amongst players is a big advantage. Unlike sides such as Holland and France who have their players scattered all over Europe.

Hmmm... can't think of too many nations where the bulk of the players come from a smaller group of clubs than Holland.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

dutch selection: Defenders: Michael Reiziger (Barcelona, Spain), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Jaap Stam (Lazio, Italy), Frank de Boer (Rangers, Scotland), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona, Spain), Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven)

Midfielders: Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Edgar Davids (Barcelona, Spain), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan, Italy), Philip Cocu (Barcelona, Spain), Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, England), Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, England), Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona, Spain), Pierre van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich, Germany), Edwin van der Meijder (Inter Milan, Italy), Marc Overmars (Barcelona, Spain), Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven).

clubs and counties;

aJAX-hOLLAND

Barcelona-Spain

Lazio-Italy

Rangers-Scotland

PSV-Holland

Milan-Italy

Middlesboro-England

Man U -England

Bayern Munich- germany

Fenerbach-Turkey

Inter-Italy

that is a total of 11 clubs in 7 different countries. Therefore I am not sure about what you are getting at? How can you NOT say that that is a selection taht is scattered all over europe

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

dutch selection: Defenders: Michael Reiziger (Barcelona, Spain), Johnny Heitinga (Ajax Amsterdam), Jaap Stam (Lazio, Italy), Frank de Boer (Rangers, Scotland), Giovanni van Bronckhorst (Barcelona, Spain), Wilfred Bouma (PSV Eindhoven)

Midfielders: Rafael van der Vaart (Ajax Amsterdam), Wesley Sneijder (Ajax Amsterdam), Edgar Davids (Barcelona, Spain), Clarence Seedorf (AC Milan, Italy), Philip Cocu (Barcelona, Spain), Boudewijn Zenden (Middlesbrough, England), Mark van Bommel (PSV Eindhoven)

Forwards: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United, England), Patrick Kluivert (Barcelona, Spain), Pierre van Hooijdonk (Fenerbahce, Turkey), Roy Makaay (Bayern Munich, Germany), Edwin van der Meijder (Inter Milan, Italy), Marc Overmars (Barcelona, Spain), Arjen Robben (PSV Eindhoven).

clubs and counties;

aJAX-hOLLAND

Barcelona-Spain

Lazio-Italy

Rangers-Scotland

PSV-Holland

Milan-Italy

Middlesboro-England

Man U -England

Bayern Munich- germany

Fenerbach-Turkey

Inter-Italy

that is a total of 11 clubs in 7 different countries. Therefore I am not sure about what you are getting at? How can you NOT say that that is a selection taht is scattered all over europe

It is rare that they call Italian players playing outside of Italy, but not un-heard of. Panucci was called when at Real and I believe that Vieri played in the 1998 World Cup after scoring 25 goals for Athletico Madrid. Generally speaking though, they don't bother looking abroad when it comes to clubs and are even more likely (bizarre as it may seem) to take players of Italian heritage who are foreigners but play in Italy - hence the inclusion of Camoranesi and I've also heard that they are interested in Roma's Mancini, a Brazilian of Italian heritage (though I don't believe they've capped him yet).

take me ! take me! [:P] alas, i'm cap-tied tho :D

seriously tho, its not an altogether odd thing to have 'foreign' players on italy, in the 40s they did it, (though for different reasons) Altafini was one, Sivori was another, born of italian parents but brazilian and argentinian respectively (i think)

Claudio Gentile was born in Libya and Ferrari was born in Algeria....

a while back a player for Genoa & Reggina, Joseph Dayo Oshadogan played for the u21 team even though he was born in nigeria...Manfredini also was linked to a cap when he was in Chievo, even though hes Ivorian born, but italian bred...

I dont have much of a problem with it, but it gets a bit absurd when a player has to trace back to his grandfather or farther back to gain eligibility to play for a nation...

If i'm not mistaken, Mancini is tied with Brazil as he took part in a wc2006 qualifier recently against Chile...so it could be a moot point....IMO tho its in a spot we (i can say that, i'm a dual citizen :D) are well covered, the advanced spot would be taken by fiore/camoranesi and i hope the defense spot is taken by nesta...i say hope as i'm sure Trap's favourite player, Panucci will take it in the other event...

clubs and counties;

aJAX-hOLLAND

Barcelona-Spain

Lazio-Italy

Rangers-Scotland

PSV-Holland

Milan-Italy

Middlesboro-England

Man U -England

Bayern Munich- germany

Fenerbach-Turkey

Inter-Italy

True, but the bulk of the players are always at one of 3 clubs (PSV, Ajax, Barca). And so many of the NT players can say they've played with so many other NT players at a club-level. Altho I can see now that wasn't really your point at the beginning.

But I think it's a bigger advantage to have played with your NT players before or currently at a club (wherever that might be), rather than playing against them twice a year in one country (like most of the England team).

Archived